Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

Anyone else experiencing this? Our adopted retirement home, Ecuador, apparently closed itself off, and even residents can't get in. Of course, reliable info is impossible to get.

We're in Portugal and can stay in our nice beachside place, but our Greece leg is off the table I guess. That's where our flight home was to be.

No word from any airlines yet. I know calling would be hopeless. Do you think most airlines will eventually do the right thing, and notify, then refund? In the meantime, we will be overstaying our 90 day tourist Visa, and that website is hopeless too.

Thoughts? We are having a great time and don't mind it, except for all the business closures starting tomorrow. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:17 AM

61,698 posts, read 87,101,195 times
There is no way to know for sure. Just wait and see, or reschedule it yourself.
I have return ticket for May, so, I might be "stuck" here in the US - and I didn't get any notification from the airline, yet.
Not going to reschedule my flight, though, because everything might change till then.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
I am somewhat stuck here in Tucson for the duration of the CV epidemic. It's a good place to be for the time being, until the world returns to semi-normal. I had planned on returning to my apartment in Germany sometime in May, but I canceled that idea a few weeks ago when the risk of virus contamination at airports and on airplanes made travel plans too risky. Now I'm thinking perhaps in July, but that is still to be determined. Wait and see.

At least Portugal would not be such a bad place to be stuck. You can take a walk in the sun on the beach, and hopefully find some good food to eat afterwards. It might be takeout from a food stand, but it's still probably good. I would not be worried about overstaying the 90 day Schengen tourist visa. I think there are a lot of people in a similar predicament to yours, and the authorities will probably not fret too much at this point.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I'm gone too...

Stock up and utilize the break in routine to study / research / rest.

Only reschedule when you know where you can actually land!

I find people to be far more considerate in helping to resolve issues during these times of stress. (Unless you are buying that last roll of toilet paper). In USA... guns have been drawn over the 'last article on the shelf'.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Lucky you. I wish I was stuck in my overseas travel destination. Only 48 cases of COVID-19 in the whole country. 100% quarantine at the border with full testing capability and life going on as normal.

Sigh.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:22 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
OP, I hope the situation where you are does not deteriorate. Seems things are getting worse and creeping towards Portugal. Probably a good thing if they are instituting curfews/quasi-lockdowns ahead of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
100% quarantine at the border with full testing capability and life going on as normal.

Sigh.
Which country is this?

Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Tomorrow everything shuts down here. Our final cafe experience was yesterday, beautiful seaside place, with the distraught owner barely holding it together.

We are lucky to be able to stay on here another month or whatever at a very reduced rate. Great place to be isolated, right on the ocean cliff.

But I still don't know how to deal with my 3 flights. Will the airline cancel on their own since Greece and Ecuador won't let them in? Or do I need to do something ...not that I'd ever get through to anyone...

Old 03-17-2020, 05:21 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I have an Italian acquaintance who stuck in the USA but his visa is good until May and he is staying with a friend.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:02 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
But I still don't know how to deal with my 3 flights. Will the airline cancel on their own since Greece and Ecuador won't let them in? Or do I need to do something ...not that I'd ever get through to anyone...
Airlines are bleeding money right now so they will cancel flights if they can (many have already started). When are your flights? Which airlines were you supposed to fly?

Old 03-17-2020, 12:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Anyone else experiencing this? Our adopted retirement home, Ecuador, apparently closed itself off, and even residents can't get in. Of course, reliable info is impossible to get.

We're in Portugal and can stay in our nice beachside place, but our Greece leg is off the table I guess. That's where our flight home was to be.

No word from any airlines yet. I know calling would be hopeless. Do you think most airlines will eventually do the right thing, and notify, then refund? In the meantime, we will be overstaying our 90 day tourist Visa, and that website is hopeless too.

Thoughts? We are having a great time and don't mind it, except for all the business closures starting tomorrow. Sad.
Only thoughts is that the Ecuadorian government publically announced last Saturday that they would close the border after Monday. You lost that window of opportunity.
Enjoy your extended vacation.
There are thousand, potentially millions, in the same situation as you. These are extraordinary times but everything will work itself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel