Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 04:38 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times

Advertisements

With the current pandemic, if you have to travel (and I do):

If time, cost and all other criteria are the same, if you simply wanted to avoid coronavirus, would you take:

Amtrak overnight

You would be in a private room with a door. The room has a wash basin with soap and water. You could get dinner delivered to you on board, and you could totally avoid all contact with anyone other than the sleeping car attendant who you wouldn't touch. You would be sleeping on an Amtrak-issued mattress, with an Amtrak-issued blanket (which is wrapped in plastic, ready for you to unwrap). The departure station would be somewhat crowded but you'd just walk in and go straight to the train, and there would be almost nobody at the destination station.

OR

Flights totaling 3 hours, with a 1-hour layover

The plane would be probably half-empty, and you could sit in the airline lounge at the airport, which would also be half-empty. You could wash your hands in the airport numerous times.

Which is safer? I'm told that air on planes is circulated more often than in a typical office building, and you could be at least a few feet from people on the plane and in the airport. But Amtrak would have total privacy--but if anyone touched your bed or pillow that could spread coronavirus.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:03 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
The Amtrak attendant will make your bed. You can bring your own food in a small cooler.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Thanks. Great points. I will make my own bed and maybe even bring my own pillows, to avoid human contact and contact with things that people have touched.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
If I absolutely had to travel, this is the one time I would probably choose train over plane. But I would bring my own food, plenty of disinfecting wipes to clean EVERYTHING in the cabin, and I would probably bring my own linens.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Bring your own sleeping sack. (Popular 'safe' barrier for those using hostels) / bedbug protection. I would drive before I would take Amtrak, as they have left me stranded more often than delivered to desired location. Many times been transferred to a Greyhound bus. Not my choice of clientele during a pandemic.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I don't think you mentioned how long the Amtrak ride is. But I would probably go train simply because the sheer number of people in the area is lower. I would have to imagine the train would be mostly empty and you really have no reason to get off at stations along the way but if you did they'd be pretty empty too. The airports would probably have crowds to some degree, and you'd be forced to travel through three of them.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:22 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Without thinking about it too much, I would guess the train would be the better option if you have your own sleeping roomette/car.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:08 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
It will probably be a moot point, as the way things are changing every minute, the OP won't be going anywhere!

Old 03-22-2020, 09:34 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
If I were healthy and under 50 I would probably fly with a mask and gloves and a few feet from others.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 AM

300 posts, read 148,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
With the current pandemic, if you have to travel (and I do):

If time, cost and all other criteria are the same, if you simply wanted to avoid coronavirus, would you take:

Amtrak overnight

You would be in a private room with a door. The room has a wash basin with soap and water. You could get dinner delivered to you on board, and you could totally avoid all contact with anyone other than the sleeping car attendant who you wouldn't touch. You would be sleeping on an Amtrak-issued mattress, with an Amtrak-issued blanket (which is wrapped in plastic, ready for you to unwrap). The departure station would be somewhat crowded but you'd just walk in and go straight to the train, and there would be almost nobody at the destination station.

OR

Flights totaling 3 hours, with a 1-hour layover

The plane would be probably half-empty, and you could sit in the airline lounge at the airport, which would also be half-empty. You could wash your hands in the airport numerous times.

Which is safer? I'm told that air on planes is circulated more often than in a typical office building, and you could be at least a few feet from people on the plane and in the airport. But Amtrak would have total privacy--but if anyone touched your bed or pillow that could spread coronavirus.

Thanks.
The sleeping car sounds much nicer (I've done it and it was a surprisingly elegant experience). Also with the train, you won't have to squeeze past or sit near others shoulder-to-shoulder and face-to-face - ugh. And you've seen the quality of people flying these days. Most of those idiots can't yet afford a sleeper car, so you should be safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel