Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

I am not sure how things are in the west but I live year round in Rehoboth and they have been very specific about not going to second homes here as an escape from your home in DC NJ & NY because you will tax our system here. I would assume it would be considered the same along your driving path. I also would not want to chance being the out of state driver that gets sick and needs their medical services. That said, I personally would not make a trip that far given you never know if a state would shut the border down to outsiders and then you would have made the trip for nothing and had to turn around. You can do this for another month in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 10:04 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Don't. That little town's medical community will be overwhelmed when the virus hits it and it will hit it. You would likely be exposed &or spreading it along with your traveling. My state's governor is telling part time residents & summer tourists to stay where they are-- "shelter in place". I'm sure MN has similar directives to stay home.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I was on the side of thinking it would be fine to travel until I read this very, very sensible answer.

Maybe let the 17 year old walk the dog.
Good idea, in response to another good post.

Don’t let the dog’s walk take precedence over the health of thousands of innocent bystanders, namely all the people you might spread the virus to and from. If you have your own yard, however tiny, exercise it in there. Do laps, do agility training, do fetch, whatever. Yes, this includes pooping it there and immediately cleaning it up!

Old 04-01-2020, 02:05 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
That has nothing to do with what I said.
Few times in a lifetime, there are certain critical things a person has to do, while thousands of times the same person does noncritical things. The fascist approach to lump all together under one umbrella and saying nothing is allowed, is wrong. Comparing a random leisure activity to a once in a lifetime career or family - saving action is stupid and rude, cynical, even sociopathic.
If you don't have anything important going on right now, lucky you, but don't pretend you never had to do something important and crucial.
It has everything to do with it.

You said the govt deciding what is essential services others, but not your needs. Servicing the people in this country includes you, since you are a person in this country.

What is protection for the people of the country is, by definition, best for me, for you, for others, since we are all people in the country. If you don't care if you get others sick, that's fine, if you go to live by yourself on a remote island. As long as you choose to live in a country with millions of other people, certain behaviors are expected, for the needs of us all. It's called civilization.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Essential to who?
I don't like governments only allowing you to serve others but not your own needs.

I bet if you get this virus you will change your thoughts considerably. This is not the time to be anti experts who are trained in this stuff, just because we want to be "free".

Old 04-01-2020, 08:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,426 times
Is this "essential" travel?

You said there is other family there. Would that now equal 10 or more people?

What happened to - Stay At Home - orders? Not in Wash DC I guess?

Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Is this "essential" travel?

You said there is other family there. Would that now equal 10 or more people?

What happened to - Stay At Home - orders? Not in Wash DC I guess?
Lawyers are already debating and debating and debating what constitutes Essential, and once they get it together, look for the lawsuits!

Old 04-02-2020, 06:19 AM

14 posts, read 6,196 times
This is not the right time to go out. Now the situation is very critical. Better stay at home for a few more days.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Isn't that someone from New York also potentially freeing up a hospital bed in New York, where greater shortage of beds?
And taking the bed away from FLORIDIAN who needs it.

Stay the f&** home.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
with the foot dragging done in Florida for the stay at home mandate done, I wouldn't be in a hurry to travel there anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel