Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 03:50 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times

Advertisements

My niece lives just a few miles over the NY state border. My mother's funeral was in NJ today, ten miles south of the state line. We were allowed to have eight people at the graveside for a service, so she came down...and was pulled over by Jersey cops. It was ok. He realized she had firefighter plates, albeit NYS ones, and she told them she works in the medical field at hospitals on either side, so he just waved her on.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:38 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,175,271 times
Would you have insurance coverage in MN?
Honestly I think it is incredibly selfish and the reason why the virus is spreading throughout the country.
I am in NY and would not want to possibly spread this virus elsewhere. Living through this nightmare, I think we should all be locked down to help this virus die out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 06:43 PM

8,525 posts, read 4,762,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
How would you really know?

I just drove from our parent's house outside of Cleveland, OH to Tucson, AZ where I live. Both the rental cars that I had were licensed in Florida. Right now, rental cars are a dime a dozen, even one-way rentals.

Honestly, I would stay home in place where you have everything that you need. You do not know what you will encounter when you get to a small town 1500 miles away.
Nah, these cars were lived-in and didn’t have rental car bar code stickers.

I’m not sanctioning it, just sharing observations that folks are traveling regardless.

I’ve little choice. I drive a truck, I go where the freight is.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,125,090 times
As someone who lives in South Florida and now all of a sudden we are swarmed with New Jersey and New York license plates, you are going to **** off the locals.

Eventually you will have to grocery shop.

If one of you gets sick, you will be taking up a hospital bed that would be going to a local.

Infrastructures aren't set up to handle more people.

Stay. Home.

Do you really think healthcare will be better in the boonies than where you are?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spendingtimeelsewhere View Post
So I live in Washington DC and my family has been "social distancing" (see been quarantined) for a couple of weeks now (we are two adults, ages 58 and 65, and one 17 y/o, as well as a dog).

We have a farm(ish) home that we share with the extended family in a very small town in Minnesota (population of about 400) that is far from other homes and would not put others at risk.

I would like to make the 16-hour drive to take my family to this house. All three of us are drivers so we would be able to have one person sleeping, one person driving, and another person alert. We have also learned that Walmart is allowing people to sleep in their cars in their parking lots so if push comes to shove we can sleep in the parking lot in the car for a bit so we are all better rested.

When we arrive the bottom floor of the house is fully equipped as an apartment would be with its own entry, kitchen, beds, showers, etc... so we would be able to "social distance" from the family that is currently there for two weeks to ensure we did not become infected at any point.

Along the trip, we would pack sufficient food and water for us and our dog so that we would only have to leave the car to walk the dog, use the bathroom, and purchase gas. We had masks before this began so every time we leave the car we could wear masks and even change our shoes and put the "outside" shoes in a closed bag when we re-enter the car (in the case of using the bathroom especially), and we have sufficient hand sanitizer so we could use that after washing our hands and after getting gas. We also have cleansing wipes that are not harmful to our dog but are still sanitizing that we can use on her paws after she has been outside of the car.

I don't know if this is too extreme or insufficient but I would really love to get my family to that house as I believe we would all be happier and safer there. To continue to put a 65 y/o at risk with every dog walk in such a busy city is painful and I would like to decrease our risks as much as possible.
Unless something like this is essential travel, you would be crazy to do it now, just for the sake of getting away. Stay put and stay safe.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:28 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Unless something like this is essential travel, you would be crazy to do it now, just for the sake of getting away. Stay put and stay safe.
Essential to who?
I don't like governments only allowing you to serve others but not your own needs.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Essential to who?
I don't like governments only allowing you to serve others but not your own needs.
No man is an island. People are spreading the virus. That makes behavior of people the business of us all.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:12 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No man is an island. People are spreading the virus. That makes behavior of people the business of us all.
That has nothing to do with what I said.
Few times in a lifetime, there are certain critical things a person has to do, while thousands of times the same person does noncritical things. The fascist approach to lump all together under one umbrella and saying nothing is allowed, is wrong. Comparing a random leisure activity to a once in a lifetime career or family - saving action is stupid and rude, cynical, even sociopathic.
If you don't have anything important going on right now, lucky you, but don't pretend you never had to do something important and crucial.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:29 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times
If compliance is not 100% then what's the point. If X number of states have loose or looser restrictions, and they travel elsewhere, they're putting others at risk.

I was told they're stopping motorists on the freeways entering, exiting CA, and taking the passenger's temperature. And what happens if you're running a temperature?

I'm so glad I O'ded on travel years ago, foreign and domestic, so I'm in no rush to go anywhere.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,590,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
As someone who lives in South Florida and now all of a sudden we are swarmed with New Jersey and New York license plates, you are going to **** off the locals.

Eventually you will have to grocery shop.

If one of you gets sick, you will be taking up a hospital bed that would be going to a local
Isn't that someone from New York also potentially freeing up a hospital bed in New York, where greater shortage of beds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel