Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:10 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times

Advertisements

It depends on your goal. If your only goal is TO GET THERE, then driving has limited appeal.
Road-Trip people tend to take it as it comes - stop and encounter unpredictable features of the journey.

In other words - the journey itself is part of the goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 01:21 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I've driven from Denver to Miami several times and I just like sitting in my car quiet (no radio) on a long stretch of road with just thoughts in my head

Old 04-13-2020, 01:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If you have to ask, you'll never "get it".
This pretty much sums it up. You can close the thread now.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
We take long car trips regularly every year. We don't like to fly because you are not in control, you are at the mercy of the airlines. Delays, cancellations, lost baggage, having to arrive super early to go through TSA, all contribute to why we don't like to fly, and that doesn't even include the cost. Where we live in Wyoming the cost to fly is outrageous. To go to a cheaper bigger airport such as Salt Lake City, is a four hour drive from our home. So we save a few bucks, but also have to drive just to get to the bigger airport, it's just not worth it.

By driving we can leave whenever we want, earlier than planned, later, at 3 a.m. on a whim if we so desire. We have snacks and drinks in an ice chest so we can stop as frequently or infrequently as we desire. Kids need to use the bathroom, no problem find a rest stop or pull p we at the next city at the gas station.

We've seen so many states this way and have memories galore that we would not have the same nostalgia for if we had just hopped on a plane. We did a road trip from California, through Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and home through Nevada a few years ago. We stopped when we felt like it, saw Craters of the Moon National Monument on a whim. Drive through Yellowstone twice, and passed the Grand Tetons, just because they were along our route. It was pretty magical and something we won't soon forget. Much more impressive than the inside of an airport.

We've driven to several National Parks and monuments, through the red rocks of Utah, by the beaches of California, through forests and so much more. I know some people hate the road trips, but we are not those people.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I have road tripped, literally all over the US.

Two trips to California and back from the East Coast, from NYC to Key West, and the PCH.

We absolutely love road trips.

We pack the cooler on the Florida road trips, stop where we sea a nice beach, stop at a fried seafood place, have an ice cold beer.

My husband and I really enjoy each other's company. We like hanging out.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:58 PM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4chickens View Post
we take long car trips regularly every year. We don't like to fly because you are not in control, you are at the mercy of the airlines. Delays, cancellations, lost baggage, having to arrive super early to go through tsa, all contribute to why we don't like to fly, and that doesn't even include the cost. Where we live in wyoming the cost to fly is outrageous. To go to a cheaper bigger airport such as salt lake city, is a four hour drive from our home. So we save a few bucks, but also have to drive just to get to the bigger airport, it's just not worth it.

by driving we can leave whenever we want, earlier than planned, later, at 3 a.m. On a whim if we so desire. We have snacks and drinks in an ice chest so we can stop as frequently or infrequently as we desire. Kids need to use the bathroom, no problem find a rest stop or pull p we at the next city at the gas station.

We've seen so many states this way and have memories galore that we would not have the same nostalgia for if we had just hopped on a plane. We did a road trip from california, through oregon, washington, montana, idaho, wyoming, and home through nevada a few years ago. We stopped when we felt like it, saw craters of the moon national monument on a whim. Drive through yellowstone twice, and passed the grand tetons, just because they were along our route. It was pretty magical and something we won't soon forget. Much more impressive than the inside of an airport.

We've driven to several national parks and monuments, through the red rocks of utah, by the beaches of california, through forests and so much more. I know some people hate the road trips, but we are not those people.

This highlighted in blue is exactly my answer.........in fact it is duplicate. We may fly to a destination but from there whether in Europe or the states we hit the road by car for long distances to explore.

We also have done the long loop flying into Denver renting a car and headed to Mt. Rushmore then west to Devils Tower, Custer, Yellowstone then the Tetons, Flaming Gorge, the pink Dinosaur in a town i can’t remember now, Dinosaur National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Gardens of the Gods, Pikes Peak, etc. we have done the entire PCH over several trips. We were fortunate to have always traveled. Approaching retirement I realize we would never be able to see the places we have visited if I had waited until retirement. There is just to much out there. Spending time on the road is not for everyone but for those that do enjoy it you will most likely visit many places that not many Americans get to see!

Old 04-13-2020, 01:58 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I have a couple hobbies that make road trips fun. I can stop when I want. I'm retired -- I don't have to stick to a schedule. I will take Amtrak on some long distance trips and enjoy the "community on wheels" aspect and meeting people on the train. I despise air travel but sometimes there is no other way.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:03 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
Scenery. Taking scenic byways and stopping at National Monuments or Parks along the way. Being able to take a cooler and other essentials. Having my nice car when I get there versus some crappy rental that cost an arm and leg. I am planning to drive from New Mexico to Montana in late summer and excited about it. Future trips will be to visit family in northern Nevada and Oregon. Of course I am retired. When working, I always wanted to take road trips but never had the time to do this sort of thing.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If you have to ask, you'll never "get it".
I agree, but will still attempt to explain.

We go nearly every year for a few weeks to our favorite vacation spot and it's 14 hours drive. One of the best parts of the vacation is the drive, and we return a different route to see even more. We fly too, when we just want to get to a destination in a hurry and get back. But for a place that's scenic and has mountains, lakes and historic sites along the way, driving is the way to go. I once drove 18,000 miles over the entire summer, and visited 44 states. I'll never forget the fun that we had or the places we saw and people we met. Besides, I just enjoy driving, especially when I'm passing a truck or slowpoke with my 385 horsepower Coyote V8.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:17 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
It depends on the situation.

A couple of years ago my daughter had to go from MA to UT Austin for her 3-year masters/doctorate program. In this case she had to drive because she needed her car down there. She asked Dad (me) to take a road trip with her. So on our 7-day journey from Boston to Austin we stopped at Cedar Point, Nashville, and Dallas before getting to Austin. It was a fun time spending with my daughter, and we got to see the road. We made several other stops to interesting stores etc. Can't get that on a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel