Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 01:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Why do I like to travel by vehicle:

1) Complete flexibility
2) Opportunity to make numerous stops to see family and friends along the way.
3) You can drive almost anywhere. Try finding flights to remote places that are reasonable.
4) If you fly, you have severe limits on what you can bring on to the plane. There are no limits in a vehicle. I can pick up things in the Midwest and transport it back to Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I used to live on an island.
Take a road trip, and you're home in time for dinner.
Want to visit a nearby island? Spend four hours dealing with airports, shuttles, etc. for a 45 minute flight.
Want to go to the mainland? 5 hours on a plane, plus all the airport problems.

I am so happy to be back on the mainland where long and short road trips are possible.
Oooh, there's a tulip festival just an hour east of our planned route. Let's detour!
Oh, the walleye in that little cafe in Whatwasthenameofthattown was great!
Let's take the kayaks!

Old 04-15-2020, 11:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I’ve driven coast to coast twice in the US, every mile of I-5 and nearly every mile of I-95.

I’m happy to take a plane to most places now, especially for anything I can’t drive in 5 hours. Under 5 hours it’s probably worth driving.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:12 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I used to live on an island.
Take a road trip, and you're home in time for dinner.
Want to visit a nearby island? Spend four hours dealing with airports, shuttles, etc. for a 45 minute flight.
Want to go to the mainland? 5 hours on a plane, plus all the airport problems.

I am so happy to be back on the mainland where long and short road trips are possible.
Oooh, there's a tulip festival just an hour east of our planned route. Let's detour!
Oh, the walleye in that little cafe in Whatwasthenameofthattown was great!
Let's take the kayaks!
When I worked in Des Moines, Washington (just south of SeaTac in the Seattle area), a few colleagues who lived on Vashon Island would kayak over from the island and back for work, when possible. Seemed like a great way to start and end the workday to me.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
So what's the appeal of long-distance road trips? Cost? Flexibility? Something else?

Thanks.
We traveled the small roads around America from Sep. '08 to Jul '10. We visited towns of all sizes, talked to shop clerks, other patrons, librarians, people in parks, security guards and docents in museums.

We walked through the parks. Rode the bike trails. We paddled the waters in our kayaks. We drove their 4x4 trails. We looked out on vistas, cityscapes, and watched sun rises and sets.

We saw lots of critters on land, in waters, and on air. I spent thirty minutes watching a McCaw watch me in the Columbia zoo, after laughing at the antics of the chimps conducting tribal threats to their enemies on the other island.

We spent less than we would have staying home and going to work. We carry away from it the knowledge of an area that many of its citizens didn't seem to have because "that's for tourists."

We cannot imagine travel any other way.

RAWH

Old 04-15-2020, 05:55 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
When I worked in Des Moines, Washington (just south of SeaTac in the Seattle area), a few colleagues who lived on Vashon Island would kayak over from the island and back for work, when possible. Seemed like a great way to start and end the workday to me.
Boy, that sounds nice. We lived in Hawaii. 2500 miles in a kayak? Um, no thanks.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:59 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
If time/money was no object:

I'd love to walk into an airport, hop on the next interesting flight to wherever! Do 2-3 of those and end up somewhere like Vegas/LA. Walk into a high line car dealership and buy a couple of exotic cars and then road trip them home across the country.

I'd also like to leave one coast about now in a big diesel RV and go across the country up into Alaska for the rest of the summer then catch the leaves changing in New England just before the cold white stuff starts falling. No agenda, just a full tank and a GPS.

I am short on time and unlimited funds right now...............but the planning is going on behind the scenes!

Old 04-15-2020, 11:41 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
I had a new MG and someone I loved a lot, so we left our jobs, threw the top down and left California to go see the South.

We partied in New Orleans, swam in the Gulf of Mexico with porpoises, camped and paddled canoes in the Everglades (had alligators following us) snorkeled in the Florida Keys, drove on Daytona Beach, toured antebellum mansions and plantations, saw fall foliage in the Great Smokie Mountains, met a lot of nice people. For most of that trip, we slept in a tent. We ate awesome Southern food.

My car was a piece of crap and we had to stop and fix it along the way, but that was just part of the adventure. It was a blast!

Old 04-16-2020, 12:00 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Love it, can stop and explore so many places, whereas other modes of transport you are just passing over those places. A road trip is not just point A to B, a road trip is all the things in between.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
One of my best and most unique road trips was 2500 miles transporting my dad's corpse to a cemetery.

We had a blast, went to all his favorite spots.

Rented a backhoe and dropped him in.

Flying was our first option, but the state would not let me fetch him from the airport, so... Road Trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel