Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 03:34 PM

300 posts, read 148,884 times

Advertisements

Omg, What great answers. Kudos to the OP, it really brought back some of the fondest memories of family vacations. Then as an adult I had a really great spouse. We did so much spur-of-the-moment stops and ended up at some of the most interesting places off the beaten path. We see a field of wildflowers, stop, reflect, and enjoy it all. Road trips are where memories are made. But then so are train trips and airplane trips and great meals. All depends on who you're with as to the level of enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 03:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Now I REALLY want to go on a roadtrip!!!

Old 04-13-2020, 03:54 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I travel constantly, for both work and to see family.

Usually I fly. I like flying fine. If you're upgraded or are in an aisle or window seat in premium economy, it's perfectly fine.

I also take Amtrak, both in the Northeast and for long-distance overnight trains. They're extremely comfortable and pleasant.

So flying and trains are both fine.

However, I can't imagine anything worse than a long-distance car trip. Driving isn't significantly faster than a train, and it's a lot less comfortable. And both are usually slower than flying.

So what's the appeal of long-distance road trips? Cost? Flexibility? Something else?

Thanks.
Until you've gone 100+ MPH on the West Virginia turnpike you will never understand.

SS

Old 04-13-2020, 04:20 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I live in the Kansas City area. Siblings and my widowed Dad are in SC. I see them twice a year and I vastly prefer driving. Firsts of all, I'm retired so I don't need to count vacation days. I stretch it over 2 days, maybe 9-10 hors the first day, 6-7 the next. Typically I try to get past Nashville the first day, have a good workout in a hotel gym and dinner in the room (maybe a Subway sandwich and sides I've picked up in a convenience store along the way), out after breakfast.

No TSA. No need to fix departure dates in either direction. I can pack whatever fits into the car and the trunk. No airport pricing on the food. When I get there I have a car. A 5- or 10- minute delay on the road means nothing. In an airport it may mean a missed connection.

I have decided that one overnight is enough. Back when Mom and Dad were in Myrtle Beach that was really 2 overnights and it wasn't as much fun heading out the third morning.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I live in the Kansas City area. Siblings and my widowed Dad are in SC. I see them twice a year and I vastly prefer driving. Firsts of all, I'm retired so I don't need to count vacation days. I stretch it over 2 days, maybe 9-10 hours the first day, 6-7 the next. Typically I try to get past Nashville the first day, have a good workout in a hotel gym and dinner in the room (maybe a Subway sandwich and sides I've picked up in a convenience store along the way), out after breakfast.

No TSA. No need to fix departure dates in either direction. I can pack whatever fits into the car and the trunk. No airport pricing on the food. When I get there I have a car. A 5- or 10- minute delay on the road means nothing. In an airport it may mean a missed connection.

I have decided that one overnight is enough. Back when Mom and Dad were in Myrtle Beach that was really 2 overnights and it wasn't as much fun heading out the third morning.

Great points and reasons I consider it.

No waiting for airport shuttles or taxis.

No need to fumble around to tip drivers each way to and from

No chance of lost luggage

No scheduling rental cars
Able to stop by your favorite local food spot in between your destination; Check Yelp for local reviews

Able to pack everything in your car; liquids galore- normal size shampoo, etc.

No excess baggage fees, broken items
No loud families
No people sneezing or drunk behind you on the plane; there's always someone.
Scenery; appreciation of low populated areas and the pureness of nature.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:12 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Take your kids on a road trip vacation and they will learn more than during a similar time in school. See the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in Cairo Illinois. Show them the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia and the constitution and Declaration of Independence in DC. Take them to Williamsburg or show them the deep ruts in solid rock made by the wagons on the Oregon Trail. Go to Monticello or Mount Vernon or Lincoln’s home in Springfield. Show them a tide pool or a mountain top.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:17 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
But if I win the lottery, I'm going to do a coast to coast road trip. As in from hear to northern Canada, all the way West to British Columbia, down to Southern California, all the way along south US to Florida, Key West, back up the East Coast. Sounds crazy, but that's just this inner, old side of me that still finds road trips appealing.
You do realize that you don't need a lottery win to fund a trip like that?

I'd bet a summer off and $10,000 could fund that whole trip.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
have a good workout in a hotel gym and dinner in the room (maybe a Subway sandwich and sides I've picked up in a convenience store along the way), out after breakfast.

You lost me with the "subway sandwich" idea...........

When I travel I never eat at any chain restaurant. If they have one at home then why would I eat at an Outback in New Mexico?.........Its the same food!

Look on yelp/trip advisor for the top 10 restaurants in the area you are staying. I do this for hotels also. I was in Atlanta and had lunch at the Porsche Driving Experience Cafe (while watching new Porsches on the racetrack) and then had dinner at this cool beer place about 15 minutes away. Definitely caught me off guard, neighborhood was rougher than I expected. I think I was the only person in the place with no tattoos!

Met the owner, he gave us a tour and the food was ridiculously good.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:32 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Much less likely to contract Coronavirus?

Old 04-13-2020, 06:36 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You lost me with the "subway sandwich" idea...........

When I travel I never eat at any chain restaurant. If they have one at home then why would I eat at an Outback in New Mexico?.........Its the same food!

Look on yelp/trip advisor for the top 10 restaurants in the area you are staying. I do this for hotels also. I was in Atlanta and had lunch at the Porsche Driving Experience Cafe (while watching new Porsches on the racetrack) and then had dinner at this cool beer place about 15 minutes away. Definitely caught me off guard, neighborhood was rougher than I expected. I think I was the only person in the place with no tattoos!

Met the owner, he gave us a tour and the food was ridiculously good.
I enjoy eating at chain restaurants that do not have locations where I live.

Mendocino Farms, Din Tai Fung, to name a few. Chain restaurants are successful for a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel