Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 08:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would hope we get to the level of Emirates and do a 10 min blood test at the gate. Test positive? you don't board (good idea!)

Some things are nice to know before you become a "Super-Spreader', tho asymptomatic.
That would be fantastic if we could get to that level of UAE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 07:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My neighbor has Emphysema and a mask restricts her breathing. I have COPD and even when I wear it on a windy day, to deter the silica coming into my lungs, it restricts my breathing and can steam up my glasses.

Given the short duration of flights, unless you're going across the Atlantic or Pacific, I'd mask up even tho' it wouldn't make me feel anymore safe/secure.

Now when it comes to beverage time...…………………………….
Line the top of your mask with tissue and that should take care of the fogging issue. The tissue absorbs the moisture from your breath, thus stopping it from fogging your glasses.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:43 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
I would hope we get to the level of Emirates and do a 10 min blood test at the gate. Test positive? you don't board (good idea!)
And then what? If you bought a non-refundable ticket, are you out thousands of dollars? Or will the airline rebook you two weeks later, or refund your ticket? If it becomes an issue of sick people being denied boarding (keeping in mind that the illness might have just popped up an hour before flight time, so there's no way you could have prepared for it) and forfeiting their money, we're going to see a long-term, perhaps permanent reduction in airline ridership.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And then what? If you bought a non-refundable ticket, are you out thousands of dollars? Or will the airline rebook you two weeks later, or refund your ticket? If it becomes an issue of sick people being denied boarding (keeping in mind that the illness might have just popped up an hour before flight time, so there's no way you could have prepared for it) and forfeiting their money, we're going to see a long-term, perhaps permanent reduction in airline ridership.

How often have you traveled with Emirates?

They are very customer friendly and will rebook you, usually far BETTER (timing / class of service) than your original ticket keeping the fare the same.

They are a great international carrier!

As are many others.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:09 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Would you fly with/without a mask on?

Some airline (at least one) has a “no mask – no fly” policy. How do you feel about it, would you take a flight without one? And should all passengers be required to wear a mask on the plane? Even if/when this Covid-19 is gone, what about all the other airborne colds, flu, bugs etc.?
I would not fly unless I could go without one. As much as I love to travel, unless I can find a very skilled surgeon who could give me the breathing system of an alligator to enable me to hold my breath for up to 24 hours, then I just physically can't be on an airplane again.

People can say what they will about masks, and defend them all they want. To me, they make me hyperventilate and even when required to have one on, I remove it often just to get air because I feel like I'm suffocating. As I can't be in an essential business without wearing one, and still need food, I have zero problem shoving people with a shopping cart and yelling, "move!" Mind you, I try to do this in under ten minutes because I'm not in there long before it affects me, so travel is out of the question. But hey, "we're all in this together." I take it that means I can do what I feel necessary to get out of there before I pass out, so you should just smile and accept my aggression in public. And yes, I've tried various materials, I can't have that obstruction without extreme breathing difficulty.

The silver lining to this is that I know from working experience (i.e. legal) to just give this time: COVID-19 litigation is already popping up, and I'm pretty confident that mandatory masks in public will be challenged soon-ish, possibly under the ADA or other provisions. Of course, people will say that if you can't wear a mask, don't fly...though don't want to acknowledge that their fear of germs could be countered as a reason for them to not fly and let other willing to be accountable for themselves to do so...

Old 05-09-2020, 02:35 PM

995 posts, read 509,770 times
If you look at the airline's mask policy, they make it very clear that you're not required to wear a mask if you have a medical issue preventing you from doing so. You're supposed to tell the gate agent / FA this should you be approached for not wearing a mask. Stores like Costco have this policy too.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:56 PM

61,692 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
If you look at the airline's mask policy, they make it very clear that you're not required to wear a mask if you have a medical issue preventing you from doing so. You're supposed to tell the gate agent / FA this should you be approached for not wearing a mask. Stores like Costco have this policy too.

^^^ True.
The top three U.S. airlines have told their flight attendants not to force passengers to comply with their new policy requiring face coverings, just encourage them to do so, according to employee policies reviewed by Reuters.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/airli...b65cc6ce8e915d

Foreign airlines implemented their own rules:
https://guardian.ng/business-service...arding-policy/
but things are changing and adapting to ongoing situation.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:41 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
If I got on a plane and some people weren't wearing them, I'd probably step off.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:49 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:

How often have you traveled with Emirates?

They are very customer friendly and will rebook you, usually far BETTER (timing / class of service) than your original ticket keeping the fare the same.

They are a great international carrier!

As are many others.
I've never flown with Emirates.

What about the domestic U.S. carriers? Some of them are not known for their customer-service orientation. What will happen to passengers who are denied boarding on these airlines? Will they be rebooked, or will they have to kiss their money goodbye? If the latter, we will not see a recovery in demand to anything even approaching what it had been. Plane tickets are expensive enough without having to gamble your money on you (and your traveling companions, if any) not running a fever when you check in.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never flown with Emirates.

What about the domestic U.S. carriers? Some of them are not known for their customer-service orientation. What will happen to passengers who are denied boarding on these airlines? Will they be rebooked, or will they have to kiss their money goodbye? If the latter, we will not see a recovery in demand to anything even approaching what it had been. Plane tickets are expensive enough without having to gamble your money on you (and your traveling companions, if any) not running a fever when you check in.
While the Middle East 3 are great when things are going well, they actually have something of a poor reputation during Irregular Operations while as grouchy as US airline employees have a reputation of being, (There are a lot of complaints about IRROPS and those carriers out there) The US hub and spoke model adds enough complexity to the system that they've had to become better handling problems on a regular basis out of self-defense.

With either group, you get flagged and would not be allowed to board within the next 24 hours without a doctor signing off that you're healthy enough to travel and right now that you have a negative COVID test. The ME 3 may or may not offer you a refund or rebooking depending on cabin class, frequent flyer status, etc. The US airlines will offer you some sort of refund or some sort of rebooking option, though it may be in the form of hard to use airline credit or a 'next available flight out' that may be 3-4 days away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel