Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 10:02 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
So, in other words, one would have to spend the entire two weeks in a hotel room? If that is the case, I would not be able to stand it. For me, time and money would not be a problem, but having to spend two weeks in a small room would be a problem.
If I got a sweet, suite, then I could be convinced. But for leisure (as in it's on my dime), too expensive I'm sure, and too much time.
IIRC, some states were doing this... stopping travelers at the borders, and telling them they need to quarantine for 2 weeks before they could enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
A few of us travelers were discussing the future of Intl Travel after the lockdown lifts. Someone I know is going to Thailand where they are wanting to impose a mandatory 2 week quarantine in a hotel before you are allowed to venture out into the populace.

How many of you would go for that at your expense ? I don't know many people with the time or money to do that but maybe I am underestimating people.

Would you succumb to these rules and still travel ?
Considering I would likely not have more than two weeks to travel that's a big **** no from me.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:01 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I have less than 2 weeks of vacation to visit a country and be back at work. So 2 week quarantine is out for me. I won't travel till it is fully lifted.
I do not have enough vacation time allotted for this to be feasible.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
If we look at past history, there already exists a list of countries that require vaccinations and exams to enter. As there is a procedure already in place, then some modified version of it will be issued and this 14 day quarantine will be gone.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents...-vaccines.html

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/de...south-america/

Old 05-07-2020, 11:44 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
A few of us travelers were discussing the future of Intl Travel after the lockdown lifts. Someone I know is going to Thailand where they are wanting to impose a mandatory 2 week quarantine in a hotel before you are allowed to venture out into the populace.

How many of you would go for that at your expense ? I don't know many people with the time or money to do that but maybe I am underestimating people.

Would you succumb to these rules and still travel ?

A few things argue against this happening

1. Lower cost destinations like Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and similar other Asian countries don't want to be overrun by low cost young wanderer travelers who will linger on and on while spending the minimal amounts. They would rather have the higher spending, short visit travelers who would be in the country for 4-7 days but stay in $200/night hotels and up and not in $10 dorm and beach shacks. And those type of travelers rarely have the time to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel before enjoying the country.

2. Expensive European nations like Norway might have reverse problem. Who has the money to stay in a high cost hotel for 14 days before spending even more money after that on travel and more expensive hotels. They will see a significant drop in tourism.

3. Countries like Italy that depend on tourism might see a significant impact, not only on jobs for locals and ancillary industries like restaurants but also the upkeep of the treasured artifacts. If you don't have the income rolling in, how can you store, display and maintain those grand old paintings and frescoes. And places like Siam Reap will go from overtourism to undertourism. The locals cannot keep coming back to visit them and pay those high fees needed for their upkeep.

I suspect that within a year all these quarantine measures will be slowly withdrawn except for some token measures.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:01 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If we look at past history, there already exists a list of countries that require vaccinations and exams to enter. As there is a procedure already in place, then some modified version of it will be issued and this 14 day quarantine will be gone.
I actually wonder if this won't result expanding the requirement of a Yellow Card for international travel documenting more than just Yellow Fever vaccination status. (Which would be very inconvenient for a lot of adults who don't have records of their pediatric vaccinations, but could potentially put an end to these repeated outbreaks of measles we keep seeing here in the US - those outbreaks are always due to an infected person bringing the virus back into the country from abroad.) Each country could decide which vaccines would be required for entry, and it would be up to the traveler to check before their trip and make sure they can provide the necessary documentation and get any immunizations they need.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I actually wonder if this won't result expanding the requirement of a Yellow Card for international travel documenting more than just Yellow Fever vaccination status. (Which would be very inconvenient for a lot of adults who don't have records of their pediatric vaccinations, but could potentially put an end to these repeated outbreaks of measles we keep seeing here in the US - those outbreaks are always due to an infected person bringing the virus back into the country from abroad.) Each country could decide which vaccines would be required for entry, and it would be up to the traveler to check before their trip and make sure they can provide the necessary documentation and get any immunizations they need.

We just might be. I don't know how many people know this, but in order to ship an animal via carrier one must get a vet's documentation that all vaccinations are up date and the animal has been tested and everything has come up negative in order to issue a release for travel. Those of us who are business travelers, get certain vaccinations due to where we go is considered as Third World countries. One of the vaccinations I take requires a booster every 5 years.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:52 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
We just might be. I don't know how many people know this, but in order to ship an animal via carrier one must get a vet's documentation that all vaccinations are up date and the animal has been tested and everything has come up negative in order to issue a release for travel. Those of us who are business travelers, get certain vaccinations due to where we go is considered as Third World countries. One of the vaccinations I take requires a booster every 5 years.
It would certainly make sense. Right now, the only vaccine that is required and which not having had it will actually keep you from being admitted to certain countries is Yellow Fever. All other immunizations are merely recommendations - and most people who aren't traveling to the less-developed places of the world (which is most leisure travelers) therefore don't pay much attention to their immunization status. Maybe it's time that changed. I guess we'll see. If getting stuck with a COVID-19 vaccine will be required for future travel, I'll happily bare my arm for the needle!

I'm not a business traveler, but like you I do go to some less-developed places, and do keep myself up to date on some vaccines most people don't get (like typhoid). Before COVID-19 wrecked travel, I was planning some future trips to places remote enough and undeveloped enough (Madagascar and rural Mongolia) that getting pre-exposure rabies vaccine might be a good idea. Now if we could only get vaccine for malaria and Dengue...

Old 05-07-2020, 02:53 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Would You Mandatory Quarantine For Two Weeks To Enter A Country?

Only if I lived there. Although, I guess it would also depend on where I was coming from - if I were traveling from Syria or Somalia, for instance, and Ireland or Switzerland required me to quarantine (in that country) for instance, yeah, it'd be a worthwhile trade, LOL.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:02 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
People that live like you describe do not partake in international travel. So why would they then need to quarantine?Your statement does not make sense. But as it stands now because other people have been traveling all over the world many of those people are not allowed to work and forced to stay at home because the virus has invaded their countries.

Not really. People would travel domestically. Instead of hotels being filled with people all over the world they will be filled by locals. Its a wash. I know some areas rely more on foreign tourism than others. What can I say. I would sacrifice one industry if it meant saving the worlds economy and thousands of lives.

Something like that could work. First we need to know if you are truly immune over time and for how long? I was reading something today and the antibodies seem to decrease in people over time. At what point could again become contagious? Can the virus mutate over several months to the point it can reinfect? We just do not know yet. And you have the other issue of making public ones health information. As it stands now with possible 2nd and 3rd waves in the future we could be a few years from even thinking about any normalcy in international travel. But this is the time to start figuring how what future it will have.
The post I was responding to wrote 'world wide' which I took to mean everyone in the world quarantines for two weeks. If only referring to international travelers then of course my response would be a non-sequitur.
(P.S. That two week quarantine would have to be imposed both going AND coming to be effective - a harsh restriction indeed.)

Regarding domestic travel filling the void that would occur with an international travel collapse I would not be optimistic.
At all.
Call me a Debbie Downer but I don't see the masses of India, Thailand or the Phillipines flocking to fill Ritz Carltons worldwide, especially with the pan recession that is likely to follow. How deep and how wide is anybodies guess.

And your final paragraph is spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel