Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 10:17 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This isn't a situation of "Oh, on a last minute whim, I've decided for no good reason to cancel my trip, thus cheating the airline out of a paid seat!"

In our case, we couldn't visit my mother, age 93, in her retirement home, because the home would not have even let us in the door. We had to cancel.

I don't know if I'll ever see my mom again. I guess we'll try to go again this fall, and hope for the best.

Fk the airlines. Heartless jerks. And no, I don't give a sht about propping them up to "save jobs". That's their problem; we all have jobs to save!
Bless your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 10:18 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
I'm going to take a closer look at refundable tickets for future trips. I agree, it's totally my own fault for getting non-refundable.

My original point was that this is an extraordinary situation and there should be some allowance for that. I would never have cancelled if not for this virus emergency.

Our tax dollars propping up the airlines, least they can do is meet us halfway. Southwest made it sound like a huge favor that they're extending the deadline until June 2021.

You'll likely go running once you see the refundable fare costs.

Every situation is an 'extraordinary situation'.. You really have to get past that mindset. The Zika virus was an 'extraordinary situation'.. A new French Revolution would be an 'extraordinary situation'. 9/11 was as well.

Extraordinary, rather ordinarily, happens every day..

Again, don't get me wrong here.. I do think the situation sucks.. I do feel for you, hope you are able to see your mother when things get better.. But.. I don't disagree with the airline's implementation of their policy in your case. Won't defend the policy itself, but.. That was the policy when you bought the ticket.

I do rather hope that Southwest extends their credits out a bit.. Right now, they haven't done anything outside their normal policy, which.. Probably needs to be stressed that credits/vouchers are good for 1 year from the ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE. Not the date you cancel.

So, if you bought a ticket for travel on July 1, 2020 on Jan 1, 2020. And you cancel on April 1, 2020.. Your credit is good ONLY until Jan 1, 2021.. And ALL TRAVEL MUST BE COMPLETED by that time.

So.. You could not use that credit on a round trip flight that leaves 12/31/20 and returns on 1/2/21.

Just tossing that in because many people don't realize the policy.. And.. If you feel screwed NOW.. And don't realize that policy.. You'd probably feel double screwed if you got bit by it.. You wouldn't ACTUALLY be.. But.. I can see how someone would feel that way.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:45 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
We bought non refundable & we didn't cancel, the airlines did. So we're still waiting to see what they offer. I would prefer a refund, but if we can only get credits, I guess we will have to take them, & do an unexpected trip.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:11 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We bought non refundable & we didn't cancel, the airlines did. So we're still waiting to see what they offer. I would prefer a refund, but if we can only get credits, I guess we will have to take them, & do an unexpected trip.
You're entitled to a refund. They may not offer it up front though (or they'll bury it at the bottom of the communication, like Icelandair did). You may have to request it. They're counting on you not requesting.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
6) I cannot imagine a BETTER (business / customer relationship) response than SWA has given for flight credits due to Covid. Sept 2022!!!!! expiry of travel credits. And (soon) you can convert to NEVER EXPIRE points
Ah, they've extended the expiration dates? That's good.

From the "coronavirus" section of their website:

Quote:
Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
They go on to say:

Quote:
We have also added a new benefit for our valued Rapid Rewards Members. Those Members who have travel funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 will have the option to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today. We hope this provides our Members ultimate flexibility as Rapid Rewards points never expire, never have cancel or change fees (fare difference may apply), and you can redeem your points for anyone you choose.
But that would not apply to people who booked outside of this time (March to Sept this year) or whose funds are expiring during this time.

Anyway, something's better than nothing.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:43 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're entitled to a refund. They may not offer it up front though (or they'll bury it at the bottom of the communication, like Icelandair did). You may have to request it. They're counting on you not requesting.
Thanks, I will start digging soon.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I admit to being a definite fan of Southwest, but this is one policy of theirs that I don't like. I can see not refunding the Early Bird thing, but they should allow you to use the funds for an Early Bird credit on another flight.

Southwest is actually pretty rigid on their Early Bird rules. Last summer, they cancelled my flight with a few hours' notice and I had to reschedule. OK, I get it, stuff happens. But my Early Bird money went "poof" and was gone. Instead, we were boarded at the end of the "C" group and my son and I had to split up and get stuck in separate middle seats. Not the end of the world, but I had specifically paid extra money to ensure that this would not happen, yet it happened anyway, through no fault of my own.

If they had switched our Early Bird money over to the rescheduled flight, I'd have been happy. If they had refunded me the Early Bird money and stuck us in the "C" group, I would have been less happy, but I would have accepted it as just one of those things. But the fact that they kept our Early Bird money, and still stuck us in the "C" group, annoyed me.
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

A poster PMed me to say that Southwest should have refunded my Early Bird fee and suggested that I check my credit card statement. So I did . . . and sure enough, there was the refund. My apologies to Southwest, and to anyone who read my post, for giving erroneous information.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Ah, they've extended the expiration dates? That's good.

From the "coronavirus" section of their website:

They go on to say:

But that would not apply to people who booked outside of this time (March to Sept this year) or whose funds are expiring during this time.

Anyway, something's better than nothing.
100% of my cancellations (over 30, many made pre CV-19) have been granted expiry to Sept 2022

Check your balance under their new 'Travel Credit' tracking feature

Mine sometimes take 2 weeks for SWA to change dates to 2022, but they ALL have done so. (without me asking)

Where else can you use your Companion Fare to take someone for $5.60 when you are using FREE Points?
100+ 'FREE' flights for my Companions / yr (Except 2020.. ) 2022 I should be able to lease my home while I fly on travel credits. I will go far out-of-my-way to keep SWA as my USA / HI, / MX carrier. (as they often do for me)

Followed by 2023 and 2024 when I will be cruising for virtually free. or $50/ day max (for 2)

Old 05-06-2020, 02:23 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
In the US, if the flight is canceled, they have to refund your money. Otherwise you have the option to rebook ahead of the cancellation. Who's problem is that if you bought a ticket and didn't read the terms or are unaware of the law? If you bought a ticket from another country's airline, good luck.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:01 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you bought a ticket from another country's airline, good luck.
if they operate flights in and out of the US, they’re still bound by the same laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel