Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:32 PM

7,111 posts, read 4,536,107 times

Advertisements

BMan, call them quoting DOT guidelines and insist on speaking to a supervisor. It took my son 90 minutes to turn our non refundable tickets into cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 08:16 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It should be noted that different countries are using different counting methods for instance in the UK, our definition of what counts as a coronavirus death is much broader than most countries. The Office for National Statistics includes any fatality where doctors mention covid-19 on the death certificate, whether or not the person was tested for the virus and this includes all settings including hospitals, care homes and in the community. Other countries are not using such exact methodology or statistics, and some countries only include hospital deaths.

Does the UK have the highest coronavirus death toll in Europe? - Fact Check C4

That is similar to what's going on the US, where deaths merely suspected as having to do with covid (and regardless of whether covid played any serious contributing factor) are being counted as covid deaths. I'm not sure how much this has changed the final number (and there are arguments on both sides I'd wager on counting such as covid deaths), but it certainly has inflated things somewhat.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We're currently living in Mexico, you wouldn't believe how many Mexican friends have asked/joked about the images of Americans buying truckloads of toilet paper.
Until you live south of Tucson and watch Mexican nationals with Sonora plates loading up their pick-up trucks with toilet paper and Pampers.

I sometimes wonder if any of the Mexican middle and upper classes ever buy anything in Mexico.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:36 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is not a good news to most of you who already booked and paid for vacation travel to Europe. It's probably not going to happen anytime soon. You might try to get refund for the tickets, but don't try to reschedule it, yet.

The key to any successful reopening in Europe is based entirely on risk assessment, meaning anyone coming from a nation deemed risky or careless will be the first to be banned. Simply put, anyone who has been under the lax American approach to the pandemic, which has been the laughing stock of Europe, won't be welcome any time soon.
https://flip.it/Ohewze
The US approach has been the same as the typical European approach, with similar results. You are mistaken.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
We have 3 R/T tickets on Virgin Atlantic from LAX to LHR (London) on June 2nd-June 17th. I live in Maui and the flight from Maui to LAX has been cancelled as well as our tour of the British Isles. I am sure American will eventually refund the Maui-LAX portion, but Virgin still hasn't cancelled our flight to London. If they don't cancel, we lose the fares. They aren't offering us the opportunity to rebook since we purchased the tix last September. Kinda sucks!

Meanwhile, American offered me a new return flight from LAX to Maui via DFW! Instead of 5 hours, the new flight would take 28.5 hours! Uh, no. Almost funny!

Probably stay here all summer. There are worse places to be.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:48 AM

355 posts, read 225,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremauian View Post
there are worse places to be.
Atlanta (ATL)?

Last edited by Mindraker; 05-14-2020 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: All caps for airport

Old 05-14-2020, 05:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times

there are worse places to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
Atlanta (ATL)?
AMEN brother!

Old 05-14-2020, 05:37 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I agree 100%.

Just to add these airlines you are booking with may also not be around when your flight is scheduled to depart.

What about Americans who waited this virus out overseas. Will they be blackballed too since they were smart enough to stay put ? I wish they could be given some sort of seal or proof of it.

I was considering staying in Jamaica in March. It seems like they have been minimally affected.
We can't even get back home to little old Ecuador...their lockdown is extended into mid June. Our flight will have to be pushed back yet again, if it even happens at all. Not that I wouldn't be happy to stay here in Portugal but at some point...

Old 05-14-2020, 05:38 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
BMan, call them quoting DOT guidelines and insist on speaking to a supervisor. It took my son 90 minutes to turn our non refundable tickets into cash.
We got a full refund with one call to our credit card company.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:29 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I sometimes wonder if any of the Mexican middle and upper classes ever buy anything in Mexico.
This is nonsensical. Surely aren't thinking all the millions of middle+ class in Mexico City, Guadalajara, Puebla, Querétaro, Mérida, Veracruz, etc. drive hundreds of miles to USA to buy toilet paper when it's sitting on the shelves of supermarkets in Mexico.

Hey kids, load up the car we're driving 500 miles to Laredo to buy toilet paper. Here in Mexico we've got supermarkets, Walmarts, Costcos, big modern shopping malls with Best Buy, Old Navy, Sears, Krispy Kreme, etc. but it's so much fun to wait in line at the border that we're making the trip.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel