Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

At 70YO, I had an inner voice all through my years forever telling me: Do it now! You could be dead tomorrow! And, I've seen most of the world I care to see, along with the 50 states, and with all these restrictions today I wouldn't have had the patience to deal with them!

In the Aviation forum, someone created a post on mandatory wearing of masks and gloves at a number of international Airports. To some people, this may seem very insignificant, but to others, it's like: No thanks! I'm staying put!

Taking your temp before your flight? And, if high, you can't board or sent to an emergency room or into quarantine?

I was able to deal with some of the restrictions, like no smoking on international flights, but no smoking in the terminals? That's a real toughie for me, even today.

And then there's the no-smoking hotels, where you have to stand 40 feet away from the lobby to smoke, and even with balconies, smoking is not permitted. So, if possible, I stay in those old 50's/60's motels.

I have no fear whatsoever of the Virus, but my fears have to do with being forced to take my temperature and I'm now too afraid to even fly from Tucson to L.A. I have no A/C in my car, and so I drive to the Tucson Airport on a really hot day in July, and, naturally, I'm going to show a high temp. Then what?

How many others feel, in some ways, they dodged a bullet by never delaying travel plans in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 12:06 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I was very lucky that last year I was able to make 3 international trips and 2 domestic ones due to having reduced fare tickets via someone who had just gotten an airline job (just over a year ago).

Old 05-13-2020, 12:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have no fear whatsoever of the Virus, but my fears have to do with being forced to take my temperature and I'm now too afraid to even fly from Tucson to L.A. I have no A/C in my car, and so I drive to the Tucson Airport on a really hot day in July, and, naturally, I'm going to show a high temp. Then what?
I don't think your body temperature will reach fever-levels in the dry heat of AZ and especially without prolonged exposure. Drink cool water to mitigate and give your body some time in the air-conditioned airport before the temperature check if you're that worried.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
We got to see Notre-Dame de Paris before it burned. Even saw a couple getting married while we were there. I hope that Martine and Manuel are still together and weathering the virus challenges well.

Airline travel before 9/11.

New Orleans before Katrina.

I will say I'm glad I didn't fly much when smoking on planes was still allowed. It was nasty to be even somewhat close to the smoking section, especially on a long flight.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:32 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We got to see Notre-Dame de Paris before it burned.
Those are the things that haunt me: sights that can't bee seen anymore because the place/structure/creature is gone. And because that list grows a bit longer every year, I'm happy for the travel sights I have managed to see over the years.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
I tried to see as much stuff in the NW as I could after I moved to Seattle in July. I'm a contract worker and I can get assigned to a project somewhere else with little warning, so I wanted to experience a lot before that could happen. By March as the pandemic was starting, I had been all over Washington and seen parts of Oregon and Idaho as well.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't think your body temperature will reach fever-levels in the dry heat of AZ and especially without prolonged exposure. Drink cool water to mitigate and give your body some time in the air-conditioned airport before the temperature check if you're that worried.
I went to the Dr.'s office last week, an Eye Clinic, and they weren't allowing anyone into the building until you had your temp taken, and they told us to wait in our cars, and they'd come out with a clipboard to take necessary info. I don't have A/C in my car here in hot Tucson, so they suggested I get out of the car and stand in a cooler area to cool off before taking my temp. And when they told me that if my temp was too high I'd be sent to the Emergency Room, I Intelligently, I poured some cold water down my back and front side and I passed.

That's my big worry about doing any kind of air travel today, having someone spring that one me before my flight or return flight, and off to the Emergency Room I'd go? And imagine that happening if I were in a foreign country? Quarantine?

No thanks! I have zero fear of the virus but I have other fears when traveling today.

And I do believe these restrictions are going to be around for a long, long time, even with the vaccine.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I went to the Dr.'s office last week, an Eye Clinic, and they weren't allowing anyone into the building until you had your temp taken, and they told us to wait in our cars, and they'd come out with a clipboard to take necessary info. I don't have A/C in my car here in hot Tucson, so they suggested I get out of the car and stand in a cooler area to cool off before taking my temp. And when they told me that if my temp was too high I'd be sent to the Emergency Room, I Intelligently, I poured some cold water down my back and front side and I passed.
Your eye doctor can not force you to go to the emergency room over an elevated temperature.

Most hospitals wouldn't even see you for such a thing. They'd just tell you to go home, especially if your not experiencing any symptoms.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:48 AM

^^^

It just didn't seem right to me, their saying they'd send me to the Emergency Room! Thanks for posting that!

Old 05-14-2020, 06:42 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
I wish we'd been able to visit Notre Dame when the hunchback still worked there. Alas, regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel