Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 01:51 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,637,449 times

Advertisements

2001 first trip to the UK.
Landed at Heathrow, drove to Harrowgate, St. Combes in Scotland, Inverness, Gretna Green, back into England past Liverpool and Manchester.
Then into Wales, drove through the Snowdonia mountains to Harlech Castle on the coast. Down to South Wales and back into England.
Took the M4 East to go to Stonehenge, then to Portsmouth.
Boarded a P&O ferry with car to Cherbourg, drove through Normandy to Caen, the American cemetery, Ohaha Beach.
Then into Paris for a weekend. Back toward Cherbourg with a stop in Bayeux to see the tapestry.
On board P&O again back to Portsmouth and on to Gloucestershire to pick up a canal boat for a self-driving canal cruise.
Then back down to Heathrow to drop off the car before heading into London for a few days.
In three weeks. Fun trip.
Have no idea what the mileage was. A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I have a friend that lives in Hawaii and flies into California and rents a vehicle. She's gone as far as Mt. Rushmore as I recall in this rental. She does this pretty regularly and each trip drives thousands of miles.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Vegas is also a great hub for a Utah Park tour (don't miss Valley of Fire!) 50 mi north of LV. Really nice campgrounds! Sunrise and sunset bring interesting lighting and shadows and colors for pics. Plenty of BLM land nearby for 'stealth-camping'
A lot of people do that since the Las Vegas airport (lot of airline competition) is often the cheapest option for that kind of a trip. I can remember the rental car company offering us a Mustang convertible first for our 'premium' category option and when we said what we planned to do with the rental and how the Mustang wouldn't work, was quick to find us another option for the loop instead and we ended up with a nice Taurus with good range and cold AC as second option.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:18 PM

208 posts, read 113,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A lot of people do that since the Las Vegas airport (lot of airline competition) is often the cheapest option for that kind of a trip.
That’s why we did our California trip from Las Vegas. Air fare to LV was cheap.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A lot of people do that since the Las Vegas airport (lot of airline competition) is often the cheapest option for that kind of a trip. I can remember the rental car company offering us a Mustang convertible first for our 'premium' category option and when we said what we planned to do with the rental and how the Mustang wouldn't work, was quick to find us another option for the loop instead and we ended up with a nice Taurus with good range and cold AC as second option.
I always book a compact and ask for a minivan. (They are always out of compacts)

Been getting 28 mpg (highway) on VVT Minivans the last few yrs.
"Stow and Go" seats fold into floor making a great camper!
We 'car-camped' last yr LV > UT Parks loop.
Campgrounds were full until it SNOWED at North Rim in late May. We had our choice of many great camping spots after the snow.

LV is also a great way to see the Grand Canyon (by private air tour)

Save many hours driving to only see a couple crowded viewpoints.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:28 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
I rented a car at the airport in Paris, left the city immediately and drove all over France for a month. It was a little Renault stickshift, and that thing could haul. In the Alps, I stopped to look at the motor because it performed so well. It was like a tiny toy. I dropped the car off in Paris & we spent 3 days there.

The following year I rented a car at London Heathrow & traveled in the English countryside and Scotland for a month. This time it was a Fiat, and in addition to driving on the left of the road, with about a million roundabouts, the steering was on the right and I had to shift with my left hand. So glad that my daughter navigated. I remember driving behind a herd of sheep on a one-lane dirt road in the Scottish Highlands, listening to a Gaelic radio station. I returned the car in London so that we could spend a few days in the city. The car rental employees actually applauded me for driving so much and not putting a ding on the car!

Old 05-27-2020, 12:58 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Relatively minor stuff. Nothing cross country or on another continent. By the way, I appreciate this question because I didn't even remember most of these even though they are all very recent, and I had to look at my travel log to find these which brought back many memories. Thanks!

-Vancouver to Calgary in 2015
-Portland, ME up to Acadia National Park and other towns, then back to Portland in 2015
-NYC to Princeton, NJ to Westport, CT back to NYC in 2016
-Quebec City to Ottawa then back to Montreal in 2016
-Toronto to Niagara Falls, ON, to Buffalo in 2017
-Indianapolis to Chicago in 2018
-Nashville to Chattanooga to Atlanta in 2018
-Austin to Houston in 2018
-Detroit to St Joseph, MI to Chicago in 2019

2020 might include Vancouver-Seattle (already have the reservations) but it remains to be seen whether we actually take that trip.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:04 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
San Francisco then half way up British Columbia then over to Jasper, barely avoid a tornado near Edmonton, down thru Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, southern California, back to SF. Lots of local wiggles to get into the backcountry. I think was 9,000 miles total. About 35 years ago.

Some others probably in the 2-4k range either related to moving or running around, usually in the southwest.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-29-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-30-2020, 10:40 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Vegas to Santa Monica

Old 05-30-2020, 10:42 AM

1,408 posts, read 748,130 times
Rented a car in Paris and drove it for 3 weeks through Germany, Austria, and Italy before turning it in in Montpellier. Put about 1500 miles on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel