Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 11:12 AM

89 posts, read 48,445 times

Advertisements

I booked a short term rental private room at and airbnb space and have a question about dealing with noise issues / communication with another guest staying in another room and the host.

I checked in to a space at 11:30pm last night which is 30 mins after the start of the quiet hours period as per the house rules, but there were still 30 mins to go before the end of the check in period (limit is 12:00am). The last time I stayed here it was good except I heard the neighbors running up and down the stairs or thumping next door (it's a building with shared walls) and mentioned it in the review. Host responded publicly apologizing and wrote me privately that she would've appreciated a heads up. OK. She also mentioned she spoke to the neighbors and they apologized for the disruption.

Fast forward 2 months and I decide to book again. What enticed me was she was discounting this week even though she's already had 15+ past guests. Upon check in (host lives in the basement), she advised me to communicate with her directly if I have any concerns.

This morning I was woken up by a sharp knocking sound. I had a fan running for white noise so that muffled it somewhat but it was pretty loud sharp knock. I got up and heard the host addressing some complaints about the other guest's behavior. Apparently he has this tendency for talk late and early morning on the phone and there was something about him dragging a chair along the kitchen floor which the host may have heard? I didn't get all the details but her blasting him from the hallway (he was in his room), could be heard from my room. Apparently he also had a complaint about me that I checked in after 11pm (no choice I was on the road before then) , that I had a lot of luggage (I left my bedroom door partially ajar during check in) and that I made too much noise late. Umm I was trying to be respectful, lowered my voice and was within 30 mins of the check in period cut off, so he needs to be more understanding. However one thing that did happen was my luggage tipped over and slapped the floor which he may have heard. The host basically told the other guest to suck it up (not in those words) it's airbnb, this is not a long term rental, so the other guest needs to understand to be tolerant of others arriving late.

Should I speak to the other guest and apologize, mention the incident I overheard to the host or do nothing? I'd like to take a shower tonight around 11pm-12am but am unsure if I should ask "permission" as not to get the other guest and/or host riled up for noise after 11pm and risk me getting blasted by the host or get a bad review. She hasn't approached me yet with her concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 06:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Do nothing, and don't book there again.

Also = post about staying 450 nights per year $20/night, picking turnips and repairing fences with owner, eating centuries old bohemian peasant recipes, talking over warm fire like best friends, every airbnb is a poorly constructed drug den you are risking your life in 3... 2... 1...

Old 02-03-2020, 06:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Take your shower. It’s daily living noise, not nuisance noise. If the host makes an issue about it, address it with them I’m person and in your negative review. Do not book this unit again.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
You should probably find a new place since you have issues every time. No need to confront the neighbor even if it is to apologize. Go on about your life and find a different place next time.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Why are you sharing spaces with other guests?

Stay in a hotel or in a private apartment where bathing at 11:30 at night isn't an issue.

Seriously, if you are over 25 years old, stop sharing space.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
Usually, finding out what to have in secrets or matters of privacy takes just enough to a lot of effort. Remembering what you want yourself in every situation is worthwhile. Tons of these anecdotal stories reminds me of how complicated things can get when there is noise, and even quite unnatural vulnerability. I just always try to stay quiet, go outside when I want to move around or cause commotion in sound. At my own residential grounds, and Hotel room.

Recently observing that I often book into some of the most massive of buildings. Even in countries that don't have skylines that are equally as nice. And to absolute highest of floors with tons of available space. Then you feel less claustrophobic.

If I stayed at a Hostel, I bet troubles may arise.

Last edited by ; 05-31-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel