Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 07:20 PM

654 posts, read 364,086 times

Advertisements

Since Covid-19 started, I have stopped flying and instead I’ve started taking trains, in sleeping cars.

You have a private room with walls, a door and a bed.
You leave late in the day and arrive in the morning.
You can work on the train and make phone calls.
You can take a shower on the train.
You don’t have to spend the day traveling; instead, you spend the day at home or at your destination.

Question: why aren’t there more overnight trains? They are a lot more efficient than flying or driving. The few overnight trains that Amtrak has are usually sold out in advance, so the ones we have do well. But why isn’t there a significant shift towards the concept of overnight trains?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Not a popular thing in USA, like it is elsewhere (traveling through the night)

Lots of people cannot sleep while in motion.
Others want to see the view. (daylight)
Freight shares the same tracks and runs at night. (Would be disruptive to Amtrak schedule, as they are 2nd priority (actually 3rd) to freight.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:33 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Sadly long distance passenger train service has fallen by the wayside over the years. If the USA were to develop a national high speed rail system, I assume more people would travel by train long distance.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:17 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Question: why aren’t there more overnight trains? They are a lot more efficient than flying or driving.
You make a lot of great points about the benefits but saying they are a lot more efficient than flying you went off the rails.

I can fly from any point in USA lower 48 to any other point in six hours or less direct. Even indirect it just becomes a really long day. If you measure efficiency in time spent getting from point A to point B trains just can't touch that, not even close. There are high speed routes in Europe and Asia where trains can match efficiency of airlines up to a certain distance, but eventually given far enough the extra time involved in logistics of the flight are overwhelmed by the speed of arrival.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:31 AM

654 posts, read 364,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You make a lot of great points about the benefits but saying they are a lot more efficient than flying you went off the rails.

I can fly from any point in USA lower 48 to any other point in six hours or less direct. Even indirect it just becomes a really long day. If you measure efficiency in time spent getting from point A to point B trains just can't touch that, not even close. There are high speed routes in Europe and Asia where trains can match efficiency of airlines up to a certain distance, but eventually given far enough the extra time involved in logistics of the flight are overwhelmed by the speed of arrival.
Good points but it kind of depends on the distance.

In my case, my trips are 600-700 miles. I have to take 2 flights, with a connection. The total time, door to door, is about 5 to 6 hours. Very little of that time is productive time, even if I spend time in the airport lounge's work center and am flying first class. I can get at most about 2 hours of work done during that. So flying takes 6 hours out of my day and 4 of those hours are not productive.

On the train, I am fully productive. Maybe half an hour of the trip time is not productive. But on an overnight train, the total number of daytime hours used can be less than flying anyway. So less of my day is spent traveling and even less of the day is not productive, by taking the train.

If I were doing NY to California, sure, trains just can't compete on that. But, say, Washington to Atlanta, leaving at 6:30pm and arriving at 8ish am? Trains certainly can.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:39 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
A revival of sleeper services as well as new routes has been evident in Europe in recent times, due to factors such as enviromental concerns as well as better conecvtivity. Whilst new environmentally LNG powered ferries may also see a similar ferry revival.

Could sleeper trains replace international air travel? - The Conversation

How climate change fears are reviving Europe's sleeper trains - The Telegraph

About Honfleur | Brittany Ferries

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-23-2020 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:

In my case, my trips are 600-700 miles. I have to take 2 flights, with a connection. The total time, door to door, is about 5 to 6 hours. Very little of that time is productive time, even if I spend time in the airport lounge's work center and am flying first class. I can get at most about 2 hours of work done during that. So flying takes 6 hours out of my day and 4 of those hours are not productive.

On the train, I am fully productive. Maybe half an hour of the trip time is not productive. But on an overnight train, the total number of daytime hours used can be less than flying anyway. So less of my day is spent traveling and even less of the day is not productive, by taking the train.

If I were doing NY to California, sure, trains just can't compete on that. But, say, Washington to Atlanta, leaving at 6:30pm and arriving at 8ish am? Trains certainly can.
Does one HAVE to be "productive" 100% of the time? Relax a little maybe.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:45 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:

Does one HAVE to be "productive" 100% of the time? Relax a little maybe.

And on an overnight train, one sleeps, right?

I've done overnight trains. In the US in coach, Philly to SC. A truly miserable experience that saved me some money.

In Russia and the UK in dormitory sleeper cots, it was kinda fun - reminiscent of that scene in "Some Like it Hot." Those trips also gave me more precious daylight hours for touring. It was well worth it, but I was MUCH younger.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:54 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Overnight passenger trains with sleeping compartments are common in India. The AC ones are relatively comfortable.

I am not aware if the U.S. that has them.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 AM

130,218 posts, read 12,093,129 times
They can also be expensive, anytime I have priced train to plane, the plane is cheaper. Of course this was a while back, so things may have changed. Much will depend on locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel