Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 02:44 PM
46H

1,654 posts, read 1,404,041 times

Advertisements

Last July, we had a 6 hour layover in Zurich for a flight from NY to Rome. We got to the gate for the Rome flight and sat down near a window where I was able to watch the luggage guy throw the "carry-on/now checked bags" down a slide from the jetway. Most of the bags fell off the slide onto the tarmac about 2 feet below were the guy was standing due to the curve of the slide and how he launched the bags down the slide. The guy was unmoved by these bags falling from maybe 10 ft to the cement.

Eventually, we go to check in. I notice very few people were being asked to put their carry-on bag in the sizer and most of the passengers have bags larger than mine. The flight seemed light based on available seats on the moniters. We get to the front and encounter an over officious Swiss Air agent who decided my small, legal carry-on was too big for A320 overhead (it was not). It fit in the sizer, but my wheels stuck out a little. He then told me my bag was too big and to give the bag to the luggage guy at the end of the jetway. This was the same fool I watched basically toss bags from the jetway to the tarmac.

I did not argue and walked down the jetway. As soon as I was clear of the agent, I took the tag off. We got onto a 1/2 empty A320 and my bag easily fit in the overhead, just as it always did and still does.

We still have no idea why I was chosen for that special treatment. My wife's bag was identical, but a different color. Once I was on the plane, I was surrounded by passengers with bigger carry-on bags than my bag. The plane was 1/2 empty, so overhead space was not an issue. This had never happened before or since with this bag.

So I agreed to check my carry-on, but I carried on anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 04:27 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It seems like a request for passengers to check-in hand luggage due to Covid19 is on the way ?

I don't know but going by this article from the UK it seems like some places may be headed in this direction.

The question is WHY ? How does checking my hand luggage 1. Keep me safer and 2. protect me against employee theft ?

Answer : It doesn't. So why would they even raise the issue .....FFFFFeeeees perhaps ?

I don't know. What do you think ?

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-p...105236012.html
If it's required, I don't have to agree, apparently.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,441,581 times
Wow, sometimes I fly with ONLY carry-on, especially if just a long weekend. I definitely don't enjoy checking a bag, and would be cross if not only I was forced to, but it meant that I was FORBIDDEN from having a personal item.

100% would either forego the trip, or drive if it could be driven in, say, 8 hours or less.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
I normally ONLY travel with a small duffel carry-on.

When using Frontier or Spirit I have to 'downsize' to an 'under-seat' size. That is quite small for more than a few days away.

Checking carry-ons will add time to trip / commute, but so did TSA.

My frequent commutes are 1200 - 2500 miles, so driving is very time consuming and expensive.

I will wait 5 min for my checked bag (it that becomes the rule).

I would also wait at the gate before departure for my Covid test if that becomes the rule (Which I feel it should be. Emirates does it in 10 min). Would really help get the airlines / commerce back to a more normal activity. And identify and isolate those 'super-spreaders'.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:19 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Last July, we had a 6 hour layover in Zurich for a flight from NY to Rome. We got to the gate for the Rome flight and sat down near a window where I was able to watch the luggage guy throw the "carry-on/now checked bags" down a slide from the jetway. Most of the bags fell off the slide onto the tarmac about 2 feet below were the guy was standing due to the curve of the slide and how he launched the bags down the slide. The guy was unmoved by these bags falling from maybe 10 ft to the cement.

Eventually, we go to check in. I notice very few people were being asked to put their carry-on bag in the sizer and most of the passengers have bags larger than mine. The flight seemed light based on available seats on the moniters. We get to the front and encounter an over officious Swiss Air agent who decided my small, legal carry-on was too big for A320 overhead (it was not). It fit in the sizer, but my wheels stuck out a little. He then told me my bag was too big and to give the bag to the luggage guy at the end of the jetway. This was the same fool I watched basically toss bags from the jetway to the tarmac.

I did not argue and walked down the jetway. As soon as I was clear of the agent, I took the tag off. We got onto a 1/2 empty A320 and my bag easily fit in the overhead, just as it always did and still does.

We still have no idea why I was chosen for that special treatment. My wife's bag was identical, but a different color. Once I was on the plane, I was surrounded by passengers with bigger carry-on bags than my bag. The plane was 1/2 empty, so overhead space was not an issue. This had never happened before or since with this bag.

So I agreed to check my carry-on, but I carried on anyway.
You were lucky that there was room in the overhead compartment. If the flight had been full and there was no room in the overhead compartment (due to other carry on luggage being stored there), then it could have been a problem.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
Based on the OP, which sounds like a choice between checking carryon or not flying, I would check the luggage rather than cancel my trip

I typically travel with nothing but a carryon, so I would need to adjust my packing plans, but it certainly could be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel