Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 08:20 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

I totally understand that 1) only I can make this decision based on my comfort level and 2) this is a first world type of issue, but I'll always come to this forum to solicit others' opinions out of curiosity so here goes :

It's inching near that time for my annual Miami trip as I go there every Thanksgiving and my mom always joins me there. I'm in GA and she's in SC so I typically fly down and she usually takes a bus, although she recently became amenable to flying so the last trip down she flew to GA and we then flew to MIA together.

Anyhow, with the current virus stuff going on I assumed a few months ago that this trip would be out. Especially with the recent news of how certain states were faring in terms of COVID cases increasing. To be completely honest I haven't been looking at 'rona news for a couple of weeks as I just need a break from it.

I've been keeping my eye out on accommodations in Miami which are of course very reasonably priced for November. My original plan (pre-COVID) was, this time, to stay there the entire month and let my mom decide to join me (so perhaps for the whole time or just for a week or so). She's since been laid off due to COVID and is expressing interest in going (for the same dates as me since she's now not restricted by work) but is definitely on the fence and not sure what to do.

If we go this year we have no plans to do much of anything of course; just relax on the beach and eat from our usual faves, but likely with much more restaurant deliveries and maybe a bit more picnic style outings where we can just be out but not enclosed or close to others. There's the issue of risk factors as we both have hypertension (mine controlled; hers not); I'm 41 and she's 61. The usual bus mode of transpo for her is totally out of the question in my opinion; I am open to picking her up and driving down but that means she'd have to stay the exact same dates as me if we go that route.

I guess I'm just nearing the point where I know I'll need to book soon 'if' we go; I am as antsy as everyone else who has been in/limiting their activities as much as I have; I could 'so' use this time away but have many reservations. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 10:19 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I'm sure I'll be criticized for this (don't care) but unless things get worse in the next 3 months I'm still planning on going to Disney World the second week in December (in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, middle of the week, when crowds should be lower). I've been very closely monitoring conditions at the theme parks in Orlando, and everyone is reporting the they're doing a fantastic job, and that everyone has felt very safe. There have been no COVID cases that have been contact traced back to any of the theme parks. And I am confident enough in my own practices.

I may change my mind as the trip gets closer, but everything is either refundable or can be cancelled without penalty.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Think of it as a series of risks:

- age and health. Older and/or with health risk factors?
- indoor or outdoor activities? ANY indoor activity, whether eating at a restaurant or shopping at a store, raises your risk. The smaller the space, the greater the risk. The longer you stay, the greater the risk. That's why restaurants are worse than grocery stores.
- crowds and no distancing - much higher risk.

I'm not surprised Disney World is lower risk. Outdoors. Room to space/distance (as long as people do it!)

Every person needs to decide their own risk profile, based on personal factors and activities.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:09 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
With a car you can take day trips down in the keys, or over to the Everglades, perhaps take an air boat ride.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:26 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I totally understand that 1) only I can make this decision based on my comfort level and 2) this is a first world type of issue, but I'll always come to this forum to solicit others' opinions out of curiosity so here goes :

It's inching near that time for my annual Miami trip as I go there every Thanksgiving and my mom always joins me there. I'm in GA and she's in SC so I typically fly down and she usually takes a bus, although she recently became amenable to flying so the last trip down she flew to GA and we then flew to MIA together.

Anyhow, with the current virus stuff going on I assumed a few months ago that this trip would be out. Especially with the recent news of how certain states were faring in terms of COVID cases increasing. To be completely honest I haven't been looking at 'rona news for a couple of weeks as I just need a break from it.

I've been keeping my eye out on accommodations in Miami which are of course very reasonably priced for November. My original plan (pre-COVID) was, this time, to stay there the entire month and let my mom decide to join me (so perhaps for the whole time or just for a week or so). She's since been laid off due to COVID and is expressing interest in going (for the same dates as me since she's now not restricted by work) but is definitely on the fence and not sure what to do.

If we go this year we have no plans to do much of anything of course; just relax on the beach and eat from our usual faves, but likely with much more restaurant deliveries and maybe a bit more picnic style outings where we can just be out but not enclosed or close to others. There's the issue of risk factors as we both have hypertension (mine controlled; hers not); I'm 41 and she's 61. The usual bus mode of transpo for her is totally out of the question in my opinion; I am open to picking her up and driving down but that means she'd have to stay the exact same dates as me if we go that route.

I guess I'm just nearing the point where I know I'll need to book soon 'if' we go; I am as antsy as everyone else who has been in/limiting their activities as much as I have; I could 'so' use this time away but have many reservations. Thoughts?
Well, as you said, only you can decide what level of risk is acceptable to you. Each of us determines what risks we're willing to accept, and we can't speak for anyone else.

But if you want to know what level of risk I'm willing to accept for myself, I'll tell you: at the end of October I'm flying to Phoenix (from Orlando) to visit my daughter for a week or so. I'll be staying at her house apart from a couple of days that we plan to spend in Flagstaff looking at some mountains.

I've read enough to have a pretty good idea of what I'm risking, given my age (73), health (excellent), underlying medical conditions (none). I've thought about it a lot, and as of right now, I'm still going.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
I say go for it. You'll be on the beach and distancing when you dine (or even better, takeout). Just be smart about it.

It's not like you're going to an amusement park with massive crowds moving around.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:58 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I say go for it. You'll be on the beach and distancing when you dine (or even better, takeout). Just be smart about it.

It's not like you're going to an amusement park with massive crowds moving around.
The amusement parks don't currently have massive crowds. It's actually a really good time to go. The crowd level is ridiculously low. My sister and her kids went a couple weeks ago. They said there was barely anyone there.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:17 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Let's suppose it was my mom, I think the risk is low if I drove and went to pick her up so that's what I'd do. I'd also look to spend some time in less populous beach towns in FL...I know Miami Beach is the destination and I'd spend some time there too, but it's a good chance to get out to other parts as well. And there's the possibility (though low imo) that Miami Beaches would have to close down again.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:28 AM

351 posts, read 320,989 times
I don't see us flying until there is a vaccine, especially at the holidays. I would drive, rent a nice VRBO house, do a lot of outdoor stuff. And yes, no buses for Mom either---Atl to SC isn't that far, pick her up the weekend before maybe?

fyi, pre-virus we flew monthly (retirees).

Old 09-01-2020, 08:21 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
I wouldn't book that type of travel this fall. COVID cases are likely spiking with the cooler weather and we've seen what an awful job the FL governor has done in controlling the spread.

Stay at home or do some AirBnB where you don't have to come into contact with anyone else. FL will be there waiting when its safer to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel