Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM

424 posts, read 1,479,280 times

Advertisements

..with a valid US driver license but no international driving license (IDL). Is this allowed?

I called the Swiss Embassy and they said that it is ok to drive in Switzerland with a valid US license but rental car companies may or may not rent a car without an IDL (it is their discretion).

Anyone who rented a car in Zurich with a US license and without an IDL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I've done it. Not a big deal. I've actually done it all over the EU.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 AM

ok cool, so I don't need to pay over a 100 bucks to AAA to get myself an IDL right? I sent them an email and not surprisingly, they are pushing me to get the IDL for $125.

just to make my question very clear, you have RENTED a card with a US license right? Coz, if you either owned a car or borrowed a friend's car, that is a bit different. I just want to ensure that I can rent a car from some company with a US license.

Thanks again, and much appreciated!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
100 bucks? I just got my IDL from AAA last week and it was a whopping 15 bucks.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM

165 posts, read 812,189 times
I rented in Zurich from Travelocity. The car rental place was Sixt - it was only $350 for the week. Imagine my surprise when I got there and they offered me the Euro100k Alfa Romeo GT - 6 speed with Bose and leather and everything. Drove to Italy and was even getting nods from the border agents! Everyone was loving that car (me the most!) It was the best driving week of my life. :-)

And no, I don't have an IDL

Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 AM

444 posts, read 1,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
ok cool, so I don't need to pay over a 100 bucks to AAA to get myself an IDL right? I sent them an email and not surprisingly, they are pushing me to get the IDL for $125.

just to make my question very clear, you have RENTED a card with a US license right? Coz, if you either owned a car or borrowed a friend's car, that is a bit different. I just want to ensure that I can rent a car from some company with a US license.

Thanks again, and much appreciated!
Be sure to BUY the insurance as your policy in the states covers only USA,
its territories or its assigns therefore no coverage in Europe. Also, applies to your health insurance so you might want to purchase a trip policy.

Dunroven

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 AM

165 posts, read 812,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
Be sure to BUY the insurance as your policy in the states covers only USA,
its territories or its assigns therefore no coverage in Europe. Also, applies to your health insurance so you might want to purchase a trip policy.

Dunroven
If you use Amex, you will likely be covered even with a foreign car rental. Check with your Amex card to make sure, but I have always been covered when renting cars internationally.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaEvie View Post
If you use Amex, you will likely be covered even with a foreign car rental. Check with your Amex card to make sure, but I have always been covered when renting cars internationally.
It sounds like you have the experience with Amex something I didn't know.
Just wanted you to be sure to buy the coverage if it wasn't provided elsewhere.

What do you do about your health coverage or accident coverage while you are traveling internationally? Just curious..

Dunroven

Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 AM

cool thanks guys. you bring up some interesting points that i honestly never thought about..

Old 05-05-2008, 09:06 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
One thought, you may want to reconsider EuropCar. It is consistently rated worst with many, many horror stories about overcharges and deception. You can research stories on the net about this. Better to contact AutoEurope and tell them to hook you up with Avis or Hertz...anything besides EuropCar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel