U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 07:04 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,335,662 times

Advertisements

DH and I used to travel the "blue highways" every year and covered all 48 lower states, multiple times. One town that stands out in my memory is Summerville, SC. We were there in the spring, everything in bloom, just beautiful.

As far as theme trips, you couldn't go wrong taking a trip through the south in the spring, hitting all the little BBQ joints. Unless you are vegetarian, lol.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:47 AM

4,008 posts, read 7,207,155 times
I was just in Twin Falls Idaho and it was 100000x better than I expected. Great place!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 05:35 PM

3,540 posts, read 1,588,599 times
Being a tourist town is always bad. They generally have lots to see and do; have great restaurants and good hotels; and are interesting.

A tacky tourist town is something else. I've been to many of the towns on that list and lots of them are tacky. Spent some time in the Smokey Mountains and then drove into Gatlinburg. Couldn't not drive out of there fast enough.

On the other hand, I drove the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado three times; could not get enough of it and the towns.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:54 PM

353 posts, read 196,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Hello all.

My wife and I enjoy travel and have traveled quite a bit. We've started to prefer the more off-the-beaten-trail places over the big hits. In Europe, for example, we'd prefer Delft, Krakow, and Budapest over Paris, London and Rome. We're also trying to get a more authentic feel of the places we visit. For example, I'll often spend a good deal of time in local markets looking at all of the produce and products of the area. We also like to see live music at smaller venues and find pubs and cafes inhabited by locals.

One thing we've done is sort of ignored the travel in the US where we live (San Francisco). I'm originally from Wisconsin and we've been there, Chicago, Boston, NYC, up and down the West Coast, and to Utah, Arizona, and New Orleans. However, I've started wondering about lesser known location in the US - Portland ME, Ashland NC, Bowling Green KY....I wonder what Buffalo, NY or Colombus, OH are like?

Can anyone suggest any nice places in the US that are sort of off the tourist trap trail and still have a sense of place and character?
I'm originally from Boston. Baltimore reminds me of Boston with its architecture and waterfront and size and scope. Interestingly enough, there's currently a big tourism push in Boston from the City of Baltimore. I know a lot of Bostonians used to go down to Baltimore for Red Sox games. I did that myself, although in my case, I went up, since I was living in the D.C. area at the time.

Camden Yards is the best baseball park in the country. Had the best hot dog I've ever had in my life there. The area around the park is very nice. Baltimore is like a cheaper, warmer version of Boston. I know the city's got its problems, but FWIW, there wasn't any point when I was there (I've visited there twice and then drove through a bunch of times) that I felt unsafe.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:52 AM

6,857 posts, read 7,053,972 times
It has been 25 years since I was there but I liked Alamogordo, New Mexico.

Overseas my favorite place is Rota, Spain in the winter time.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:48 AM

1,179 posts, read 745,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
To only the above...

Every one is quaint, to actually nice, to gorgeous. I'm thinking really hard about actually moving to Poulsbo as a retirement destination not terribly remote from Seattle city-of, but a ferry ride away which is not a bad thing. The Norwegian kitsch aside, it's a cool place to be. Leavenworth is something of a gag, if you know the history, but I was hauled there for Christmas a couple years ago and had a splendid time: lots of holiday cheer.
OMG, just took a virtual Google tour down Front Street and I am in love! Never heard of Poulsbo, it is now on my list! Thank you!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:28 AM

1,045 posts, read 305,452 times
Quote:
A tacky tourist town is something else. I've been to many of the towns on that list and lots of them are tacky. Spent some time in the Smokey Mountains and then drove into Gatlinburg. Couldn't not drive out of there fast enough.
That bought back memories.. , I was in total shock driving through Gatlinburg after the beauty of the Smokey mountains it was a very surreal experience to say the least.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:52 PM

1,052 posts, read 486,788 times
Several towns on the US 62 corridor in KY have some nice downtown areas. Greenville, Leitchfield, and Bardstown all come to mind.

Cookeville and Sewanee come to mind as charming places in Middle Tennessee. Both in or near the Cumberland Plateau region.

Others in the Midwestern Region that can be hidden gems:
Corydon, IN
Galena, IL
Hannibal, MO
Eminence, MO
Decorah, IA
Harrisburg, IL
Valentine, NE

Old 11-27-2020, 08:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,393 posts, read 47,391,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
DH and I used to travel the "blue highways" every year and covered all 48 lower states, multiple times. One town that stands out in my memory is Summerville, SC. We were there in the spring, everything in bloom, just beautiful.

As far as theme trips, you couldn't go wrong taking a trip through the south in the spring, hitting all the little BBQ joints. Unless you are vegetarian, lol.
Beaufort, SC is also pretty sweet.

When in Iowa (SE)

Villages of Van Buren is a nice area with several small towns.
https://villagesofvanburen.com/

Old 11-27-2020, 08:32 PM

2,692 posts, read 1,030,590 times
A Southern city that is way underrated, and worth a visit is Columbus, GA.

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.nationalinfantrymuseum.com

www.alwaysuptown.com

www.historicwestville.com

www.portcolumbusnavalmuseum.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel