U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 10:27 PM

10,045 posts, read 10,388,273 times

Advertisements

We enjoyed the salt and pepper museum when we were in Gatlinburg several years ago. Someone had a very quirky collection.

Stowe, VT and Rutland VT are very nice. There's lots to do and see in the Stowe area and you can use that as a base while visiting Cabot Creamery and the very touristy Ben and Jerry's. But there's also beautiful lakes for swimming, a Maple Syrup museum, lake Champlain, hiking and other activities in the summer, besides winter skiing. Take a road trip of Vermont's covered bridges.

I liked Holland, MI and the surrounding towns a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 10:33 AM

6,876 posts, read 4,542,558 times
When the border reopens, Nova Scotia is a very nice place to visit. Halifax for the city, but Cape Breton Island and Louisbourg are worth seeing.

We favored places like National Parks and have visited 30, but still missed a few that I would liked to have visited. Bryce Canyon was a favorite. Having a picnic supper while watching the moon rise over the grand canyon was memorable.

It is pleasant to reminisce things like a raft ride on the Colorado river from the Glen Canyon dam to Lee's Ferry. Our guide after pointing out many sights, took out a guitar and sang to us.

We greatly enjoyed driving down the Baja in a RV caravan with a dozen couples/friends. We had a 2 people travel trailer, so the driving was easy. Not at all like driving a Greyhound bus as the really big motorhomes are.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:55 PM

30,104 posts, read 29,776,689 times
Doylestown, PA, New Hope, PA, and Lambertville, NJ. New Hope is only ten miles from Doylestown, and Lambertville is just across the Delaware River from New Hope. All three are destinations.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:49 AM

15,446 posts, read 26,774,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I liked Holland, MI and the surrounding towns a lot.
That is a really nice town and nearby Grand Rapids is really also a liveable town. Holland has a really good craft brewery whose name has escaped me.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:58 PM

740 posts, read 274,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Rugby TN

Most of your list is legit but there is basically nothing in Rugby Tenn. The surrounding Big South Fork recreational area is incredible for hiking with natural arches and rock houses.

Eureka Springs in Arkansas is a good base camp for visiting the Ozarks, Buffalo River, caves etc in the area and a unique town with numerous hotels.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:14 PM

740 posts, read 274,454 times
Here are some of my suggestions.

Eureka Springs, Arkansas - mentioned in my previous post. has a unique look to it and history. I'd also recommend Little Rock or some of the smaller towns to the west of it as an alternative base camp for exploring the Ozark mountains. Petit Jean State Park and Magazine Mountain State Parks are fantastic. Little Rock has a nice riverfront area. Hot Springs is popular too but I didn't get over there. Hot Springs is probably the most standard touristy place in Arkansas.

Helen, Georgia - near tubing on Chattahoochie River and the north Georgia mountains and waterfalls (state high point overlook on Brasstown Bald, Anna Ruby Falls, Tallulah Gorge etc). unique architecture

Roanoke VA - nice mountain overlook park in town with a zoo Mill Mountain with a gigantic star that is lit. Roanoke is located in the Blue Ridge and the Parkway runs through town. Roanoke near some of the best hiking in the southeast to include the Triple Crown of the Appalachian Trail. Smith Mountain Lake nearby is one of the best in the country.

Walhalla SC / Clemson SC / Greenville SC - These cities are located near the Blue Ridge in western SC. Numerous waterfalls including Issaqueena Falls and Upper Whitewater Falls. Lake Jocassee is a clear mountain lake with a great state park on it, Devil's Fork, where you can rent boats and tour the waterfalls that drop into the lake. There are several great overlooks in the area to include Sassafras Mountain (state high point), Caesars Head, Pretty Place, Jumping Off Rock, Table Rock, and Tamassee Knob. Highway 11 that runs through this area has several state parks and other recreational areas nearby.

Greenville has a fantastic downtown area with a waterfall and park around it, Falls Park, if you prefer a more urban location.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 12-21-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-21-2020, 05:00 PM

4,377 posts, read 5,127,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I was just in Twin Falls Idaho and it was 100000x better than I expected. Great place!

Twin used to be a great town......did you like it because it reminded you of California??

Old 05-16-2021, 04:44 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,143,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is a really nice town and nearby Grand Rapids is really also a liveable town. Holland has a really good craft brewery whose name has escaped me.
Was it New Holland Brewing? I remember trying their beers, and even visiting their taproom when I visited Holland a few years back. We also briefly visited the taproom for Our Brewing while in Holland, as well.

Some of the smaller cities and towns I like:

Monroe, WI

Northfield, MN

Ottawa, IL

Columbus, IN

Nashville, IN

Madison, IN

Sault Ste Marie, MI (also liked the bigger SSM in Ontario when we crossed the border, as well)

Staunton, VA

Morgantown, WV

Bardstown, KY

Yellow Springs, OH

Appalachicola, FL

I wouldn't be surprised, if I may've forgotten a handful of nicer smaller cities and towns that stood out to me. Tried to remember as many as I could, while looking at an atlas.

And when I took the Amtrak Empire Builder west to Montana(to Glacier National Park) in 2019, I do have to say that now it's kinda made me want to visit Red Wing, MN and Minot, ND someday.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:17 AM

56 posts, read 18,618 times
Towns (and a few cities) in the western US/British Columbia that I really like:
Victoria, BC Canada
Vancouver BC Canada
Port Townsend Washington State
Bellingham Washington State
Seattle Washington State
Leavenworth Washington State
Walla Walla Washington State
Portland Oregon
Hood River Oregon
Joseph Oregon
Brookings Oregon
Ashland Oregon
Boise Idaho
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Twin Falls Idaho
Kalispell Montana
Missoula Montana
Bozeman Montana
Helena Montana
Jackson Hole Wyoming
Cody Wyoming
Park City Utah
Moab Utah
Springdale Utah
Mendocino California
San Francisco California
Santa Cruz California
San Louis Obisbo and Morro Bay California
Santa Barbara California
Carson City Nevada
Vegas Nevada (it also has some great nature believe it or not)
Flagstaff Arizona
Sedona Arizona
Prescott Arizona
I am going to skip Colorado- there are too many towns to list.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:21 AM

56 posts, read 18,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Sure. I've lived roughly five places in the US, Boston to Seattle, and my dad was a big traveler so with the family I've seen more than a little of the US and Ontario. On my own I've traversed BC, the southern half anyway, more than a few times.

Bay Area was one place I lived, for seven years. I was always on the go, on my motorcycle, and my job was almost daily travel to places near and far mostly in-state. First order of business is to ensure you've done the following and isn't terribly far away:

- Up to Humboldt County on Hwy 101, or Hwy 1 if-time. All the way to Crescent City, actually. If you've not been on Avenue of the Giants, "just wow." There's a diner in Weott with great pancakes, and while a nothing-town there are a few things to see...or not see...in the area making it worthwhile.

- Mendocino County, more spots to stop than I can count. I've seen most of the smaller towns there, which are largely unlike anything else in the US AFAIK: visit Boonville and Philo on Hwy 128, one of my favorite highways in the state. Have a burger at a 50 y.o classic diner in Willits, CA, and report back. I looked it up; unsurprisingly it's called the 101 Diner and I used to hit it every time to and from Humboldt. OR, take the Skunk Train, Willits to Ft. Bragg: it's a hoot. "World Famous," they boast. Hmm...

- Pop into Merced, there used to be an Italian restaurant there to-die for w/home made pasta and authentic cuisine. Spent a month there decades ago working at the now-decommissioned Castle AFB, which was active at the time. You haven't lived until you've seen a scramble (or whatever they call a drill) of a dozen or more B-52s taking off really *fast* to get to what they used to call Fail Safe points, long ago. Ah, the Cold War...

- Pop into Monterey and explore that area in-detail. The aquarium! And so much more. Don't forget the track, formerly called Laguna Seca and quite the site. Best track in the US, and I had the privilege of a couple track days there (on motorcycles) plus I've seen the US GP there a few times.

- Santa Clara County has much to see, as does Santa Cruz County. A lot of it burned up recently, I gather, but still...San Mateo County, too. Stop in for a meal at Alice's, if it still exists.

- Further south, exploring the hills NW of Los Angeles is interesting (Santa Monica Mountains). Mullholland Highway will take you to the Rock Store, and you've not lived until you've been there (if still open). I figure it's a year-round treat for bikers, anyway, on weekends at least. Never found any trouble there myself, it's just a nifty stop on an interesting highway not 30 miles from one of the largest metros in the US.

I don't recall leaving the state too much those seven years, there is so much to see and do. I couldn't get ahead there economically, and assume it's vastly worse now, but it's a helluva place to be for activities like biking, motorcycling, and general sight-seeing. Start there, report back, then worry about other interesting places like Nevada and Oregon, and of course WA State. Oregon could fill a book with cool things to see as it's mostly rural, from deserts to endless forests. Don't get me started on that.

There is much more to see in this great nation, I grew up in Michigan and wouldn't know where to start in terms of things to mention there, too, but first and foremost explore the north, south, and east of the Bay Area in-detail. That will take years.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel