Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 01:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,697 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

If the USA could get daily testing with quick results (available in other countries for nearly a yr...) AND have very accurate contact tracing, we could get back on the road.

Last week we had the option of a $240 test that may not give results in time, or driving 3 hrs away for a 2 minute free test (to allow travel to Hawaii). 5 minutes across the state line we could have done an 'on-line' test for $130, but NOT ALLOWED for residents of our state.

Quite honestly it is tough to believe how inept the USA has been with Covid 'KNOWN' issues. but is a very good illustration of the total mess our HC system is in.

Too bad that is tanking the USA economy / jobs / businesses / economic growth / scientific advances / schools and 473,528 deaths (all needlessly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 02:21 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not Canada keeping them apart. That's the USA. The woman in that article was a Canadian trying to get into the USA, not the other way around.
And yet, Canadians can fly in, just not drive.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:50 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know. Honor system, I guess. Tell people they can't come to see you while you're in quarantine.
Having visitors when you are in quarantine is not permitted. It was a moot point for me, since I wouldn't have had any visitors even when not in quarantine
Trouble is, it only takes a few people to bend the rules and the virus takes off again.

We have to quarantine at home for fourteen days if we are a contact of a case. Even if we have been somewhere like a large shopping mall and there has been an infected person visiting the mall at the same time we are supposed to home quarantine. I am sure not everyone does that.

There have been single cases detected in workers in quarantine hotels in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth this past month. Being single cases the tracers have used every available method to try to identify how the virus spread but without success.

I don’t care about travel any more. It is all too uncertain and I prefer to stay home and enjoy all the places I have not previously been , even in a lifetime of living in this city.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:44 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And yet, Canadians can fly in, just not drive.
Exactly The virus apparently can travel in a car but not in a plane.

That bugged me a bit about the story. The woman didn't have the money to fly. Her relatives couldn't scrape up enough funds to get her a ticket to see her dying mother?

Anyway, the USA should implement a compassionate exemption as Canada has. Stories like this are too sad.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Trouble is, it only takes a few people to bend the rules and the virus takes off again.

We have to quarantine at home for fourteen days if we are a contact of a case. Even if we have been somewhere like a large shopping mall and there has been an infected person visiting the mall at the same time we are supposed to home quarantine. I am sure not everyone does that.

There have been single cases detected in workers in quarantine hotels in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth this past month. Being single cases the tracers have used every available method to try to identify how the virus spread but without success.

I don’t care about travel any more. It is all too uncertain and I prefer to stay home and enjoy all the places I have not previously been , even in a lifetime of living in this city.
Same here. My daughter's bf got COVID. They lived together. She had to stay home in the one-bedroom apartment with him for 14 days. Actually, HE only had to quarantine for ten once he was diagnosed (mild symptoms only). She never got COVID, but she did do the quarantine.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:48 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Anyway to get around travel restrictions?

Travel between countries is still restricted to essential needs. You cannot even go to Canada still for vacation.

But is there anything you can say at the checkpoints at airports, or borders? What kind of proof if any is required to cross?

Tourism must be getting killed.
People are dying from the virus by the thousands a day. And now these vaccine resistant variants are spreading like wildfire. The one from the UK is doubling in size every day here in America.

If one wants to leave the country you can drive across the border to Mexico, Mexico will welcome you with just a temperature check. You can fly to Mexico but now coming back requires quarantining. As far as tourism getting killed. If people vacation in their country tourism should be a wash. In America nearly the same amount is made from foreign tourists coming here as is lost from Americans traveling abroad.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:19 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
I would worry about my car getting vandalized in Canada with USA plates right now.

As someone else posted Mexico is wide open, worse they will do is have you pay a 30 dollar tourist Visa.

I sorely miss being in Tijuana right now!!

Old 02-07-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I would worry about my car getting vandalized in Canada with USA plates right now.

As someone else posted Mexico is wide open, worse they will do is have you pay a 30 dollar tourist Visa.

I sorely miss being in Tijuana right now!!
Ha, I joked about that at the border when they said I could stop and use a washroom or get food from a drive-through. I said I didn't want to stop anyway because I was afraid someone would see my Jersey plates and pelt me with rotten eggs. They looked somewhat perplexed, probably because most Canadians don't think that way.

However...there was some vandalism reported in the paper when cars with Alberta plates were seen in Vancouver last year when there wasn't supposed to be any travel between provinces.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Mexico...just came back from Cancun. Most resorts now include the testing needed to get back into the US as well.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Quite honestly it is tough to believe how inept the USA has been with Covid 'KNOWN' issues. but is a very good illustration of the total mess our HC system is in.
This has nothing to do with USA HC system.

It has to do with politics, economics, etc. nothing to do with actual medical treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel