Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 02:03 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I would dearly love to see the Chicago "Bean" and the art museum there and nothing else in Chicago would get me to visit.
I like THIN crust pizza, no discussion..
Chicago residents like thin crust pizza also, the other stuff is for tourists. There's a whole genre of midwestern "tavern" pizza which we keep a secret from outsiders (traditionally cracker-thin crust, square-cut, loaded with fennel-heavy sausage and rich tomato sauce)

And if you visit, save some time for the other museums -- personally, the Art Institute (reopening next week!) not only isn't my favorite Chicago museum, it's not even my favorite Chicago art museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 02:16 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Chicago residents like thin crust pizza also, the other stuff is for tourists. There's a whole genre of midwestern "tavern" pizza which we keep a secret from outsiders (traditionally cracker-thin crust, square-cut, loaded with fennel-heavy sausage and rich tomato sauce)

And if you visit, save some time for the other museums -- personally, the Art Institute (reopening next week!) not only isn't my favorite Chicago museum, it's not even my favorite Chicago art museum.
Thanks for the information. Please name your favorite art museum, I def. thought the the Art Institute was the top internationally. And so great to know Chicago has thin crust! I make ours at home because so disappointed in every pizza gotten in Florida and now Charlotte NC no matter what they say. People do not have trustworthy taste in reviews.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Chicago's City Gallery is a better venue for a nice spring day, barring riots and looters

Chicago thin crust recipe for home chefs
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Please name your favorite art museum, I def. thought the the Art Institute was the top internationally. And so great to know Chicago has thin crust! I make ours at home because so disappointed in every pizza gotten in Florida and now Charlotte NC no matter what they say. People do not have trustworthy taste in reviews.
If you make it to Apopka, FL give Rosati's pizza a try, the Chicago locations do a fine thin crust.

I prefer the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, though I haven't been downtown in over a year; employer basically forbid us to go to the office at all once the rioting and looting took off.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:20 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
It depends, I like a mix. I tend to visit museums on the days when weather is poor in whatever area I am visiting. On occasion there is something in the museum I particularly want to see. I like a mix of museums with historical sites / exhibits, architectural significant structures and walking tours that show a combination (if available). Museums in small regions can be fun for silly memories depending on what the area of interest is / was known for.

One plus of nicer museums strategically on an itinerary is - depending on how you are traveling and how long you may be from your 'base' lodgings - they tend to have cleaner public restrooms based upon the demographics of who visits. A few times on trips in Europe, with full days of exploration planned, the 'museum' was a welcome pit stop as well.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:27 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I love museums - all types. Art, history, decorative arts, sculpture, science, automotive, personal. I don't spend the whole day in a museum, but I love to spend several hours being surrounded by the beauty and information they convey.

I find it interesting that so many people say they don't like museums and seem proud of it. Yet, one I tell people I am indifferent to football or the Super Bowl, they are incredulous. They go on to impress upon me how I must not really understand the Super Bowl, how great it is, how wonderful football is, I should give it another go, spend more time on it.

If someone tells me they don't like museums, I consider it their loss but I don't berate them for it. Personal choices for personal enjoyment.
Ha, my twin sister. I too have no interest in football. I've now watched the Superbowl for the past two years, and they were the first times I watched any football since I kicked my gambler husband out twenty years ago. The only reason I watched it when I was married because I needed to know how much money he was losing. I had the spreads, the over/under, all his bets in my head and I'd look at the scores. For a long time after, just the sound of a football game gave me PTSD symptoms.

But last night I watched with my S.O., who is not that into football but watches the playoffs and the Superbowl. I saw the pregame and the commercials, but after a while, I said, "This is the part of the Superbowl I don't like." He said, "The part where they are actually playing football?" Yup! The whole thing just seems kind of pointless.

Give me a museum over that any day. Not a football museum, though.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:07 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
How important are Museums on your itinerary?
It depends where I'm traveling. If I'm traveling to Paris or Florence, it's very important. If I'm in Bali or Bora Bora, not so much.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:42 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Quote:
How important are Museums on your itinerary?
Not very. While I enjoy art, I don't necessarily want to spend a good portion of my day, in a new place, inside looking at paintings. A couple examples from my travels:

-- While in Florence, walking through the Uffizi was arduous for me, but looking at Michaelangelo's David in the Academia was breathtaking.
-- While in Rome, the Vatican Museum, as opulent and stunning as it is, was just a walk-through for me to get to the final prize, the Sistine Chapel.
-- While in London, my husband and I skipped the palaces and Tower of London. We walked around the grounds of Tower of London, but had no real desire to go inside. What we did do while in London that was amazing was go to the Churchill War Rooms.

An exception I will make if I ever get to the Netherlands is the Kroller-Muller Museum to see my favorite Van Gogh in person - Cafe Terrace at Night.

Honestly, I've done more museum visiting here at home, at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I've gone for various exhibits (Dali was pretty cool) and they have an amazing Japanese Tea Room on the top floor with lighting that imagines you are outside. So it's completely immersive and you can walk through it.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:07 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
I've been to the Art Institute, and I loved it -- can't recommend it highly enough. For me, it's a world class example of its type -- the Seurat "Grand Jatte" painting alone is worth the price of admission. Of course, it's not the only museum game in town, art or otherwise. The Museum of Contemporary Art is excellent, and I also enjoyed the art museums at the University of Chicago (the Smart and Oriental Institute Museums) and Intuit (which is an outsider art museum). Chicago also has a wonderful natural history museum (The Field), a world class science museum (MoSI), an excellent city history museum (Chicago History Museum), and splendid architecture.

Re pizza, neither Florida nor Charlotte are hotbeds of this food. I'd be leery of suggestions there, myself. I happened to enjoy the thick crust pizza I had in Chicago, as well as the best thin crust examples in places like New York, New Haven, and Boston.

YMMV, of course.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:10 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Give me a museum over that any day. Not a football museum, though.

You should be okay as long as you avoid Canton, Ohio, which is where the Pro Football Hall of Fame is located. That's the only American football museum I'm aware of.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
I much prefer going to small museums as they don't feel as overwhelming as the larger ones. When we visit a large museum, it's usually to see a specific exhibit.

As for battlefields, we've been to several. Some of them have rangers who give talks. When our daughter was a pre-teen, she liked the ranger talk session we attended at Little Big Horn as it had many interesting facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel