Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 06:59 PM

928 posts, read 498,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Your political references are embarrassing us that follow a GOP ideology (at least economically). Come on, we heard this so much when Bush and Trump where elected from the Dems: "Well I am going to move from the USA". Of course non of those liberal jokers moved, and if that is what you claim as your reason, you won't move either, you are simply voicing your political opinion in the disguise as a travel forum.
Plus, seriously, the US is strong enough to withstand any political difference, bad policy decisions, etc. We have more in common than you think...and, the "grass is not greener". Take that from a global traveler.
You also need to address some serious and complex immigration issues, it's not as simple as moving to another state obviously.
And finally - I for one am tired about reading about politics!

Some advice however - DO NOT post in the legal immigration forum, that's for the people that want to immigrate to the US. You will probably get more useful advice posting in the Americas forum.
But be honest with yourself - you aren't moving.
Wow, way to judge me. I said I've had this thought for 2 years. Did you not read that? If I could edit out the one line everyone is focused on, I would, as it is NOT the reason at all. So instead of judging me, how about coming up with something useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
My advice is to forget C-D and seek out ex-pat forums for the places you are interested. Don't make any quick firm commitments. Rent don't buy. These places have a lower cost of living if you can live like a local, which is likely a lower standard than you're accustomed to no matter how poor you may think you are. You'll need to know or learn the local language to be successful. Lots of Americans have made the move, some succeed and remain there forever, most are back in the US within five years. And if you're concerned about politics here, just wait until you see how they work there. And you'll have no right to have an opinion on it. Literally.

Just curious, how much time have you spent in these countries?

Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We had looked into potentially moving the beach in Ecuador for retirement, so we did a lot of research. Turns out, it's not for us.

While there were plenty of upsides that piqued our interest, we knew it wouldn't work for us and how we live our lives.

One major reason is that I am too picky of an eater for that culture. Language would be another barrier to overcome.

We also embrace the quality of civil services here in the US such as 911, emergency responders, etc. We wouldn't want to give up our cars, but they are such a commodity in Ecuador (price and operating expense).

Things are just much different in these other countries. We came to the realization that it would not be a good fit for us in spite of the money we'd have retained from the lower COL there.

So we just let that idea go by the wayside.
Thats helpful, thanks. I may come to the same conclusion, but I have to at least continue to explore it. Hey, maybe Panama is a better option, but really I'm not at retirement age and still want to go out sometimes and have some fun. I get the impression that many many baby boomers have taken it over but I could be wildly off. Just I've heard it so much that I'd rather look into another place. That said, I do know its American friendly and I could work there, which is a huge plus for sure. I'm just exploring right now. Playa Del Carmen, Medellin, and ok, maybe Panama. Ecuador holds some interest, but not as much after your insights.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
My advice is to forget C-D and seek out ex-pat forums for the places you are interested. Don't make any quick firm commitments. Rent don't buy. These places have a lower cost of living if you can live like a local, which is likely a lower standard than you're accustomed to no matter how poor you may think you are. You'll need to know or learn the local language to be successful. Lots of Americans have made the move, some succeed and remain there forever, most are back in the US within five years. And if you're concerned about politics here, just wait until you see how they work there. And you'll have no right to have an opinion on it. Literally.
OP: Oceangaia and I have quite differing political views but I AGREE with the general advice offered above especially the bolded parts.

I have visited Colombia as a tourist 6 times...Medellin is certainly quite nice. Colombia has a lot to offer.

I have considered going the Ex-pat route. However, good luck securing a good paying job in Colombia unless you can bring an income stream with you. For example, you bring your remote job with you, an online business or some other business you can bring with you. If you are 25 and just starting your career then the above will matter a lot less to you. From your first post I gather you are older than that but I don't know for certain.

I've never pulled the trigger because I can't take my good paying U.S.-based job with me to Colombia (or any other Latin American country). My Spanish is pretty decent but certainly not "business" fluent.

As Oceangaia noted, in order to nail down the details there are better/more specialized Ex-pat sites that can assist you with the nitty gritty details. There are quite a few out there if you search for them. Ecuador and Panama tend to make it the easiest for U.S. Ex-pats but all countries have different rules, programs, etc. You have to do the research.

I would suggest you try to post a similar thread in the "America's" section on C-D's World Forum Section. Some American Ex-Pats post there and could give you some pointers (including at least one who lives or used to live in Colombia). I agree with what some others have suggested: I try to draw a line in the sand when I post outside the politics forum on C-D. Just leave U.S. politics out of it.

Language: How is your Spanish? Personally, I would not want to live in Latin America unless I had a decent grasp of Spanish (or Portuguese if I was heading to Brazil). Yes, you can learn once you are down there but better to show up with some of the local language under your belt. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 02-23-2021 at 12:46 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 05:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Wow, way to judge me. I said I've had this thought for 2 years. Did you not read that? If I could edit out the one line everyone is focused on, I would, as it is NOT the reason at all. So instead of judging me, how about coming up with something useful?
I did - read my last paragraph. You are choosing the wrong forums.

EDIT: hey thanks for the guy that left me a "good reputation point": "If you are a GOP'er, you're a very weak one. Cancel culture at its best on this board"
How funny, leaving a positive rep with a negative message. I am assuming that is you Don? I know you are new - that's not exactly what rep comments are used for.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-23-2021 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 06:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
Enough home equity to last you two years is nowhere near enough, ideally you'd want enough saved up to buy/rent a home and live on until social security kicks in. Also, keep a close eye on your investments and 401K and be ready to dump it all into cash if needed - Joe seems like a decent centrist guy for the most part but stocks and our ability to save for retirement will be in the world of hurt if we end up with ilhanced aocratic bernienomics farther down the road.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:07 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

Just curious, how much time have you spent in these countries?
Hardly any expats here in Ecuador know Spanish. Yeah, it´d be great to know, but after 5 years, we still haven´t learned it, embarrassingly enough. But no one else we know has either, though we all take a stab at lessons. So, sure it´d be preferable, but don´t let that stop you. We get along just fine.

No, we don´t live like a local either. That doesn´t prevent us from benefitting from the lower costs. Like health care at $80 per month for us both. Property taxes at $50 a year. We have a luxury beachfront condo with air conditioning, infinity pool and all the usual conveniences.

Ecuador is one of the only places to let seniors on their national health plan. I´ve had 3 ER visits and the ambulance came right away and I was treated very well, they were patient with my lack of Spanish. And not a penny out of pocket either. There was no difference in the hospital than in the U.S. except a lack of paperwork, lol. Homemade, healthy food too!

Yeah, the food sucks unless you like rice and plantains all the time, but we just cook our own. If you become a resident, you can vote. We don´t bother...

It is true that many expats go back. In our 5 years here, we´ve lost most of our neighbors and have all new ones. It seems to be health concerns and grandkids that bring them back to Canada and the U.S. I think the percentage is about half, that end up going back.
:
We´re stayin´! Because of the low COL, we can afford trips to Europe. In the U.S. we´d be in a mobile home on the Salton Sea....just kiddin´, but that´s the comparison.

ETA: After 4 months in Portugal, we loved it too. English is widely spoken too, so learning Portuguese isn´t necessary. But age restrictions on joining the health care plan is a deterrent.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:00 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Quote:
I don't care if you help or not. Brought it up because if I take a year off and come back to a horrible economy, not good.
Horrible economies in Latin America too. I was thinking of going to Uruguay. so, I went to a specific expat Uruguay forum (not here)and found out that crime is through the roof now due to unemployment and Covid.

Crime is real there. For me" in Brazil, the cops took my money.

As long as you feel you can handle yourself safely there, try it out for 3 months. Even the news down there will speak about int'l news and that's all USA or the EU.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:24 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
I have an idea that I can't stop thinking about. Was going to delay this 5 years, but I can't imagine staying in my current situation another 5 years. I'm in the midwest (not from here), have a good job (worst boss ever), no local friends, and a relationship I'm considering ending.

I've had this plan in the back of my mind to move to a Latin American country for the past 2 years. The plan was to do it in my late 50's, but I'm starting to think I should do it while I'm still relatively young. I need to know how to become an Expat and make an ok living without going through savings, as I don't have enough to retire. Although I have enough money to easily live there for 2 years with my home equity alone.

Medellin is my #1 choice. I know the first step is to visit, but from what I've read its amazing. I need to live my life, which has basically been on hold since my ex-wife left 12 years ago. I can't keep going like this. Every day is Groundhog day. Who has done this? Who is also considering something like this? Horror stories? Success stories? I need as much info as I can get. I will likely plan a trip this year. Were it not for Covid, I'd go now.

My options are go live there for a year and take a sabbatical, then come back to America to my actual home city (Atlanta) and look for a job if Biden hasn't completely destroyed the economy. Or maybe I get lucky and get to stay and/or split time somehow. Right now its more than just a passing idea, but I have no real plan yet. I just love the culture, the women, and learning Spanish is on my bucket list. I grew up with Spanish people and enjoy them so much. Would love any and all feedback!
I think you have a slightly unrealistic fantasy about what life will be like living in South America.

It sounds like you're in a town that you don't care for, without many friends, with a job that's too good to keep you looking for better options.

It seems to me that a livelier city in a warmer climate with a bigger scene of adults might be what you're looking for. Atlanta could probably fit the bill. Florida almost certainly would fit the bill, Miami or Tampa.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think you have a slightly unrealistic fantasy about what life will be like living in South America.

It sounds like you're in a town that you don't care for, without many friends, with a job that's too good to keep you looking for better options.

It seems to me that a livelier city in a warmer climate with a bigger scene of adults might be what you're looking for. Atlanta could probably fit the bill. Florida almost certainly would fit the bill, Miami or Tampa.
I don't know about fantasy, but I agree with all your other points. I detest where I live and am from Atlanta, so yeah, trying to move back, but it just hasn't worked. At the end of my rope here. Its not even that I have to have a livelier city, but maybe a friendlier one. You see, there are no transplants here and as a result its so cliquish its ridiculous. If you'd told me 20 years ago this would be my life, I'd have shot myself in the head, literally.

I grew up in South Florida and not a big fan, but I do like Tampa. That is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel