Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 PM

928 posts, read 499,632 times

Advertisements

I have an idea that I can't stop thinking about. Was going to delay this 5 years, but I can't imagine staying in my current situation another 5 years. I'm in the midwest (not from here), have a good job (worst boss ever), no local friends, and a relationship I'm considering ending.

I've had this plan in the back of my mind to move to a Latin American country for the past 2 years. The plan was to do it in my late 50's, but I'm starting to think I should do it while I'm still relatively young. I need to know how to become an Expat and make an ok living without going through savings, as I don't have enough to retire. Although I have enough money to easily live there for 2 years with my home equity alone.

Medellin is my #1 choice. I know the first step is to visit, but from what I've read its amazing. I need to live my life, which has basically been on hold since my ex-wife left 12 years ago. I can't keep going like this. Every day is Groundhog day. Who has done this? Who is also considering something like this? Horror stories? Success stories? I need as much info as I can get. I will likely plan a trip this year. Were it not for Covid, I'd go now.

My options are go live there for a year and take a sabbatical, then come back to America to my actual home city (Atlanta) and look for a job if Biden hasn't completely destroyed the economy. Or maybe I get lucky and get to stay and/or split time somehow. Right now its more than just a passing idea, but I have no real plan yet. I just love the culture, the women, and learning Spanish is on my bucket list. I grew up with Spanish people and enjoy them so much. Would love any and all feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 05:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
My options are go live there for a year and take a sabbatical, then come back to America to my actual home city (Atlanta) and look for a job if Biden hasn't completely destroyed the economy. Or maybe I get lucky and get to stay and/or split time somehow. Right now its more than just a passing idea, but I have no real plan yet. I just love the culture, the women, and learning Spanish is on my bucket list. I grew up with Spanish people and enjoy them so much. Would love any and all feedback!
My feedback would be to keep politics out of the forum and not start off your thread by alienating 51.3% of the people from whom you are requesting help.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
My feedback would be to keep politics out of the forum and not start off your thread by alienating 51.3% of the people from whom you are requesting help.
So helpful. I should have said any feedback except this. Besides, those 51.3% (an exaggeration) probably think this country is nirvana now. That said, you chose to focus on something that has nothing really to do with me leaving, unlike your party who threatened the same 4 years ago. But it is relevant if I'm coming back to 10% unemployment.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:04 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Perhaps you want to post this on the Legal Immigration forum for more helpful replies.

If you are interested in Ecuador as an option, I suggest following JP and Amelia YouTube Channel.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Perhaps you want to post this on the Legal Immigration forum for more helpful replies.

If you are interested in Ecuador as an option, I suggest following JP and Amelia YouTube Channel.
Yeah, I should move it, as this isn't getting helpful advice (excluding you, of course). Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:03 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
That said, you chose to focus on something that has nothing really to do with me leaving, ...
Then why did you bring it up?

I have to agree with MadMan. I'm less inclined to help.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:20 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
To OP do not go on a choice by what you read.
Go visit a country see how it is. Go live there like 3 months. Then you have more of an idea of how it is.
Being a tourist in a hotel is one thing, but rent a place go grocery shopping, some minor health thing go see a GP see how that is.
I have mentioned my relative in other posts. Went to Spain and Portugal few times to see for living there in retirement. Was native spanish speaker but other spanish. Each time came back.
The australian guy from Youtube SpainSpeaks has video on living there.Some of his tips also apply to latin american countries. Like pace of life. Noisy loud socializing. The being an expat. The deeper insights on living in other country as a non-native.
Panama has a lot of americans living there in retirement there is the Boquete forum used to read there years ago. I do not know the situation now, but when I read most folks really liked Panama.
Learning spanish is always a plus.
Try the www.expatforum.com
www.internationalliving.com

Old 02-22-2021, 08:47 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
I think it's called a mid-life crisis. Buy a convertible. Less trouble in the long run.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:42 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Medellin is my #1 choice. I know the first step is to visit, but from what I've read its amazing. I need to live my life, which has basically been on hold since my ex-wife left 12 years ago. I can't keep going like this. Every day is Groundhog day. Who has done this? Who is also considering something like this? Horror stories? Success stories? I need as much info as I can get. I will likely plan a trip this year. Were it not for Covid, I'd go now.
My husband went to Medellin for a conference - a few years ago. It's beautiful, but very poor. The tourist area has a nice veneer, go deeper and its iffy.

If you want to live in South America, why not move to Miami? It has a large expat - South America culture. You'll still be in the USA and able to earn a living, put money into an IRA and not having to deal with Mexican drug gangs. It's a win-win.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Then why did you bring it up?

I have to agree with MadMan. I'm less inclined to help.
I don't care if you help or not. Brought it up because if I take a year off and come back to a horrible economy, not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel