Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 06:54 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times

Advertisements

I agree with loose, comfortable layers. About the only thing I don't wear in Business Class are selections from my giant collection of freebie T-shirts (all G-rated, mostly athletic and corporate events) but you wouldn't get banished to Coach for that!

Do you get to use a Polaris lounge? I was able to use the one in Chicago when flying to Edinburgh- spectacular. It may not be available to passengers to and from Hawaii, though. It was also pre-COVID- not sure whether the experience has deteriorated in the interests of safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
In FC and business, people will go into the planes washroom to change into pj's, it's not unusual. Hint, change back into your clothes prior to the pre-landing meal service. The washroom tends to get quite busy around this time.

I dress comfortably, usually khakis and a nice polo shirt but I've seen all styles, even some that made it on u-tube!

Currently the lounges can be hit or miss and will depend on the carrier or provider. Most still have reduced food options and may have limited access. It's best to check ahead for current conditions if it's a priority with you.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 02-28-2021 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-28-2021, 07:26 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
You're going to love Polaris! Best first class experience ever! On a 13 hour flight from the US to Asia they gave all Polaris passengers a set of sweat pants/sweat shirt pajamas. We didn't wear them on the flight but we brought them home and I still wear them from time to time - very comfortable. They might not give out the pjs on shorter flights but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Definitely go for comfort and ease - everyone else will be doing the same. I always like having pockets and some pants don't have them (I'm a woman) so a long comfy sweater with pockets is a good idea.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Doesn't Polaris still provide pajamas in First/Business class?
If they are like Delta, PJs are given out only on certain length flights. On my flight to Asia, we were given PJs on Delta. The other good thing on biz class flights is they give slippers to wear but only on certain lengths of flights.

I typically wear jeans, a t-shirt and long sleeve button-up shirt. I typically don't sleep too well on planes so just enjoy the drinks watching movies. Enjoy the trip OP and dress comfortable.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:16 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
I don't imagine wriggling around uncomfortably in wrinkled fancy clothes is much more attractive than just wearing something comfortable to begin with.

At any rate, it's not even an 8 hour flight... what would you wear in your regular life for 8 hours a day? (So really-- sure, dress up. Not that much different than going to work and sitting at your desk all day in work clothes, right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Um, that's very personal, and probably not appropriate for these boards.
If it's that "personal," I hope you're not wearing it on a plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
And don't walk around in just socks. I once had an unfortunate encounter with a needle and my foot in a bathroom. Yes, a real AIDS scare about 20 years ago...
Not to mention whatever you're walking through is probably disgusting, so if I was wearing just socks I'd bring extra pairs to change into so I wasn't then putting those socks into my shoes. Let's put it this way-- I once passed on a train bathroom because I opened the door and on the floor was a puddle where someone probably missed the toilet {I hope they just sloshed water from the sink, but...}. NOPE. I'm sure it happens on planes too, especially if there are kids on board...)

Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
LOL. I'm thinking maybe yoga pants, socks and a long sleeved shirt??
I suggest loose fitting all cotton relaxation clothes. With easy to slip on slippers. The floors get icky and wet. I keep slippers that I get at the hotels in my on board travel bag. You will be especially glad when you hit the head.

I recommend cotton or other natural fibers.

Your daytime flight won't seem that long with the settling in, getting familiar with the gadgets, and the meals. The red eye coming home is tiring so you will want to sleep on that flight.

Don't worry about what you look like. As long as you don't have ratty holes and pasta stains, anything goes these days. I don't agree with it, but that's for another thread!

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/wear...ane-59587.html

Old 02-28-2021, 12:31 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Tactical shirt? Boots? Tactical pants (I suppose)? Passport neck wallet? Brush hat? Bandanas? All in cotton, of course.

Things with lots of pockets, lots of room to be adjustable for whatever situation you end up in. It's rather curious that travel has gone from the days of Jane in Tarzan (when she arrived, not the tree house) to fancy dress to back to Jane.

Finally, under it all, a tee and bike shorts of some kind (or a cheerleader panty), so in the evening you can undress to something cool.......or not be so put out when you have to strip for airport security.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I suggest loose fitting all cotton relaxation clothes. With easy to slip on slippers. The floors get icky and wet. I keep slippers that I get at the hotels in my on board travel bag. You will be especially glad when you hit the head.

I recommend cotton or other natural fibers.

Your daytime flight won't seem that long with the settling in, getting familiar with the gadgets, and the meals. The red eye coming home is tiring so you will want to sleep on that flight.

Don't worry about what you look like. As long as you don't have ratty holes and pasta stains, anything goes these days. I don't agree with it, but that's for another thread!

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/wear...ane-59587.html
Slippers? Yes, Yes. I take them on most all my flights. Much more comfortable than shoes, especially in cattle class.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
So we are flying first class to Hawaii from Denver in September. United has the Polaris lay down seating. When we fly first class we dress nice. Our longest flight was to NYC so 4.5 hrs. This will be 7.5 hrs. Flying over we leave at 11:30am and get there around 3pm. Leaving HI we leave at 7pm and get to Denver at 6am (overnight) I'd like to be comfortable but not look like a slob either. Also, since hopefully we'll be sleeping coming home, what would I wear? I'm not going to bust out PJs, lol.

What do people normally wear on these flights?

Clothes. No one cares what people wear on plane today. In 1950 it mattered. In 2021 it doesn't matter. If you want to pjs go for it. If you want to wear a ball gown go for it. Seriously no one cares.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
LOL. I'm thinking maybe yoga pants, socks and a long sleeved shirt??
Please do NOT take your shoes off on a plane. They are FILTHY! And no one wants to smell your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel