Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 02:01 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

So. Because my wife and I can't go overseas due to Covid, we thought about where we'd want to go. New England is the only part of the country we haven't explored, so let the planning begin.

We had the great idea to travel by train. We're taking a two-week vacation, after all. The romance of the rails, the countryside sliding past us as we see small-town America roll by.

The idea was to take the train to New York, change trains there and on to Boston. Pretty simple, right?

On the off-chance AmTrak officials are reading this, can we talk?

First thing's first. Your website is absolute misery to use. Convoluted navigation, unhelpful chatbots. When I filled in my point of departure and destination, the website spazzed out. I mean repeatedly. Wouldn't give me any information regarding price, timetable, anything.

Now, I'm mildly annoyed. So I call the phone number and get an full 1 minute and 20 seconds of detailed information on why you need to wear a mask to safeguard against Covid. There's no getting around this message. You have to wait it out. Then there's the "For Reservations, Dial 2" prompt.

I dial two, and get a robot. The robot can't seem to grasp that I want to change trains in New York, which tells me that they use an Atari for their computer. So I bail on that and ask to speak to a live body.I mean, all I want to do is give you guys my money, right?

So I give them my call back number because I don't want to wait on hold twenty minutes. They call back and IT'S THE ROBOT AGAIN. And when it prompts me to hit 1 to talk to a live person, I do. And it doesn't respond. Now, I'm stabbing the 1 button on my phone like one of the Manson gang, but it doesn't pick up. Finally, it hangs up on me.

By this point, it's become personal. Again I call. And this time I get a live body, a real-deal human being. Mind you, he's talking to me with all the energy of one of the damned dragging into hell, but at least he has cognitive skills.

AmTrak. Here you are wanting Congress to give you untold billions to increase your routes and improve your offerings. Before you spend one penny on rails, you should really start with your website and the people who answer the phone. Because all those gleaming new trains are going to be driving around empty if no one is able to purchase a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
USA is not very 'train-friendly', especially for New England.

We get a $49 flt to Manchester and rent a car for a week, and stay in local lodging / with locals. Done deal, very nice, very informative. VERY inexpensive (We have been doing for 30+ yrs).

Rural Switzerland is nice to see via the train. You will meet lots of retirees riding from town to town and hiking between towns. They do it every day as an adventure / healthy lifestyle. parts of southern and eastern Germany are similar in train access and use. Worth the effort to get there.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Nah, I wouldn’t bother with Amtrak if I were you, OP. They’re loud, VERY shaky (even the Acela), and more often than not, expensive (more expensive than flying). Oh, they’re also often late.

There’s a reason why not many people would ride the train in the US. Heck, even the Mega Bus is better.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:46 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Yes, the Amtrak website is a nightmare. They assume you know what each train route is called and where it goes. You then have to build your itinerary based upon each routes timetable.

I didn't mind taking Amtrak living in the NE, but the learning curve was steep.

European rail on the other hand is incredibly simple to use, much cheaper than American, and faster.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:10 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,821 times
Thumbs down Amtrak Has No Service Along Florida's East Coast

Here in Florida, Amtrak has no service along the majority of its East coast.

The following cities are NOT served, and do not even have a passenger rail station:

Port St Lucie
Ft Pierce
Vero Beach
Palm Bay
Melbourne
Titusville
New Smyrna
Daytona
Palm Coast
St Augustine

If I want to take a train from Fort Lauderdale to points North, I have to travel all the way to Tampa (on the complete opposite side of the state!) and then back East to Orlando before I start to crawl up the central part of the state as the tracks run to West Palm Beach then go WEST! to Tampa, then back East but NOT along the coast.

A true Inter-City rail line in Florida would be one that serves a lot more major cities and towns along the East coast!

Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
AmTrak. Here you are wanting Congress to give you untold billions to increase your routes and improve your offerings. Before you spend one penny on rails, you should really start with your website and the people who answer the phone. Because all those gleaming new trains are going to be driving around empty if no one is able to purchase a ticket.
I don't know if you have ever traveled by Amtrak before, but if you thought the planning/booking part of your trip was bad, just wait until you actual get on the train and see how many delays and other crazy things are going to happen, it only is going to get worse, you're in for a treat, enjoy!

Old 04-18-2021, 07:45 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I don't know if you have ever traveled by Amtrak before, but if you thought the planning/booking part of your trip was bad, just wait until you actual get on the train and see how many delays and other crazy things are going to happen, it only is going to get worse, you're in for a treat, enjoy!

Well, we're in it for the adventure. That's our outlook, anyway.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
USA is not very 'train-friendly', especially for New England.

We get a $49 flt to Manchester and rent a car for a week, and stay in local lodging / with locals. Done deal, very nice, very informative. VERY inexpensive (We have been doing for 30+ yrs).

Rural Switzerland is nice to see via the train. You will meet lots of retirees riding from town to town and hiking between towns. They do it every day as an adventure / healthy lifestyle. parts of southern and eastern Germany are similar in train access and use. Worth the effort to get there.
Which ALL involves an overseas flight, which, in his first sentence, OP said wasn't an option.

(I assume your speaking of Manchester, England rather than y an Manchester, New Hampshire. )

Old 04-18-2021, 09:11 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
At my husband's insistence, we took Amtrak from Raleigh to NYC. It was his first and LAST time insisting anything related to our travel plans.

The scenery was mostly ugly - at least what LITTLE we could see thru the incredibly dirty windows.

Thank God we took plane back home.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Maybe see if you can find an organized bus tour, they will take you to more interesting stops. SOme senior centers offer them ( all welcome) We did Amtrak once. I didn't mind it, but hubby hated it. Plus we had to get bussed part of the way, due to no rail service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel