Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:00 PM

218 posts, read 155,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
For the US, I'd probably narrow the list to "towns not on the Interstate", and I don't have many of those. I usually car-camp in the dark when traveling off the I.

Some I remember motelling at are:

DeQueen, Arkansas
Orofino, Idaho
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Ashland, Wisconsin
Nacogdoches, Texas
Kinston, North Caroline
Sturgeon Falls, Ontario
In perhaps yet another great coincidence, you and I have both stayed in Ashland, WI. And as long as we are staying off the Interstate (always a great idea), I can add the following to the places (among others) I have overnighted:

Soda Springs, ID
Taft, CA
Cedarville, CA
Burns, OR
Newcastle, WY
Dalhart, TX
Reserve, NM
Miller, SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 11:54 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,592,314 times
When I was trucking around Europe many moons ago, in France I would stay in some out of the way truck stop/restaurants, called Routiers, you could get a gourmet meal, a shower, and secure parking in the chain of Les Routiers, then I would sleep in my LHD Mercedes 18 wheeler.
I can’t remember them all, but ones that stuck out, were Dourges, Blavignac, Ceignes, and Montbéliard.
Sometimes, if staying in Ceignes, I’d drop the trailer, and drive the tractor unit into Challes-La-Montaigne, have one or two small glasses of Chablis, then drive back.
I stayed overnight in the boonies in Spain and Portugal too, but I’d find a country restaurant, eat, then park off the road somewhere, and sleep in the truck.
I had a couple of 25 litre water containers, and could brush my teeth in a mug, and heat water up for a wash and shave, plus most big factory and warehouse complexes would let you use their shower facilities, after I’d loaded, or offloaded.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:50 PM

17,555 posts, read 15,208,073 times
Heh.. I stayed in Gadsden, AL a few months ago, and am going back (Family lives there)

Now, look.. I'm in South Carolina.. But *I* have never seen anything as odd as this place. The damned BARS close at 9pm on weekends. My nephew is graduating high school next month.. Said we'd go out to eat after his graduation.. Then I had to dial it back. His graduation is set to run from 7pm to 8:30pm.. By the time he's done.. Everything will be closed!

Old 04-27-2021, 05:46 PM

6,557 posts, read 4,955,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Heh.. I stayed in Gadsden, AL a few months ago, and am going back (Family lives there)

Now, look.. I'm in South Carolina.. But *I* have never seen anything as odd as this place. The damned BARS close at 9pm on weekends. My nephew is graduating high school next month.. Said we'd go out to eat after his graduation.. Then I had to dial it back. His graduation is set to run from 7pm to 8:30pm.. By the time he's done.. Everything will be closed!
That's funny! In the 90s I drove from CT to NC. I stopped at some little dive on a back road to get gas after 1:30am. And could not believe there were what looked like 2 teenaged girls trying to by booze. He didn't sell to them due to their IDs but I can't believe booze was even available at that time of night! (it was a Friday). It was literally a shack with a couple of pumps outside and junk food and booze inside.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:00 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,589,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
In perhaps yet another great coincidence, you and I have both stayed in Ashland, WI. And as long as we are staying off the Interstate (always a great idea), I can add the following to the places (among others) I have overnighted:

Soda Springs, ID
Taft, CA
Cedarville, CA
Burns, OR
Newcastle, WY
Dalhart, TX
Reserve, NM
Miller, SD
I'll see your Taft and raise you Newcastle. Amazing. Whataare the odds that any two people in the world have slept in Karakol, Dire Dawa, Ashland, Taft and Newcastle, and then encountered each other?

I bet we both got Tucumcari NM, too, - that's just a given.

Last edited by arr430; 04-27-2021 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 06:23 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,522,157 times
I spent 16 years in the US Navy. I saw a good bit of the world. I think my country count when I got out was around 45. Never made it to Africa but saw the rest of the populated world.

I've been rolling around in an RV on and off for the last 14 years. We have been full time RVing for the last 5 years. Occasionally we will car trip and stay in cabins located in campgrounds.

Our itinerary for the last 60 months.

Solomons, MD,
Charlottesville, VA
Charlestown, WV
Louisville, KY
Nashville, TN
Vicksburg, MS
Dallas, TX
Belton, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Des Moines, IA
Lincoln, NE
Sioux Falls, SD
Presho, SD
Rapid City, SD
Cody, WY
Idaho Falls, ID
Salt Lake City, UT
Cheyene, WY
North Platte, NE
South Bend, IN
Medina, OH
Scranton, PA
Clifton, NJ
California, MD
South of the Border, SC
Mt Pleasant, SC
Jacksonville, FL
St Augustine, FL
Sorrento, FL
Sarasota, FL
Citra, FL
Panama City, FL
Biloxi, MS
Mobile, AL
Galveston, TX
Clayton, AL
Gatlinburg, TN
Solomons, MD
Clifton, NJ
Mystic, CT
Newport, RI
Boston, MA
Wells, ME
Bar Harbor, ME
Montreal
Burlington, VT
Poughkeepsie, NY
Toms River, NJ
Solomons, MD
Myrtle Beach, SC
Mt Pleasant, SC
Daytona Beach, FL
West Palm Beach, FL
Grassy Key, FL
Naples, FL
Beverley Hills, FL
Panama City Beach, FL
Theodore, AL
Livingstone, LA
Beaumont, TX
Corpus Christi, TX
Port Aransas, TX
Kingsville, TX
South Padre Island, TX
New Braunfels, TX
Kerrville, TX
Ft Stockton, TX
El Paso, TX
Las Cruces, TX
Tombstone, AZ
Goodyear, AZ
Lake Havasu, AZ
Las Vegas, NV
Kingman, AZ
Seligman, AZ
Williams, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Holbrook, AZ
Gallup, NM
Santa Fe, NM
Amarillo, TX
Lubbock, TX
Abilene, TX
Keene, TX
Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
Kingsville, TX
South Padre Island, TX
Gruene, TX
Mathis, TX
South Padre Island, TX
Kingsville, TX
New Braunfels, TX
Burleson, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Sallisaw, OK
Branson, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Joplin, MO
Manhattan, KS
Branson, MO
Hot Springs, AR
Tyler, TX
New Braunfels, TX
Kingsville, TX
South Padre Island, TX
New Braunfels, TX
Port Lavaca, TX
Kemah, TX
Scott, LA
Biloxi, MS
Lillian, AL

Heading back to Panama City Beach on Saturday.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:08 PM

218 posts, read 155,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I'll see your Taft and raise you Newcastle. Amazing. Whataare the odds that any two people in the world have slept in Karakol, Dire Dawa, Ashland, Taft and Newcastle, and then encountered each other?

I bet we both got Tucumcari NM, too, - that's just a given.
Dang it! i’ve never even been to Tucumcari. I bow to you. Uncanny, though, how our rambles have taken us to so many of the same untrammeled places. Makes me wonder, and hope even if maybe our paths have crossed in other than cyberspace.

How about Glasgow, MT? Gering, NE, Truro, NS...?

Old 04-30-2021, 12:57 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,510,822 times
My late husband and I would choose out of the norm stays for our wedding anniversary, Feb. 14th. Cedar Rapids, IA, Goshen, IN. As long as the hotel had a pool we were satisfied!

Old 04-30-2021, 08:36 PM

17,555 posts, read 15,208,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That's funny! In the 90s I drove from CT to NC. I stopped at some little dive on a back road to get gas after 1:30am. And could not believe there were what looked like 2 teenaged girls trying to by booze. He didn't sell to them due to their IDs but I can't believe booze was even available at that time of night! (it was a Friday). It was literally a shack with a couple of pumps outside and junk food and booze inside.

You should have continued on to SC.. At that time, we were still under the minibottle law.

Any drink you got had to be made from a minibottle (Airline bottles) and they had to use the entire bottle.

Personally.. I actually liked it in a way.. You always got a consistent amount of liquor in your drink. Problem was.. You couldn't get some things. short of a pitcher, long island iced tea was out of the question.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:38 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,510,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My late husband and I would choose out of the norm stays for our wedding anniversary, Feb. 14th. Cedar Rapids, IA, Goshen, IN. As long as the hotel had a pool we were satisfied!
Let me revise that; should read indoor pool.

We never made it to Goshen, IN due to a snow storm. Also, Seymour, IN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel