U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 08:04 PM

10,070 posts, read 5,549,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Why is there an Interstate freeway in Hawaii?

There's actually three: The imaginatively-named H1, H2, and H3.

They are very nice roads. But, Interstate....??
I know, it sounds weird, calling those Hawaiian roads "interstates." Remember, though, the name of the system is the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Those little interstates on Oahu connect the island's major army and naval bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Both I-96 in Michigan and I-4 in Florida are entirely in their respective states.
Maryland's got them both beat. I-97 is not only entirely within the state, it's confined within a single county!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 08:28 PM

5,260 posts, read 3,249,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I-11, especially the portion between Phoenix and the Las Vegas border. The current road US60 and US93 are largely two lanes. It is probably the only remaining road between two cities larger than a million that are not connected by interstate.

The entire road should run from Nogales, AZ to the Washington/British Columbia border.. Unfortunately, that will not happen in my lifetime.
I oppose the Interstate 11 project.

Growth should be discouraged in areas with fragile desert ecosystems. There are already too many people living in Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:31 PM

6,447 posts, read 10,477,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Why is there an Interstate freeway in Hawaii?

There's actually three: The imaginatively-named H1, H2, and H3.

They are very nice roads. But, Interstate....??
Also Alaska and Puerto Rico. All 3 pay fuel, etc taxes that fund the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...nd_Puerto_Rico

Old 05-01-2021, 09:06 PM

9,108 posts, read 5,286,178 times
The one I think we most need in Tennessee would actually only be in Tennessee for a few miles. I75 from Chattanooga through Georgia (Atlanta) is a disaster. What's needed is a complete new Interstate starting from about South Pittsburgh off I-24 running right along the Georgia/Alabama line pretty much parallel to the current I75 down through Lakeland FL and finally head over and follow US27 to Miami.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:13 PM
Status: "Clothes make the man ... poorer, that is." (set 14 days ago)

14,756 posts, read 9,035,950 times
What Is the Most Needed New Interstate In Your State?

Here in Pennsylvania the answer would appear to be "None".

Nearly forty years ago it was noted that Williamsport, Altoona and Johnstown were the only metros, even of moderate size, not served by an Interstate highway, and the redesign (and re-designation) of US Route 220 (Cumberland, MD to Willamsport and beyond) as Interstate Route 99 addresssed much of that; portions of US Routes 15, 219 and 322, which were not renumbered, but upgraded to Interstate standards, also filled in a lot of the gaps. One project I still hear floated occsionally is a spur from I-80 near Danville or Bloomsburg southward via Reading to Pottstown and a connection with the Schuylkill Expressway. But the proposed imposition of tolls on I-80 would probably put a lot of truck traffic (some of which has been containerized with a possibility of eventually going back to the rails -- at least for the line haul) back on the hilly, but better-maintained Turnpike.

In short, new, as opposed to rebuilt, highway construction in the Keystone State is approaching a saturation point.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 8,935,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I live in NC. I would like to see something from Charlotte to Raleigh
Won't happen. I-85 to I-40 isn't direct between the two but it does the job.

In SC I would like I-20 to continue onto Myrtle Beach, should have been a no-brainer when first built but wasn't for whatever reason. I Strongly Dislike driving through Aynor and Marion on US-501, speed-trap towns. I also do not driving through Florence.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:46 PM

9,750 posts, read 18,344,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida badly needs an interstate from the West coast to the East coast mid-state.

The one we have now connects Naples to Miami, and does nothing for the those of us in, or around Tampa Bay, or West Palm Beach.

I-4 angles too much. We need a straight West-East highway from just South of Tampa Bay across to Vero/Ft. Pierce.
Once you start getting much south of Orlando, you start running into the Everglades and the double whammy of increased costs of putting a road through large areas of wetlands and the modern mitigation efforts required to put that kind of thing through the wetlands and even if the route was allowed, the cost would discourage it from happening.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:37 AM

19,458 posts, read 11,120,379 times
I-84 was supposed to go from Hartford to Providence. Connecticut started building it. Rhode Island, perpetuating their economic malaise, killed it. There’s a few miles now called I-384 that dead ends.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:03 AM
sub

3,171 posts, read 1,431,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
No more interstates in the PNW, thank-you. Too many people driving too fast already.
Wholeheartedly agree for the whole nation. It's like everyone's turned into zombies with rabies.
I was going to say an interstate across the north side of Milwaukee but perhaps a narrow, winding road with numerous speed bumps U-curves would be better for that area.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:59 PM

7,604 posts, read 9,561,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I-69 runs from Texas to Michigan, including running through western Kentucky. It runs on what were 3 different parkways, entering the state at Fulton, from west Tennessee and leaving at Henderson, going into southern Indiana. Only thing holding 69 from running completely through the state is a section of the Jackson Purchase Parkway from Fulton to Mayfield that needs to be upgraded to interstate specs, plus a bridge crossing the Ohio River from Henderson to Evansville, In.
I-24 crosses west Ky. from west to east, entering at Paducah on the west and entering Tennessee near Ft. Campbell, Ky.
I was going to respond that I don't know about a new interstate, they just need to finish what they've started on I 69 in Indiana. The last and final section, section 6, from Indianapolis to Martinsville won't be complete until late 2024. For areas south of Martinsville, it's going to be a few more years of detours to go to downtown or the east side of Indianapolis.

The Illiana Corridor between the far south Chicago suburbs and southern Lake County, IN has been proposed for years. I'm not sure of the current status--lots of lawsuits involved with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel