Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 02:37 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well, except it doesn't go to Raleigh. And something a bit more direct than I85N to I40E would be nice.
A freeway along US 64 from Mocksville to Raleigh with a NC 49 spur to Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 07:08 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
When I lived in Georgia, we had an ongoing battle to build an interstate (or limited-access road of some sort) that linked Savannah with Augusta, and perhaps go further (like into SC or TN). Since the stated purpose of the interstate highways was to improve linkages between military installations, it seems weird that the Savannah area (home to bases in all five branches of the military, as well as a huge port) has no direct linkage to Augusta, which is adjacent to several other bases (including Ft. Gordon). They've done some minor improvements to roads already existent, but the drive from Savannah to Augusta needs to be much more efficient than an odd mixture of country roads.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:09 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Ohio doesn't need any new interstates, (built in anticipation of growth rates in 1950-60s) but could use much more routine maintenance.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
No more interstates in the PNW, thank-you. Too many people driving too fast already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Wholeheartedly agree for the whole nation. It's like everyone's turned into zombies with rabies.
I was going to say an interstate across the north side of Milwaukee but perhaps a narrow, winding road with numerous speed bumps U-curves would be better for that area.
Really? It is not about NIMBY reactions - it is about what is needed. Milwaukee already has several interstates. Out west, it is about 600 or more miles between the north south routes of I-5 and I-15 - you have to go from Seattle to Montana (600 miles) or Sacramento to Salt Lake City (650 miles) to hit the next Interstate going N-S. It is supposed to run through eastern Washington or Idaho, not anywhere near PNW area of Seattle. But the main focus is a lot further south. The part from Las Vegas to Reno and north to Canada are planned for later.

The really needed part is from PHX (5M) and LAS (2.7M) population centers - two very large cities that are about 300 miles apart and connected by only 2 lane roads in between. It would be like going from Seattle to Spokane or Miami to Jacksonville and only having a 2 lane road connecting. Really kills the ability of these cities to work together.

The other thing really needed is the diversions around each city, the only interstates (1 in LV, 2 in PHX) go right through the center of each. Most larger cities have interstate ring around the center, these two do not.

Last edited by ddeemo; 05-02-2021 at 11:58 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 11:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Ohio doesn't need any new interstates, (built in anticipation of growth rates in 1950-60s) but could use much more routine maintenance.

I would agree that they don't need more freeways. However, when is there ever going to be a third lane between Cincinnati and Columbus? To me that was a lot more pressing given the colume of traffic than expanding the Ohio Turnpike to three lanes in the western portion of the state.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post

The other thing really needed is the diversions around each city, the interstates go right through the center of each. Most larger cities have interstate ring around the center, these two do not.

While it is not listed as an interstate, Metro Phoenix has TWO freeways that ring around the are, each opened in the past 15 years - the 101 and the 202.

When I tossed out my 1998 Rand McNally map book and git new Arizona maps, I have grown to appreciate how well the highway system works in the Phoenix area.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I'd like to see the INterstate 5 in California properly maintained. It's the backbone spine of the state and I swear south of Sacramento I hit the same pothole I hit in my Ford Falcon, in 1969. Meanwhile, brand new (probably leased) CalTrans trucks are parked by the side of the freeway. Not sure what they do. And CalTrans spent five million removing homeless camps in remote areas no where near homes and businesses. I had to move to the second slowest lane as the "swale" of decades of long haul has the slow lane basically two ruts. But too wide for my and dad's last restoration Oldsmobile. I was "swaling" all over the lane.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Upgrade Rt 7 to an expressway from Danbury to Norwalk. It was supposed to be done in the 70s but there was litigiation, enviomentalists and NIMBY's fought. The state took bought my grandparents home for the project and they supported the highway. It's two lanes now with a number of stop lights. Read out it here.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:42 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I-84 was supposed to go from Hartford to Providence. Connecticut started building it. Rhode Island, perpetuating their economic malaise, killed it. There’s a few miles now called I-384 that dead ends.
I thought the EPA and wetlands in Rhode Island were part of what killed that original route.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Ohio needs an Interstate connecting Columbus to Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel