U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 07:53 PM

2,085 posts, read 975,585 times

Advertisements

When I was in the service, it was typical for me to drive from Lackland AFB, San Antonio to my parents house, central AL, in one day. 850 miles. Unremarkable, right? Yes....but I always made that trip after working all night. I was running on adrenaline and the excitement of going home!

Oh yeah. Gas money. I always carried a few cases of Coors beer with me. Sell that in the grocery store parking lot on a Saturday night and I made enough to cover my gas. (Circa late-1977-1979)

Thank you Smokey and the Bandit!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 03:23 AM

39 posts, read 9,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see the problem. When I was 19 I drove 18,000 miles over 2-1/2 months, hitting 44 states on a summer road trip, and many times in boring places between interesting locations drove at least 15 hours. That was in a 1964 Buick Skylark wagon, with drum brakes and no safety features like we have in the modern cars. I found it best to start out early, even still dark when fresh, and quit before it got completely dark. Even at age 67 (pre-Covid) I would drive 10 hours before stopping for the night on the way to annual vacations at Lake Tahoe.
Wow! That is an impressive number of miles per day! How are you able to take so many road trips? I am envious!

Last edited by gregory77; 05-01-2021 at 03:38 AM..

Old 05-01-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Most will have better endurance in their 20's than their 50's. I used to make 18 hour trips solo non-stop, now I wouldn't do more than 6 hours. I suppose I could do more, I just wouldn't put myself in the place where I need to. I prefer night driving for long distance but the worst times in terms of sleepiness would be at late dawn when the sun is coming up.

Ask him if he can remember the exact moment he falls asleep at night. Very few can. The neurochemistry of sleep is fascinating. GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter involved in switching off state of wakefulness and it acts abruptly. It is monitoring the levels of adenosine and melotonin and many other chemicals. It can be deferred consciously but not indefinitely. The point is if you're driving along feeling sleepy, your eyes are wanting to close, you're yawning, etc. your body could "power off" instantly at any moment. You won't get a final warning. You already ignored the warnings. You won't realize you fell asleep until you're awakened by a loud crash and you are trying to comprehend why everything is upside down in a ditch and you can't feel your legs. Or you awaken and wonder how you got into this hospital bed. If you're even lucky enough to have another moment of consciousness.
Thank-you! Interesting read OceanGaia.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not everyone is the same. Some people can handle long drives no problem and others can't. I'll tell you I saw a lot better @ night in my 20's than I do now, @ 39. Everything is blurry.

20 somethings have a lot of energy. Not everyone drives crazy fast like you did. I know many 20-somethings who are great drivers and I would not be worried about people like that. On the flipside, some young ppl do get distracted by texts and cell phones and stuff like that. How is the person you are worried about when it comes to their driving? Are they attentive?
He is a great driver and attentive; especially for his age. Maybe I have nothing to worry about... 15-hour drives for two days would make me insane at 50 though...

Last edited by gregory77; 05-01-2021 at 03:38 AM..

Old 05-01-2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Very true. When I was a youngster I could go as much as three days straight. Later, I started having trouble with ending up beyond my destination...and no recollection of how I got there. After that, more than 24 hours I would sometimes have hallucinations- There's nothing like stomping the brakes and coming to a screeching sideways halt, only to realize that the two kids you thought you saw in the highway ahead of you weren't really there at all...
3 days straight!?? Wow! How did you do it!

Old 05-01-2021, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
When I was in the service, it was typical for me to drive from Lackland AFB, San Antonio to my parents house, central AL, in one day. 850 miles. Unremarkable, right? Yes....but I always made that trip after working all night. I was running on adrenaline and the excitement of going home!

Oh yeah. Gas money. I always carried a few cases of Coors beer with me. Sell that in the grocery store parking lot on a Saturday night and I made enough to cover my gas. (Circa late-1977-1979)

Thank you Smokey and the Bandit!
Yea, I did the same while young and in the Navy- I would drive from San Diego to my home in Seattle in one shot- which I now completely think is crazy! I didn't sell beer for gas money though- great but crazy idea!

Old 05-01-2021, 03:42 AM

3,081 posts, read 1,100,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
3 days straight!?? Wow! How did you do it!
Meth?

The longest I ever stayed awake without any sleep was about 62 hours, and I was only maybe 20 years old at the time. I couldn't have gone 72 hours to save my life, unless I took some kind of upper or something (I was never a drug user, so I'm assuming - coffee is my strongest stimulant). I worked a triple one time at work during an emergency, but even then, was essentially dead on my feet, I was starting to nod off on breaks.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
15 hours a day is a lot if they are going to do multiple days in a row. It also depends on how many people are sharing the driving.

I am about to do a solo 20 hour day followed by a 8 hour day. What I do is start my long drive at 10pm after just getting up from a long nap. I do this to finish my drive during the day. I could never do it if I finished the long drive at night.
20 hours is a long drive! Safety aside, I don't enjoy it driving for more than 10 hours, I can't remember what I even saw if I drive that long. If I take my time I find that I enjoy the process a lot more, and remember the scenery and what I saw during the drive. If I take my time, I enjoy the drive more. Good luck and have fun Sam!

Old 05-01-2021, 09:21 AM

999 posts, read 350,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
20 hours is a long drive! Safety aside, I don't enjoy it driving for more than 10 hours, I can't remember what I even saw if I drive that long. If I take my time I find that I enjoy the process a lot more, and remember the scenery and what I saw during the drive. If I take my time, I enjoy the drive more. Good luck and have fun Sam!
Thank you and I will.

I am in my 50s now and have never minded doing long drives. How I do them is what has changed. I used to leave early in the morning and arrive in the middle of the night. Now I like to leave at night and arrive in the mid/late afternoon.

I also like to drive hard to get to a destination and take my time coming home. The 2 day trip going to the Oregon coast will take 4 days returning.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:28 AM

20,071 posts, read 60,534,709 times
I used to do 15 hour stretches easily. With two people and alternating driving, amazing distances get covered quickly. Age does matter. For years now, I've had a foam cot in the back of my van. It takes me a little longer, but putting on the miles is still possible with real naps as needed. I just have little need or desire to do so these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel