U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 11:06 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,206,734 times

Advertisements

Watching those old Drivers Ed movies might get their attention! Lol

https://youtu.be/2HAv1pfJqgU

https://youtu.be/dn5h-ksO63M
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Status: "My advice is worth every penny you paid for it" (set 9 days ago)

17,180 posts, read 22,357,018 times
I have driven 1800-2000 miles in a day. Glad to be tucked into my own bed rather than some sleazy motel. I can start out at 5 or 6am and go until 8 or 9 Pm. Minimizizing stops is all important.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:47 PM

5,942 posts, read 9,916,355 times
I have a kid in his 20's who goes to college FT, works FT plus OT hours and enjoys taking road trips and seeing new places.

20 somethings generally have an enormous amount of energy. When I remember what I was like at 20 something, I realize now what a jam packed on the go schedule I had back then. It would kill me now but back then it was how I rolled.

Generally, my only requirement is that he has someone else with him on those trips.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:14 AM

40 posts, read 9,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Meth?

The longest I ever stayed awake without any sleep was about 62 hours, and I was only maybe 20 years old at the time. I couldn't have gone 72 hours to save my life, unless I took some kind of upper or something (I was never a drug user, so I'm assuming - coffee is my strongest stimulant). I worked a triple one time at work during an emergency, but even then, was essentially dead on my feet, I was starting to nod off on breaks.
Wow! That is crazy! I stayed up for 76 hours once, but I was forced to once while in the military on duty... and I was a total nutzo at the end of the third day- I can't even imagine staying up that long voluntarily!

Old 05-02-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I have a kid in his 20's who goes to college FT, works FT plus OT hours and enjoys taking road trips and seeing new places.

20 somethings generally have an enormous amount of energy. When I remember what I was like at 20 something, I realize now what a jam packed on the go schedule I had back then. It would kill me now but back then it was how I rolled.

Generally, my only requirement is that he has someone else with him on those trips.
That is a good rule to have with your son SpringFildVa.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Thank you and I will.

I am in my 50s now and have never minded doing long drives. How I do them is what has changed. I used to leave early in the morning and arrive in the middle of the night. Now I like to leave at night and arrive in the mid/late afternoon.

I also like to drive hard to get to a destination and take my time coming home. The 2 day trip going to the Oregon coast will take 4 days returning.
Have fun! I hope that you get a chance to drive in the Columbia Gorge, it's an amazing drive!

Old 05-02-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Watching those old Drivers Ed movies might get their attention! Lol

https://youtu.be/2HAv1pfJqgU

https://youtu.be/dn5h-ksO63M
Yikes! Disturbing videos....

Old 05-02-2021, 06:53 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,206,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
Yikes! Disturbing videos....
That was the point, to scare the heck out of a 15-16 yo!

Old 05-02-2021, 08:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 943,103 times
Many new cars have Driver Alert sensors that monitor the car and the driver. If the driver strays from the lane (as detected by the white lines), the car emits an audible alert and corrects the driving. There are other alerts such as not changing your hand's position on the steering wheel; following too close behind another car; and other such dangerous actions. Some of the warnings are like going over a rumble bar - shake shake shake.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:28 AM
sub

3,144 posts, read 1,408,692 times
First step would be to convince 20-something's that they're not as invincible as they think they are.
Good luck with that.
Seems like there's more and more people not growing out of that mentality past their 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel