U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 03:30 AM

34 posts, read 8,354 times

Advertisements

When I was in my early 20's, I used to drive from San Diego to Seattle in one shot. I would speed like a bat out of hell and try to do it within 18 hours, and several times I almost ended up falling asleep behind the wheel and ending on the side of the road. I realized in my late 20's that this was not wise, and thankfully slowed down on my daily driving time.

I am now in my 50's and still love solo road trips (when my wife allows me), but I now limit myself to a max of 10 hours on the road for a day. I also allow myself one drive like crazy for one day as long as I take it easy the next several days. For the entire trip, I try to plan the average driving time to 7 or 8 hours a day. For example, if I drive 10 hours in one day, I will only drive 5 or 6 hours for the next few days. This allows me to speed across the boring part of the trip and take my time in the more interesting areas. My problem is how to convince a younger 20ish yo relative to do the same? They want to average driving 15 hours a day, and I am worried.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 08:24 AM

997 posts, read 347,651 times
15 hours a day is a lot if they are going to do multiple days in a row. It also depends on how many people are sharing the driving.

I am about to do a solo 20 hour day followed by a 8 hour day. What I do is start my long drive at 10pm after just getting up from a long nap. I do this to finish my drive during the day. I could never do it if I finished the long drive at night.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,834 posts, read 63,360,323 times
I don't see the problem. When I was 19 I drove 18,000 miles over 2-1/2 months, hitting 44 states on a summer road trip, and many times in boring places between interesting locations drove at least 15 hours. That was in a 1964 Buick Skylark wagon, with drum brakes and no safety features like we have in the modern cars. I found it best to start out early, even still dark when fresh, and quit before it got completely dark. Even at age 67 (pre-Covid) I would drive 10 hours before stopping for the night on the way to annual vacations at Lake Tahoe.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,722 posts, read 46,093,237 times
I paid our young drivers for an annual luncheon with our insurance agent. (Realistic war stories, (driving) situations that cost a lot of risk / $$ and lives).

State trooper can add some context, and good to network with as well.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:10 AM

16,676 posts, read 7,002,558 times
Most will have better endurance in their 20's than their 50's. I used to make 18 hour trips solo non-stop, now I wouldn't do more than 6 hours. I suppose I could do more, I just wouldn't put myself in the place where I need to. I prefer night driving for long distance but the worst times in terms of sleepiness would be at late dawn when the sun is coming up.

Ask him if he can remember the exact moment he falls asleep at night. Very few can. The neurochemistry of sleep is fascinating. GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter involved in switching off state of wakefulness and it acts abruptly. It is monitoring the levels of adenosine and melotonin and many other chemicals. It can be deferred consciously but not indefinitely. The point is if you're driving along feeling sleepy, your eyes are wanting to close, you're yawning, etc. your body could "power off" instantly at any moment. You won't get a final warning. You already ignored the warnings. You won't realize you fell asleep until you're awakened by a loud crash and you are trying to comprehend why everything is upside down in a ditch and you can't feel your legs. Or you awaken and wonder how you got into this hospital bed. If you're even lucky enough to have another moment of consciousness.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:51 AM

11,617 posts, read 15,399,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
When I was in my early 20's, I used to drive from San Diego to Seattle in one shot. I would speed like a bat out of hell and try to do it within 18 hours, and several times I almost ended up falling asleep behind the wheel and ending on the side of the road. I realized in my late 20's that this was not wise, and thankfully slowed down on my daily driving time.

I am now in my 50's and still love solo road trips (when my wife allows me), but I now limit myself to a max of 10 hours on the road for a day. I also allow myself one drive like crazy for one day as long as I take it easy the next several days. For the entire trip, I try to plan the average driving time to 7 or 8 hours a day. For example, if I drive 10 hours in one day, I will only drive 5 or 6 hours for the next few days. This allows me to speed across the boring part of the trip and take my time in the more interesting areas. My problem is how to convince a younger 20ish yo relative to do the same? They want to average driving 15 hours a day, and I am worried.
Not everyone is the same. Some people can handle long drives no problem and others can't. I'll tell you I saw a lot better @ night in my 20's than I do now, @ 39. Everything is blurry.

20 somethings have a lot of energy. Not everyone drives crazy fast like you did. I know many 20-somethings who are great drivers and I would not be worried about people like that. On the flipside, some young ppl do get distracted by texts and cell phones and stuff like that. How is the person you are worried about when it comes to their driving? Are they attentive?

Old 04-30-2021, 12:46 PM

2,616 posts, read 730,653 times
Right - depends - if it's day after day - that's hardly recommended. We're talking about about 7am -10pm here. Long.

But once in a while? I do it three times a year, occasionally alone, towing a fishing boat, and I ain't no spring chicken.

Get some coffee, stretch periodically, have the sense to stop when you're tired - and otherwise, not that much of a problem.

Years ago, I used to leave at 7PM - after work - and drive til 10AM - but eventually - one too many panic-swerves, and that was that - the days of driving all night were over. Ya gotta know your limits. 15 hours ain't much of a limit for healthy young-ish person.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:17 PM

6,582 posts, read 7,651,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Ya gotta know your limits. 15 hours ain't much of a limit for healthy young-ish person.

Very true. When I was a youngster I could go as much as three days straight. Later, I started having trouble with ending up beyond my destination...and no recollection of how I got there. After that, more than 24 hours I would sometimes have hallucinations- There's nothing like stomping the brakes and coming to a screeching sideways halt, only to realize that the two kids you thought you saw in the highway ahead of you weren't really there at all...

Old 04-30-2021, 04:44 PM

10,136 posts, read 4,925,748 times
Get there safely and attentively.
Have yet to be in a car with someone that after six hours they were still actively alert and cognizant of the road conditions and speed limit.
What an unique person to go 20 hours completely attentive. Even truck drivers have limits on haul time. They understand the human conditions.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 1,095,087 times
I attempted to go non-stop Chicago to Phoenix in my early 20's. Made it to the Great Divide, had to stop in the mountains above Albuquerque for four hours sleep to avoid driving off a cliff, then drove the rest of the way into Phoenix. I wouldn't try that again today on a bet, anything more than about five or six hours requires a catnap. God Bless young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel