U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 09:06 AM

6,455 posts, read 1,878,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I hope not. We are at the point where if you don't feel safe without a mask then wear one. If you do feel safe without one, then don't wear one.

At some point we have to be accountable for our own personal safety and stop counting on others

I hope not too. But a mask is more protection for other ppl than ourselves. It’s not a question of “feeling safe” IMO but the safety of other ppl & stopping the spread. I know that there are a lot of ppl that just don’t care tho.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 11:38 AM

6,789 posts, read 3,058,519 times
I feel like I don't even WANT to travel after the pandemic. Not because of masks though.

Because the travel industry has proven it is against the consumer in policy. I have spent months since our aborted trip in January, trying to get credit vouchers and /or refunds with no luck. Being fought and denied on every front.

I am seeing there is NO protection for travelers at all----you are on your own with unscrupulous vacation rental owners or unethical airlines that you can't even get ahold of. If they don't want to honor their own guarantees of "protection" (LOL), nothing you can do about it. Even when the Dept. of Transportation says it's the LAW:

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...%20to%20travel.

So looking forward to traveling in retirement but after all this agony and heartbreak, I'm thinking it's not worth it. Thanks, VRBO, Barclay's, Iberian Airlines.....

Old 05-06-2021, 12:56 PM

6,455 posts, read 1,878,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Because the travel industry has proven it is against the consumer in policy. I have spent months since our aborted trip in January, trying to get credit vouchers and /or refunds with no luck. Being fought and denied on every front.

I am seeing there is NO protection for travelers at all----you are on your own with unscrupulous vacation rental owners or unethical airlines that you can't even get ahold of. If they don't want to honor their own guarantees of "protection" (LOL), nothing you can do about it.

We postponed a honeymoon..(a January trip just like you)...& changed it into a destination wedding last month. We had no trouble making those changes & receiving credit. Maybe it makes a difference if you use a scrupulous hotel & credit card to make your plans or we just got super lucky. Are you still waiting to get your voucher or refund?

Old 05-08-2021, 03:23 AM

17 posts, read 13,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Extended through Sept 13.

We can't say exactly what would allow cancellation of this order. Probably some combination of rather low infection rates and near-universal vaccination.

If you haven't been done yet, be part of the solution not part of the problem.
And I heard that it will be double masking (face shields over surgical masks).

Old 05-10-2021, 02:59 PM

16,755 posts, read 7,078,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
I'm wondering when frankly it will be safe to travel internationally as most of world's countries are at Level 4 according to CDC. We recently traveled to Texas from California (El Paso and Big Bend) and felt pretty safe both on airline (SW) and on ground. Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated.

But we recently cancelled a trip to Ecuador because of the Covid level (#4). We are also contemplating whether or not to do a trip to Yucatan in June because of Covid concerns even thought almost all of family is fully vaccinated. Is the CDC warning a fair indication for saying yes or no to travel even if one is vaccinated?
We do wear masks.

I've been to Yucata 3 times since covid. I always considered it safe. CDC advisory is for the country as a whole. It's too broad to be relevant to a specific destination. Mexico is a big country.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:40 PM

2,688 posts, read 762,591 times
Level 4 according to CDC.

Sorta. The CDC doesn't set the level - the State Department does. They simply changed the levels with consideration of what the most conservative CDC policy is - which is, don't travel, anywhere, pretty much regardless of COVID level. It's a cover-all policy much like the airline masks, which are hardly doing anything (data shows this).

But it's something the gov't CAN do - so they did. But be very - very - clear before you cancel your trips: MOST of the countries on that list have less COVID than we do. You're not being asked to stay home to protect you - nope.

Think about it.

I have work trip to another nation very soon - and they're on the Level 4 list. Their COVID infections are 10% of ours. Who's taking a bigger risk here...me, or them?

Old 05-11-2021, 05:20 AM

2,171 posts, read 955,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Level 4 according to CDC.

Sorta. The CDC doesn't set the level - the State Department does. They simply changed the levels with consideration of what the most conservative CDC policy is - which is, don't travel, anywhere, pretty much regardless of COVID level. It's a cover-all policy much like the airline masks, which are hardly doing anything (data shows this).

But it's something the gov't CAN do - so they did. But be very - very - clear before you cancel your trips: MOST of the countries on that list have less COVID than we do. You're not being asked to stay home to protect you - nope.

Think about it.

I have work trip to another nation very soon - and they're on the Level 4 list. Their COVID infections are 10% of ours. Who's taking a bigger risk here...me, or them?
All of our cases here are leaks from hotel quarantine. There are currently two cases in Sydney, a man and his wife, infected from an arrival from the US. Quite a lot of people here would be happy if the closed borders were completely closed. But of course that is not practical. The government are working on borders opening properly in another year.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 AM

9,387 posts, read 4,421,888 times
We just booked three flights, starting end of May. Flying to USA to visit my Dad on east coast, then visiting wife's parents in the midwest, then going to Cabo / La Paz for a couple weeks for my wife's birthday.

I definitely feel things are turning the corner in USA, and Mexico's cases are quite low right now too. Combination of that + fully vaxed is giving us the travel itch again.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:00 PM

1,113 posts, read 618,361 times
Following on from yesterday’s federal budget, Qantas have announced they are delaying restarting international travel from October til at least December. Other than already operating flights to New Zealand.

We are surrounded by countries where the virus is surging or out of control.

Best I find local places I have not been, no good worrying about it.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:13 AM

1,988 posts, read 946,915 times
We had no travel plans at all I thought, but last weekend I received a cryptic dig in the ribs from the “enemy” at home.
For the longest time now, her breakfast order when I’ve asked her, has been two slices of toast, one with marmalade and one with peanut butter, but last Sunday she said, “Today I think that I could go for a cream cheese and lox bagel.”
Intrigued, I asked her what had brought on a desire for cream cheese and smoked salmon on a bagel?
She said, “Boris (Johnson, our Prime Minister), is mulling over a kind of Covid passport if you’ve had both jabs, you’ve had both, and my second is due at the end of May.”
Cautiously I said, “And?”
She said, “Well, if that nice Mr. Biden lets us in, I thought that maybe we could go to New York in September, although you’ll have to renew your visa, I checked your passport, and it expired over a year ago.
We could see if we can rent that apartment in Rego Park again, then we could get bagels and coffee in that diner by the 63rd Drive subway stop, THEN hop on the subway to Lex and 59th, you remember what’s there, don’t you?”
I said, “How can I forget, Bloomingdales.”
So her morning dietary change was brought on by her overwhelming desire for retail therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel