U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 04:29 AM

17 posts, read 13,544 times

Advertisements

Do you think that masks will still be required on planes and buses even after the Coronavirus pandemic is over and if so, why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 08:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,825 posts, read 46,265,722 times
Check out the flu and transmittable disease stats for the last yr.

Masks, hand and face hygiene, and social distancing can be very helpful to community health.

I was living and working in Asia during SARS and MERS. Observe their Covid stats (example = 0.5 - 5 deaths / m vs. USA 1500+ deaths / m.

I fly 100+ trips / yr.

Masks are a very minimal courtesy I can endure for a few hrs. Many HC workers wear them 12+ hours every day for a 40 yr career.

We can certainly improve on masks and on public health and caring for others. USA friends who have been stuck in China during Covid are very safe in community health and glad to have been there. Friends living in Singapore the same. Only masking in public spaces, as per several years during times of high spread and risk.

If USA citizens would exercise the responsibility of masking when ill, exposed, or at risk.... Only the few would need to mask. If, as proven, USA residents will not take that responsibility... All must mask. Too bad... Another price of the freedoms we (some) so abuse.

There are several options that can be nearly as effective as a mask for those who cannot physically tolerate facial mask. Such as a Z shield that traps aerosol near your chin. Otherwise... Every breath exhaled is spewing particles which can quickly fill a confined space.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:30 AM

2,779 posts, read 3,704,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyRhodesDiva View Post
Do you think that masks will still be required on planes and buses even after the Coronavirus pandemic is over and if so, why?
How will we know when the pandemic is "over"? Maybe one marker will be when planes and buses stop requiring masks.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:09 AM

13,066 posts, read 10,716,824 times
Quote:
I hope masks become a part of regular culture like they became in Asian countries years ago.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 6,367,423 times
Extended through Sept 13.

We can't say exactly what would allow cancellation of this order. Probably some combination of rather low infection rates and near-universal vaccination.

If you haven't been done yet, be part of the solution not part of the problem.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:23 AM

489 posts, read 258,178 times
People are going to have to follow whatever requirements the airline decides. You may be required to show proof of negative test and or vaccine. Also you may be required to wear a mask and or face shield. If you are flying international you will also have to follow the rules set by the country you are entering along with the rules of any countries you have a stopover in. Another swab test? Several days quarantine?

Your rights to infect others pretty much end when you board the plane. And with the world we live in, airlines will keep strict rules in place maybe for years. Why should they risk being sued because some moron was carrying the virus on a plane and multiple people were infected, some hospitalized, and even some dying?

Old 05-06-2021, 08:00 AM

110 posts, read 44,427 times
Default Traveling after the pandemic is over

I'm wondering when frankly it will be safe to travel internationally as most of world's countries are at Level 4 according to CDC. We recently traveled to Texas from California (El Paso and Big Bend) and felt pretty safe both on airline (SW) and on ground. Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated.

But we recently cancelled a trip to Ecuador because of the Covid level (#4). We are also contemplating whether or not to do a trip to Yucatan in June because of Covid concerns even thought almost all of family is fully vaccinated. Is the CDC warning a fair indication for saying yes or no to travel even if one is vaccinated?
We do wear masks.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:08 AM

2,779 posts, read 3,704,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
I'm wondering when frankly it will be safe to travel internationally as most of world's countries are at Level 4 according to CDC. We recently traveled to Texas from California (El Paso and Big Bend) and felt pretty safe both on airline (SW) and on ground. Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated.

But we recently cancelled a trip to Ecuador because of the Covid level (#4). We are also contemplating whether or not to do a trip to Yucatan in June because of Covid concerns even thought almost all of family is fully vaccinated. Is the CDC warning a fair indication for saying yes or no to travel even if one is vaccinated?
We do wear masks.
Who knows? Only you can decide for yourself how safe you might feel.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:13 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,912,097 times
Quote:
The pandemic isn't going to be over anytime soon... this is a 5-10 year event when you take into account International areas. We don't even conclusively know if the pandemic is over here in the US as there is a huge amount of uncertainty regarding the variants. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this isn't anywhere close to over yet so yes masks for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 AM

18,336 posts, read 23,749,615 times
I hope not. We are at the point where if you don't feel safe without a mask then wear one. If you do feel safe without one, then don't wear one.

At some point we have to be accountable for our own personal safety and stop counting on others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel