U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:17 PM

10,032 posts, read 5,523,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
Instances arose where Americans began to purposely release dynamite on planes in order to facilitate an insurance claim.
This is a major plot point in the novel Airport and the movie from which it was based.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 04:08 AM

21,186 posts, read 22,386,937 times
It does sound like you're not really that comfortable with your husbands driving and possibly with good reason.
However,

https://www.wvlaw.net/2019/09/23/car...close-to-home/
"...But in fact, most car accidents happen within 25 miles of home."

or........"According to a Progressive Insurance study published in 2004, as many as 52 percent of all nonfatal car accidents occur within five miles of a person’s home. The same study also found that a total of around 77 percent of accidents take place within 15 miles of a driver’s home."
https://www.sutliffstout.com/faqs/wh...20Attorney.%20

Old 05-05-2021, 04:49 AM

88,318 posts, read 85,910,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The probability of getting into a serious accident is highly dependent on how safely and defensively you drive.

So no, I don't really have that fear.
Many older drivers I encounter drive so slow they are a hazard on the road and either cause accidents as people try to avoid them or they end up having them because they unkowingly create dangerous situations themselves .

They lowered speed limits it 25 in nyc and already things are painfully slow but one is alway encountering those who won’t even do that and it creates all kinds of dangerous situations for all as people try to get past them.

They may be safe drivers in their mind but they are dangerous to themselves and others

Old 05-05-2021, 06:56 AM

11,474 posts, read 10,947,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Does anyone else have this? Interestingly, I do not have fear of flying.

My husband and I take a lot of road trips and I am slowly getting more and more apprehensive about our good luck on the road finally giving out. He is in his early sixties and I am in my late fifties and believe it or not, up until now we have never had anything approaching a serious accident.

Just to be clear, I wouldn’t say I have an actual phobia. I just get somewhat anxious and have started worrying more, asking myself if it is really worth the risk to drive up to 10 hours in one weekend just to get to some really cool destination for a day and a half. One reason we do this is that my husband positively enjoys driving and does 95% of it. I think that he will enjoy driving a little less after we have our first major accident.

Anyone else share similar concerns?
Very interesting. I'm 61. I've been in at least ten major car accidents as either a driver or passenger in my life. I put probably 20,000 miles a year on an automobile. My driving experience includes not only the USA, but many European countries as well.

Its never stopped me. I guess I've just always seen driving as a necessity and so despite accidents, I just try to shrug it off and keep going. I won't say its never made me anxious. Sometimes for a short time after an accident I have felt some level of anxiety. Didn't matter. Had to keep going anyway. I hate being "homebound".

Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM

7,902 posts, read 13,845,719 times
Quote:
Does anyone else have this? Interestingly, I do not have fear of flying.

My husband and I take a lot of road trips and I am slowly getting more and more apprehensive about our good luck on the road finally giving out. He is in his early sixties and I am in my late fifties and believe it or not, up until now we have never had anything approaching a serious accident.

Just to be clear, I wouldn’t say I have an actual phobia. I just get somewhat anxious and have started worrying more, asking myself if it is really worth the risk to drive up to 10 hours in one weekend just to get to some really cool destination for a day and a half. One reason we do this is that my husband positively enjoys driving and does 95% of it. I think that he will enjoy driving a little less after we have our first major accident.

Anyone else share similar concerns?
I've been feeling the same way for quite some time now. Like you its not a phobia. It's more like a complete realization that the roads are extremely dangerous, and our time runs out the more we drive on them. I have driven cross country numerous times the most recent was 2019.

To be honest my fear of driving actually developed since moving to Florida in 2015. I find this state a disgrace across the board, both in lack of a proper road system and the type driver here. Not to mention the complete lack of traffic enforcement on the roads here. It's way overdeveloped here and doesn't stop growing. There are so people here and no real infrastructure. No Public transport in the majority of the state's Metro's. Forcing all these people and tourists on the limited road system. I'd be more comfortable driving cross country, than I am within the state of Florida. I personally rather take transit but there is absolutely none available. With all the retirees and tourist here It is rather ignorant of the state to not take notice, and deal with the lack of transportation options in this state. The Federal Gov't gave Florida billions to build a high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando to South Florida. The rather foolish Politician Rick Scott gave the money back because the state didn't want a rail system. Far to many retirees on the roads that are no longer capable of driving, yet its understandable they are. They have no option to live here without the car. Add in all the commuters and tourist racing about the state. All the distribution centers along I-75 and I-4 with all the big trucks. It's a death trap driving here. It just seems like a very unsafe unplanned infrastructure for driving here. With the nonstop Lawyer adds on TV suing each other. No wonder I'm a nervous wreck driving here. As far as I'm concerning I'm having a normal reaction to a very dangerous and ignorant environment.

Believe me I can understand where your coming from concerning driving in today's America.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 568,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've been feeling the same way for quite some time now. Like you its not a phobia. It's more like a complete realization that the roads are extremely dangerous, and our time runs out the more we drive on them. I have driven cross country numerous times the most recent was 2019.

To be honest my fear of driving actually developed since moving to Florida in 2015. I find this state a disgrace across the board, both in lack of a proper road system and the type driver here. Not to mention the complete lack of traffic enforcement on the roads here. It's way overdeveloped here and doesn't stop growing. There are so people here and no real infrastructure. No Public transport in the majority of the state's Metro's. Forcing all these people and tourists on the limited road system. I'd be more comfortable driving cross country, than I am within the state of Florida. I personally rather take transit but there is absolutely none available. With all the retirees and tourist here It is rather ignorant of the state to not take notice, and deal with the lack of transportation options in this state. The Federal Gov't gave Florida billions to build a high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando to South Florida. The rather foolish Politician Rick Scott gave the money back because the state didn't want a rail system. Far to many retirees on the roads that are no longer capable of driving, yet its understandable they are. They have no option to live here without the car. Add in all the commuters and tourist racing about the state. All the distribution centers along I-75 and I-4 with all the big trucks. It's a death trap driving here. It just seems like a very unsafe unplanned infrastructure for driving here. With the nonstop Lawyer adds on TV suing each other. No wonder I'm a nervous wreck driving here. As far as I'm concerning I'm having a normal reaction to a very dangerous and ignorant environment.

Believe me I can understand where your coming from concerning driving in today's America.
I hear you. I am in Florida too. We moved from Iowa about 13 years ago. There are many reasons I love Florida, but the driving is NOT one of them. I think the very worst is in the Miami area. Hand to God, every single time we are in the area, we see at least one laughably egregious example of terrible driving.

The last time we were down there— last month, this is what we witnessed on I-95 in downtown Miami: A driver in the second from the right lane (out of 4 lanes) had essentially missed their left exit and instead of just continuing on and getting off at another exit (like a sane person would do) came to a complete stop smack in the middle of the roadway (when the ambient traffic was at about 60mph) and waited for some kind of opening so they could scoot horizontally straight across two lanes of oncoming Interstate traffic and still make the exit. Of course, they never got that much of an opening (we were stopped behind them and so got to view the drama), and wound up cutting off a semi who was already on the exit. Needless to say it was a very dangerous situation.

The time before this —- also on I-95 we saw a motorcyclist who was not only weaving in and out of heavy rush hour traffic at high speed, but doing extended wheelies (you know —- driving on the back wheel only with the front wheel way up in the air) at the same time. Honestly, I can’t believe anyone would be that stupid and irresponsible. Probably substance abuse.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:36 PM

10,032 posts, read 5,523,113 times
Quote:
I hear you. I am in Florida too. We moved from Iowa about 13 years ago. There are many reasons I love Florida, but the driving is NOT one of them. I think the very worst is in the Miami area. Hand to God, every single time we are in the area, we see at least one laughably egregious example of terrible driving.

The last time we were down there— last month, this is what we witnessed on I-95 in downtown Miami: A driver in the second from the right lane (out of 4 lanes) had essentially missed their left exit and instead of just continuing on and getting off at another exit (like a sane person would do) came to a complete stop smack in the middle of the roadway (when the ambient traffic was at about 60mph) and waited for some kind of opening so they could scoot horizontally straight across two lanes of oncoming Interstate traffic and still make the exit. Of course, they never got that much of an opening (we were stopped behind them and so got to view the drama), and wound up cutting off a semi who was already on the exit. Needless to say it was a very dangerous situation.

The time before this —- also on I-95 we saw a motorcyclist who was not only weaving in and out of heavy rush hour traffic at high speed, but doing extended wheelies (you know —- driving on the back wheel only with the front wheel way up in the air) at the same time. Honestly, I can’t believe anyone would be that stupid and irresponsible. Probably substance abuse.
I grew up in South Florida and learned to drive there. Nothing you're saying here is in the least bit surprising to me.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:27 AM

18,321 posts, read 23,718,177 times
Xanax will help

Old 05-06-2021, 10:00 AM

16,739 posts, read 7,063,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Xanax will help

Only for the passenger, please.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:50 AM
Status: "I learned so much from my mistakes I'm gonna make a few more" (set 27 days ago)

3,964 posts, read 2,260,388 times
This isn't exactly the same but similar in that I have, not a phobia, but a deep anxiety about driving in Ireland this autumn. I haven't owned a car in almost 30 years living in mass transit rich NYC & I typically just took short local trips when I drove about once a month in the 'burbs - that ended last fall.

Ireland drives on the opposite side of the road so all my immediate reflexes will be off, the roads are very narrow & twisty in the countryside where I will be driving & virtually all vehicles are standard shift. I last drove a standard car for a short time in the 1980's, it is the sum of all these factors that is driving up my anxiety level to a ridiculous degree.

I will probably pay the exorbitant extra money to rent an auto transmission for that month, most of the places I want to go I have to use a car, not mass transit. I think the last time I drove over there was the late 1980's, very nervous anticipating this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel