U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 12:25 PM

7,902 posts, read 13,845,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
This isn't exactly the same but similar in that I have, not a phobia, but a deep anxiety about driving in Ireland this autumn. I haven't owned a car in almost 30 years living in mass transit rich NYC & I typically just took short local trips when I drove about once a month in the 'burbs - that ended last fall.

Ireland drives on the opposite side of the road so all my immediate reflexes will be off, the roads are very narrow & twisty in the countryside where I will be driving & virtually all vehicles are standard shift. I last drove a standard car for a short time in the 1980's, it is the sum of all these factors that is driving up my anxiety level to a ridiculous degree.

I will probably pay the exorbitant extra money to rent an auto transmission for that month, most of the places I want to go I have to use a car, not mass transit. I think the last time I drove over there was the late 1980's, very nervous anticipating this now.
My sister was in Ireland a few years ago and had trouble with the rental car. Your right it's common to end up with a standard Transmission. They didn't have any automatics available when she arrived. She forgot how to drive a Standard.Or basically was out of practice. She Completely became disoriented on the left side of the road. She rented at Shannon airport and was driving to Cork. That's quite a distance from Shannon. She wasn't able to drive the car and brought it back after only driving a short way. Relatives had to drive up to get her. Which ended up being a blessing. If she kept the rental she would of had an accident.

If you feel a Standard might be a problem for you. Make sure your getting an automatic. Otherwise I think you will be fine. Have a Good Trip and don't worry about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,294,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Does anyone else have this? Interestingly, I do not have fear of flying.

My husband and I take a lot of road trips and I am slowly getting more and more apprehensive about our good luck on the road finally giving out. He is in his early sixties and I am in my late fifties and believe it or not, up until now we have never had anything approaching a serious accident.

Just to be clear, I wouldn’t say I have an actual phobia. I just get somewhat anxious and have started worrying more, asking myself if it is really worth the risk to drive up to 10 hours in one weekend just to get to some really cool destination for a day and a half. One reason we do this is that my husband positively enjoys driving and does 95% of it. I think that he will enjoy driving a little less after we have our first major accident.

Anyone else share similar concerns?
Jill, you're already planning for your "first major accident."

You can do a few things~

If you find yourself anxious over more and more things, then it might not be a bad idea to talk to someone about your fears. (I'm not kidding, here.) This can help you in other aspects of your life as well. There's no reason to be comforted in a smaller and smaller box.

Next thing you can do~ Since your husband likes to drive, he may enjoy a trackday school. This, you don't have to participate in. You can be his "Pit Tootsie!" (You can have some fun with it.)

Do you get uncomfortable when traversing a dam, or bridge? These are signs that your "phobia" is progressing. Truly, talk to a pro about your fears. The sooner you do, the easier it is to address.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

4,650 posts, read 2,173,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
She completely became disoriented on the left side of the road. She rented at Shannon airport and was driving to Cork. That's quite a distance from Shannon. She wasn't able to drive the car and brought it back after only driving a short way. Relatives had to drive up to get her. Which ended up being a blessing. If she kept the rental she would have had an accident.
Wow- VERY bad recipe for disaster. Jet lag plus driving on the left side when you're not accustomed to it plus standard transmission. Yes, she did the right thing.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

2,168 posts, read 951,896 times
Yes, I become anxious driving with DH. But in the city traffic, not so much long trips. He thinks he is the only good driver in the city and loves to complain about anyone not driving as he likes. He loves to change lanes, adjust the navigator, complain about the speed cameras, school zones, random breath tests and so on.

I have always preferred public transport but he much prefers to drive. I do not become as anxious when I drive, but I do limit myself. If I drive to DD’s house I have to go to places where you often go through five or six changes of lights to get across an intersection. A trip without traffic takes thirty minutes and in peak hour it can take ninety on a bad day. So I suppose I get anxious about how long it will take. Thus I usually take the train and read.

Old Today, 06:11 AM

7,688 posts, read 4,811,560 times
So my younger sister will be 41 next month and she has general anxiety, including driving her car on freeways/interstates. She wasn't always like this, and has never been in any accidents that I know of, major or minor.

I think this anxiety of hers happened in the last 7-8 years. Driving on surface streets is fine, so she can drive to the store and work and what not. She might be on a medication or two from her shrink, but I don't know if it's helping her overcome her interstate driving anxiety.

I also have two aunts, one of Dad's sisters who just turned 63 and the other my Dad's sister-in-law, who will be 80 this October and both have driven their entire lives, so many, many decades and neither have ever driven on freeways or interstates that I know of.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,171,263 times
Are you prepared for an accident? Do you have emergency supplies in the car? And are you members of AAA?

It seems that fender benders are inevitable but the more prepared you are to manage the inconvenience, the better. And remember, most accidents are inconveniences, not catastrophic events.

I wonder if your anxiety stems from your feeling that you lack control. Do you really want to drive 10 hours to spend a day and a half? Then drive 10 hours back? Most people would feel that is too far for a weekend trip. I wouldn't do it, even if my husband were young and a really careful driver and I had no anxiety. If I'm going to drive 10 hours somewhere, I'd better be staying a week.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

7,902 posts, read 13,845,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Yes, I become anxious driving with DH. But in the city traffic, not so much long trips. He thinks he is the only good driver in the city and loves to complain about anyone not driving as he likes. He loves to change lanes, adjust the navigator, complain about the speed cameras, school zones, random breath tests and so on.

I have always preferred public transport but he much prefers to drive. I do not become as anxious when I drive, but I do limit myself. If I drive to DD’s house I have to go to places where you often go through five or six changes of lights to get across an intersection. A trip without traffic takes thirty minutes and in peak hour it can take ninety on a bad day. So I suppose I get anxious about how long it will take. Thus I usually take the train and read.
I'm with you. I have always preferred Public Transport also, unfortunately the majority of Florida doesn't have any. Actually the majority of the USA has little to none, outside of the most major cities. Even some of them have barely a limited bus service.

My sisters husband behaves similar to what you describe with your DH. If she is driving he is constantly mumbling about her driving, or just complaining. I actually don't care to ride with her if he is in the car. Last time I was with them and he started acting up. She stopped the car and told him to stop it. She told me he makes her nervous. They are coming to visit me here in Florida soon, and I'm making it plain I won't tolerate his behaviour when I'm driving them around. So I can sympathize with you.

Old Today, 05:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,788 posts, read 46,216,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My sisters husband behaves similar to what you describe with your DH. If she is driving he is constantly mumbling about her driving, or just complaining. I actually don't care to ride with her if he is in the car. Last time I was with them and he started acting up. She stopped the car and told him to stop it. She told me he makes her nervous. They are coming to visit me here in Florida soon, and I'm making it plain I won't tolerate his behaviour when I'm driving them around. So I can sympathize with you.
Hang a 'mouth gag' by your mirror and show him how you will use it.

or...
instal an 'ejection' seat.

If he has to walk home a few times, it will calm him down a bit, and you won't have to listen to him while he is trying to find his way home. Might take a few days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel