U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,436 posts, read 1,960,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
I stay in a lot of hotels and rarely am I unable to set the temperature to my liking. Usually as low as it goes, usually 65 in most hotels but 62 in some.

The worst hotel stay I've had with respect to temperature was an Embassy Suites in the Palm Desert. It's a two room suite and the thermostat is in the living area. But, it has a motion sensor so as not to run constantly when there's no one in the room. This creates a large problem when sleeping because the motion sensor won't detect anyone and the A/C shuts off after about 1 hour and the room gets hot and stuffy. I was with my family of 4 in the bedroom and we needed to send someone (usually me) out to the living room to trip the motion sensor every hour.
Oof, sounds miserable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

3,195 posts, read 6,346,176 times
Thermostats that work imperfectly are pretty common in hotels. Sometimes, but not always, the problem is understanding how to operate them. Sometimes, but not always, a call to the front desk helps.

If nothing else helps, try witchcraft.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

16,704 posts, read 7,027,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I did, once I figured out there was no warm air blowing. I called for maintenance after 4 hours of it being off with not much change. Then, when the dude didn't fix it, I left it off the rest of the evening, about 7 hours. Still very chilly.

I will be sure to pack a cheap room thermometer for next time -- not to mention a pair of my winter sweats. This is May in central FL, by the way, so temps are pretty high at the moment. I'm so grateful I packed a pair of Christmas jammy pants and some warm socks; otherwise, I would have only my shorts and flip flops.

It cools even when off? You've discovered the solution to lower electricity bills! What is the outside temp? Either there is little temperature differential, your room is insulated like a thermos, or there is another cooling source. How about turning on the heat?

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,946,724 times
I work for a 'well reputable brand'.

Correct rooms are individual control . To an extent.
Mainframe system takes over if uncle Joe is trying to.get a sauna in the room at 85 or 90 degrees. Or tries to freeze a body he is storing til he leaves. Usually the system over rides when a person attempts 62 degree on a .c.

Mostly our systems are panel user friendly. Some folks though are challenged when it's flashing 'heat' or ac. We usually have to turn it back off . Time it to reset in five minutes to stabilize to the temp the guest wants.

So yes to an extent a hotel ' can over ride the guests input. When it's unreasonable. If it's malfunctioning though, certainly address it so it can be repaired. Waiting til you leave or opting to just complain is discouraged.

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I work for a 'well reputable brand'.

Correct rooms are individual control . To an extent.
Mainframe system takes over if uncle Joe is trying to.get a sauna in the room at 85 or 90 degrees. Or tries to freeze a body he is storing til he leaves. Usually the system over rides when a person attempts 62 degree on a .c.

Mostly our systems are panel user friendly. Some folks though are challenged when it's flashing 'heat' or ac. We usually have to turn it back off . Time it to reset in five minutes to stabilize to the temp the guest wants.

So yes to an extent a hotel ' can over ride the guests input. When it's unreasonable. If it's malfunctioning though, certainly address it so it can be repaired. Waiting til you leave or opting to just complain is discouraged.
Thanks for the note -- that's what I thought, too, that extreme temps would be controlled but the "normal" range should be okay. I've had it turned off since 6pm last night, and the temp is good, so I'll report it again when I check out tomorrow.

The panel is definitely user friendly...only 3 buttons, so you'd have to be pretty dense not to understand how it works. It's an older property, but it's pretty clean and mostly quiet, even though there was a screamer in the atrium this morning who apparently did not enjoy her full breakfast.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

13,319 posts, read 8,643,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
My hotel room is freezing. I set the thermostat to 64 overnight (great sleeping temp!) and then bumped it up to 72 this morning. It hasn't warmed up all day; the blower just blows cool air. Called the front desk, they sent someone up. He took the panel off and fiddled around for less than a minute, then declared it fixed. He bumped the thermostat up to 77 and told me if it got too warm to adjust back to 72 until I was comfortable.

Nothing has changed. Still blowing cool air. I opened the panel myself (he left the screws loose) and there's so much dust on everything (except the filter) that I know he didn't touch a thing in there.

I'm here for another 2 days. Should I request another maintenance call, or do I put up with it? For what it's worth, I'm actually working in the room, so I'm stuck here the entire length of my stay.

Is this some kind of energy conservation/cost savings restriction?

They might have turned heat to building off. So all you are getting is recirculated, our outside air.

This was always an issue in Fall and Spring when I traveled

Old Today, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They might have turned heat to building off. So all you are getting is recirculated, our outside air.

This was always an issue in Fall and Spring when I traveled
You may be correct; if that was the case, however, why wouldn't they just SAY that? Anyway, last night I set the temp at 72 and it blew recirculated air. Bumped it down to 68, same result, so something definitely wasn't working. I let them know when I checked out this morning. Now, I get to deal with 78 degrees in my dad's house for a month. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel