U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:13 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,495 posts, read 2,048,129 times

Advertisements

My hotel room is freezing. I set the thermostat to 64 overnight (great sleeping temp!) and then bumped it up to 72 this morning. It hasn't warmed up all day; the blower just blows cool air. Called the front desk, they sent someone up. He took the panel off and fiddled around for less than a minute, then declared it fixed. He bumped the thermostat up to 77 and told me if it got too warm to adjust back to 72 until I was comfortable.

Nothing has changed. Still blowing cool air. I opened the panel myself (he left the screws loose) and there's so much dust on everything (except the filter) that I know he didn't touch a thing in there.

I'm here for another 2 days. Should I request another maintenance call, or do I put up with it? For what it's worth, I'm actually working in the room, so I'm stuck here the entire length of my stay.

Is this some kind of energy conservation/cost savings restriction?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 06:00 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,410,536 times
Many hotels have some type of restriction or have thermostats that are difficult to use/control.

If nothing's changed after it being serviced, ask for another room.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:55 AM

3,623 posts, read 4,730,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
My hotel room is freezing. I set the thermostat to 64 overnight (great sleeping temp!) and then bumped it up to 72 this morning. It hasn't warmed up all day; the blower just blows cool air. Called the front desk, they sent someone up. He took the panel off and fiddled around for less than a minute, then declared it fixed. He bumped the thermostat up to 77 and told me if it got too warm to adjust back to 72 until I was comfortable.

Nothing has changed. Still blowing cool air. I opened the panel myself (he left the screws loose) and there's so much dust on everything (except the filter) that I know he didn't touch a thing in there.

I'm here for another 2 days. Should I request another maintenance call, or do I put up with it? For what it's worth, I'm actually working in the room, so I'm stuck here the entire length of my stay.

Is this some kind of energy conservation/cost savings restriction?
We have had rooms before where the units were either way to noisy or had issues like you have. We can live with just an overnight but if we are staying multiple days I would request a fix or switch rooms.

On another note about temperature, when traveling in Europe we occasionally stayed at places where they require you to put your room key in a card reader on the wall to operate the thermostat. We always get two cards so no problems but as soon as you remove the key the heating or cooling shuts off.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:08 AM

3,593 posts, read 2,495,714 times
I've never noticed much relationship between hotel room thermostat settings and reality, except, oddly, for the in wall units under the windows in the cheap hotels I often stay in when I'm paying.

Some older hotels with central heating and cooling plants have an additional problem. If they have what are sometimes called single pipe systems, the whole building will be set for either heating or cooling. This is because the heating/cooling fluid is water, and with single pipes, they can only circulate one at a time. So in transition seasons (I notice it mostly in spring) you may not be able to get AC on a hot day until they change it over. Hopefully there's not many of these left. I remember some years ago (decades?) staying in an upscale Manhattan hotel with the window open all night to get some cooler air in the room...and noise.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:28 AM

14,336 posts, read 8,597,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Some older hotels with central heating and cooling plants have an additional problem. If they have what are sometimes called single pipe systems, the whole building will be set for either heating or cooling. This is because the heating/cooling fluid is water, and with single pipes, they can only circulate one at a time. So in transition seasons (I notice it mostly in spring) you may not be able to get AC on a hot day until they change it over. Hopefully there's not many of these left. I remember some years ago (decades?) staying in an upscale Manhattan hotel with the window open all night to get some cooler air in the room...and noise.
I was thinking this same thing. I used to work in a Manhattan office with this type of system. There was usually a few weeks in the spring when building management thought it was warm enough outside to switch from heating to cooling, and then we'd get a late winter snap and the offices would be freezing. The opposite would happen in the fall when they switched over to heat and then we'd get hit with Indian Summer. The worst!

Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 AM

Thank you all for at least confirming I'm not crazy! I'm in a 2-room suite (Embassy Suites), so I left the HVAC off entirely last night and closed the door between the rooms. Now, the bedroom is warm/stuffy (but comfortable) and the living room is cool, so I'm going to go with that and focus on work.

I considered changing rooms, but I fully unpacked the moment I arrived, and I'm not ready to throw it all together again.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:57 AM

14,336 posts, read 8,597,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I considered changing rooms, but I fully unpacked the moment I arrived, and I'm not ready to throw it all together again.
I always unpack upon arrival for any stay more than 3 days, but that's definitely the downside of unpacking. I will say that if you still want to consider moving rooms, I've found it's easiest to get a luggage cart to minimize the amount of packing you need to do. You basically just stack everything at the bottom and keep your clothes hanging up on the bar (just be kind and take the empty hangers from the new room down to the old room).

Old 05-05-2021, 10:53 AM

17,736 posts, read 7,664,495 times
64?!?!?! You froze it, lol.

How about... just turning it off?

Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM

808 posts, read 514,163 times
I stay in a lot of hotels and rarely am I unable to set the temperature to my liking. Usually as low as it goes, usually 65 in most hotels but 62 in some.

The worst hotel stay I've had with respect to temperature was an Embassy Suites in the Palm Desert. It's a two room suite and the thermostat is in the living area. But, it has a motion sensor so as not to run constantly when there's no one in the room. This creates a large problem when sleeping because the motion sensor won't detect anyone and the A/C shuts off after about 1 hour and the room gets hot and stuffy. I was with my family of 4 in the bedroom and we needed to send someone (usually me) out to the living room to trip the motion sensor every hour.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
64?!?!?! You froze it, lol.

How about... just turning it off?
I did, once I figured out there was no warm air blowing. I called for maintenance after 4 hours of it being off with not much change. Then, when the dude didn't fix it, I left it off the rest of the evening, about 7 hours. Still very chilly.

I will be sure to pack a cheap room thermometer for next time -- not to mention a pair of my winter sweats. This is May in central FL, by the way, so temps are pretty high at the moment. I'm so grateful I packed a pair of Christmas jammy pants and some warm socks; otherwise, I would have only my shorts and flip flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel