U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 05-06-2021, 08:11 AM
Location: Sputnik Planitia
7,221 posts, read 10,128,773 times
Reputation: 8058


Any long term travelers stayed as a tourist in the Schengen area past the limit of 90 days? What strategy did you use to do this? Does Schengen have any way to extend the period?

I know one can leave and enter after a 90 day absence but now with Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania looking to join the Schengen the choices of other European countries to enter/exit are dwindling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 09:21 AM
Location: Niceville, FL
10,601 posts, read 18,958,163 times
Reputation: 12779
There are a few countries that have one year long term stay visas but it can require a fair amount of paperwork and proof of enough assets that it doesn't look like you'll try to work illegally while you're there-

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2021, 11:13 PM
Location: Chemnitz, Germany previous in AZ, CA, AL, NJ,
3,685 posts, read 8,921,236 times
Reputation: 7243
The Schengen 90 day rule means a tourist can stay for a total of 90 days within a 180 period. You can split up the 90 days in and out of the Schengen zone in multiple visits within a 180 day period. You can't stay 90 days in the Schengen zone, leave the Schengen for a few days, and start the clock again within Schengen for another 90 day stay.

In Germany, I am retired and obtained a non-employment residence permit without much difficulty. I had to establish a residence address (lease agreement of a furnished apartment), show proof of good retirement income, buy private health insurance coverage (from BDAE insurance @ 150 Euro per month), register with the city as a resident and then apply for a residence permit. I also have a local bank account here and an Amazon credit card in Germany. I speak German, so I could fill out the forms for the residence permit and complete the interview for the residence permit application. It would not be so easy if someone did not speak German, unless an interpreter was hired.

I'm returning to the US in the fall, which will end my 12 month stay. It would be a hassle to stay longer, because then I would have to buy a more comprehensive health insurance instead of an emergency type plan, and I would have to buy long-term care insurance. I would also get into tax filing issues if I stayed longer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top