U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 01:25 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,180,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Is Iran the only country you have been in, that requires women to cover body parts in public?
I love, Iran, also. I went there for 17 days in 2014, and out of all the countries I've visited, it had by FAR the friendliest people. At that time, the people there loved Americans and I swear we were treated like rock stars. Many Iranians speak excellent English and when they would hear us talking, would come over to chat. "How do like Iran? How is the food? Are we taking good care of you?" They were so welcoming it was amazing. Americans need a licensed tour guide, so I went through a company that has been going there for many years, who arranged our visas through the Jordanian Embassy, etc.

Contrary to the one comment, Iranian women do NOT have to wear "loose" clothing; they just need to wear a top that covers their butt. I saw MANY women in all parts of the country wearing leggings and high heels, but with a tunic top. The young women wear their hijab as far back on their head as possible, with their hair tucked in.

The sights there were so amazing that having to wear a long top and a scarf over my head (like a lot of American women do on a windy day) was a TINY inconvenience to bear in exchange for an incredible experience.

There are three countries I've visited that would love to return to, and Iran is #1 on the list. But I probably never will, as there are too many places to visit that I haven't been to yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 03:04 PM

3,523 posts, read 1,584,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's certainly not the only country that requires women to cover, but it is the only one your specifically mentioned.

And just because other countries do it, that doesn't make it any more respectful. Any country that requires me to cover up before I even get off the plane is not one I consider to be a "country where people treat each other with respect and dignity."
Showing respect is appropriate in other cultures.

The Vatican and most churches in Italy (and some in France) require that men and women be dressed "respectfully". No shorts, bare midriffs, knees showing, uncovered shoulders, see through clothes, etc.

I respected their customs and dressed appropriately when I've visited the Vatican and other churches.

I remove my shoes when visiting Japanese temples.

Hindu temples have the same general dress requirements as churches: no uncovered shoulders, no revealing clothes, knees covered. I comply.
Attached Thumbnails
Countries/Places you love that many people are Down on-no_skimpy_clothes.jpg  

Old 05-08-2021, 04:22 PM

19,619 posts, read 11,931,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I love, Iran, also. I went there for 17 days in 2014, and out of all the countries I've visited, it had by FAR the friendliest people. At that time, the people there loved Americans and I swear we were treated like rock stars. Many Iranians speak excellent English and when they would hear us talking, would come over to chat. "How do like Iran? How is the food? Are we taking good care of you?" They were so welcoming it was amazing. Americans need a licensed tour guide, so I went through a company that has been going there for many years, who arranged our visas through the Jordanian Embassy, etc.

Contrary to the one comment, Iranian women do NOT have to wear "loose" clothing; they just need to wear a top that covers their butt. I saw MANY women in all parts of the country wearing leggings and high heels, but with a tunic top. The young women wear their hijab as far back on their head as possible, with their hair tucked in.

The sights there were so amazing that having to wear a long top and a scarf over my head (like a lot of American women do on a windy day) was a TINY inconvenience to bear in exchange for an incredible experience.

There are three countries I've visited that would love to return to, and Iran is #1 on the list. But I probably never will, as there are too many places to visit that I haven't been to yet.
In this video, you will see how officials painted American and Israeli flags on the sidewalk for people to walk and and the great majority of people would not do so.
It seems there are two entities - the government and the people.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-51084619

Old 05-08-2021, 07:37 PM

14,360 posts, read 8,603,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Showing respect is appropriate in other cultures.

The Vatican and most churches in Italy (and some in France) require that men and women be dressed "respectfully". No shorts, bare midriffs, knees showing, uncovered shoulders, see through clothes, etc.

I respected their customs and dressed appropriately when I've visited the Vatican and other churches.

I remove my shoes when visiting Japanese temples.

Hindu temples have the same general dress requirements as churches: no uncovered shoulders, no revealing clothes, knees covered. I comply.
There's a bit of a difference between expecting modesty inside a church and requiring cover throughout an entire country. I also don't think priests at the Vatican would fine, detain, imprison (or worse) anyone who didn't dress appropriately. And dress is only a part of the issue. The way women are regarded and treated in general isn't exactly respectful.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:50 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,143,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I'd love to get a rail pass for Netherlands-France-Spain-Portugal and get on/off and visit towns as I felt like it. But the airplane to get there ugh. We visited parts of Italy and England by train and car in earlier days, some parts with friends, but doing it alone would be even better IMO, not sure spouse would be interested but he'd come anyway to make sure I was safe lol.

Are Americans negative about France? Hadn't heard that, where does this sentiment appear? I can make an effort to speak a little French but poor hearing would put me at a bad place at understanding the answers, pretty much like being in US wearing a mask and trying to decipher what is being said.
On social media sites and certain discussion boards(i.e. Reddit, Twitter), yes I have seen some anti-France sentiment. That said I don't judge France either positively or negatively myself, as I've never been there. I hope if I do visit France someday, that I enjoy going there more than some of the online sentiment I hear about that place. And that maybe for all I know, some of those people overblow those things(whatever they were) they didn't like about France?

Speaking of this topic(although this was before this place had a surge in violence from drug cartels in the mid-2000s I think, hopefully that isn't a bad issue here anymore), years ago myself and others in a church group who did a workcamp just south of the US/Mexico border(near El Paso and Ciudad Juarez) did stop at a flea market in Ciudad Juarez. I REALLY did greatly like this flea market we went to, and I hope it's still open today. Since I'd LOVE to go back there, myself! Of course, who knows if I'll ever get back to Ciudad Juarez again(sigh)?

Gary, IN always seems to get ripped on a lot(and I greatly understand those reasons why), but if you're into urban exploration and take precautions(as you'd always do going into ANY abandoned building), it's a REALLY great place to visit just for that aspect. The Miller area actually isn't bad, and I'll give the city of Gary credit that they did spend the money to restore a park fieldhouse, right near the Lake Michigan lakefront in Marquette Park. And 18th Street Brewery's Gary taproom I got to admit(for whatever reason) I like a little more even to this day, vs. their newer one in Hammond.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:29 AM

4,003 posts, read 7,205,968 times
I wouldn't necessarily say down on, but I love traveling to Poland and most people cannot understand why I would go there. I love it (have been 5 times in last 4 years)

Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 AM

17,466 posts, read 23,141,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's a bit of a difference between expecting modesty inside a church and requiring cover throughout an entire country. I also don't think priests at the Vatican would fine, detain, imprison (or worse) anyone who didn't dress appropriately. And dress is only a part of the issue. The way women are regarded and treated in general isn't exactly respectful.
Bingo. Im sorry I can't rep you again.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,012 times
# 1 country for me is Colombia. Specifically the city of Bogota. People are so friendly and they enjoy life. 2nd would probably be Canada. We live in Germany for many years and if not for the language barrier it would rate high as well. Been to France. Not a fan. Treated poorly. Panama would rank up there with Colombia. Ecuador was okay but not our dream country.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:51 AM

8,996 posts, read 5,311,033 times
I've come to call the Yucatan my second home. I am studied in Mexican culture and history and always felt an affinity.

I don't know how the peninsula's culture differs from other parts of Mexico but I notice that generally there is a life-affirming, family-oriented attitude, generosity of spirit and a subtle recognition of other peoples' emotional state.

Besides its natural beauty I enjoy being in the cultural atmosphere and find it positive. A good people with some serious current problems of ecology and leadership.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:05 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,688,684 times
Ciudad Juarez was not bad whatsoever. Felt much better than its image and past reputation. I think its a big plus if you live in El Paso to cross the border for dinner, lunch etc. I would get a Sentri card for sure, those lines are no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel