U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 05:53 PM

17,804 posts, read 18,504,662 times

Advertisements

I enjoy visiting London and years ago (not sure about now, after the recent changes by the CCP) I enjoyed Hong Kong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 11:02 PM

65 posts, read 31,870 times
Another vote for France and, by extension French people. For some reason, Americans tend to have this misconception that the French are unfriendly, will treat you rudely if you can't speak French perfectly, and so on. In several visits to France (including to Paris) and in meeting French people in other countries, nothing could be further from the truth. I have had nothing but happy, pleasant experiences with the French. And, no, I do not speak French fluently. Rather, my French is atrocious. My efforts have always been patiently and graciously received.

In the spirit of the post, two other places come to mind: Russia and nations in the Arab world.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:22 AM

1,608 posts, read 986,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's certainly not the only country that requires women to cover, but it is the only one your specifically mentioned.

And just because other countries do it, that doesn't make it any more respectful. Any country that requires me to cover up before I even get off the plane is not one I consider to be a "country where people treat each other with respect and dignity."
I agree respect & dignity are needed more.

However, we can't be respected or dignified with so-called artists making videos or music describing wet ___you know what's. The freedom to do or say anything for entertainment has made more people questioning if they are living in hell. A society with less and less rules being followed, disrespect for one another and spreading lies is a society approaching chaos.

I am not sure but if both women and men are required to cover up in public there is nothing wrong with that. It is the culture and country they grew up in. If you don't like a custom/culture simply don't travel there.

We need to be careful of negative knee jerk reactions or the tendency to come off as an arrogant narcissist towards those citizens. Their leaders accept tradition and sometimes spread misinformation just ours currently do.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:26 AM

13,761 posts, read 18,733,111 times
I'll add another France to the list. As long as you try in good faith to say basics and "I'm sorry, do you speak English?" in French, people are quite kind and understanding. My French isn't very good, but I tried and didn't have trouble switching to English or Spanish when needed in most cases. I traveled with my best friend who had a bit of an attitude about not speaking French (most notably saying "Mercy" instead of "Merci") and she perceived others are rude.

I really love Mexico City, Oaxaca, and Chiapas. There's very little appealing about the coastal resort towns or the tourists who flood them, but the internal cities are full of culture, incredible people, talented artisans, and amazing food.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 15,776,075 times
My fave country is Vietnam. So beautiful & diverse, amazing food, so cheap, easy to get around, great & welcoming people.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 15,776,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love NJ! Beautiful state. My family spent summers at Spring Lake NJ. Beautiful place. NOTHING like that stupid Jersey Shore show. Very low key and upscale.

I agree that NJ gets a bad rap. I grew up on Long Island and except for the Hamptons, people make fun to LI too, and assume that everyone has a horrible accent, and conducts their lives like Amy Fisher and Joey Buttafuco. I grew up in Oyster Bay on the North Shore - it's another world.
I'm an LI native as well & still here ... I also love NJ.

And yeah, where I live is ghetto (Freeport-like) so my life is anything BUT Hamptons.

We're not all rich, entitled japs ... some of us have to rough it a bit and get through life on our own, no money from daddy.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:13 PM

4,814 posts, read 1,630,786 times
Hated France. I was a jerk right back to them when I lived in LA and Parisians were all over the place, lost, getting in my face.

Loved the UK and Switzerland, but I don't think those countries get a lot of hate. I found the UK to be incredibly friendly, and people were as interested to talk to us (Americans) as we them.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:57 PM

584 posts, read 190,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My fave country is Vietnam. So beautiful & diverse, amazing food, so cheap, easy to get around, great & welcoming people.
I'd like to visit there.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:19 PM

7,319 posts, read 6,230,993 times
Somaliland, a "country" most people don't even know exists. Really welcoming, I spent a week in Hargeisa and Berbera.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:44 AM

1,232 posts, read 517,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Somaliland, a "country" most people don't even know exists. Really welcoming, I spent a week in Hargeisa and Berbera.
Yes. Desperatejy poor but happy and intensely proud of the way they make their country work. They are not diplomatically bound to do anything according to global or superpower demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel