U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM

3,425 posts, read 2,086,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Colombia is by far my favorite Latin American -- the one Latin country that is inward-looking and proud of its Latin-American-ness.
What does that even mean? Are Chileans, Uruguayans, etc not proud of their heritage?

Quote:
Iran may be my favorite country in the world. A country where people treat each other with respect and dignity.
Seriously? The country where they executed Mahmoud Asgari, Ayaz Marhoni and Navid Afkari? That treating each other with respect and dignity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Contrary to the one comment, Iranian women do NOT have to wear "loose" clothing; they just need to wear a top that covers their butt. I saw MANY women in all parts of the country wearing leggings and high heels, but with a tunic top. The young women wear their hijab as far back on their head as possible, with their hair tucked in..
That is simply not accurate. You can find story after story about women being beaten by the "morality police" in Iran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not sure it's just France that people are down about, but Paris. I've been to France 13 times...so I guess I must like it
I feel the same. Been to Provence, the Rhone-Alps, Normandy, Brittany and Aquitaine quite a few times and absolutely love the people and have always been very well received and treated well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I am not sure but if both women and men are required to cover up in public there is nothing wrong with that. It is the culture and country they grew up in. If you don't like a custom/culture simply don't travel there.
It is recent culture, only since the fall of the Shah. The women in Tehran in the early 1970's looked like they were in Paris in high couture; nary a hijab or burka to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My fave country is Vietnam. So beautiful & diverse, amazing food, so cheap, easy to get around, great & welcoming people.
I don't know many people who are down on Vietnam, it just isn't well known or talked about a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 04:40 AM

1,229 posts, read 516,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
What does that even mean? Are Chileans, Uruguayans, etc not proud of their heritage?

Seriously? The country where they executed Mahmoud Asgari, Ayaz Marhoni and Navid Afkari? That treating each other with respect and dignity?

That is simply not accurate. You can find story after story about women being beaten by the "morality police" in Iran.
Colombians are proud that they are Latin Americans, and do not "look up" to other nations as their model to emulate.

Texas alone has executed 52 people in 5 years. Want me to name them? The first two you named were probably executed illegally, in violation of several humanitarian Iranian laws to protect them.

Half of all American women report that they have been sexually molested by American men..

Last edited by arr430; 05-14-2021 at 04:51 AM..

Old 05-17-2021, 10:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,196,562 times
Ukraine is a great place to visit. I'm glad it's not super touristy because it means low crowds and no busloads of idiotic tourists.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:04 PM

15,413 posts, read 26,646,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Ciudad Juarez was not bad whatsoever. Felt much better than its image and past reputation. I think its a big plus if you live in El Paso to cross the border for dinner, lunch etc. I would get a Sentri card for sure, those lines are no joke.
Never had problem in Juarez except the one time I rented a car and drove over there. The driverw there made Boston drivers seem quite tame.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 PM

Africa should be mentioned. I loved bumming around in Africa, although most people wouldn't even go there on a free 5-star trip. In the 70s there was no Lonely Planet, the only travel guide was the Michelin maps, you just prayed they were accurate, and they always were. Was there again 5 years ago, Africa hasn't changed much in a half century.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM

4,072 posts, read 2,354,525 times
Quote:
...... In the 70s there was no Lonely Planet, the only travel guide was the Michelin maps, you just prayed they were accurate, and they always were. Was there again 5 years ago, Africa hasn't changed much in a half century.
When I first hit the road for an extended time & still a teen at the dawn of the 70's, I used Arthur Frommer's "Europe on $5/Day" as my bible. Michelin was way above my budget & hippie mindset. "...$5/Day" clued Americans on to small European 1-2 star hotels for probably the first time & not the well known chains. More pertinent to me was the revelation of hostels which were virtually unknown in the US.

I was on the road at the same time the couple who eventually started the Lonely Planet books later were. They started out from Australia, the other end of the trail, & started mimeographing "SE Asia on a Shoestring" for us... obviously much smarter than me.

The place that I loved most back then that most people, including me, wouldn't have given a second thought about was Yugoslavia - it floored me. Specifically what is now Croatia, really lovely, regretfully I have never returned & hear has become mobbed after Game of Thrones series.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:02 PM

9,781 posts, read 4,656,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I was on the road at the same time the couple who eventually started the Lonely Planet books later were.
We used to use those, especially in SE Asia. Usually used Moon in Latin America, and sometimes Rough Guide. Longer trips we'd try to make them more transportable by tearing out sections we knew we wouldn't use, since would have 4-5.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:08 PM

58 posts, read 35,967 times
Quote:
I love France. French people are so, well, French. Which is a thing in itself that everyone fits.

Colombia is by far my favorite Latin American -- the one Latin country that is inward-looking and proud of its Latin-American-ness.

Iran may be my favorite country in the world. A country where people treat each other with respect and dignity.
I like Colombia too! I only had time to scratch the surface there but I would absolutely go back.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We used to use those, especially in SE Asia. Usually used Moon in Latin America, and sometimes Rough Guide. Longer trips we'd try to make them more transportable by tearing out sections we knew we wouldn't use, since would have 4-5.

The best of the ilk was the South American Handbook, ca.1990. Fine print, thin paper. But even then, by that time, no budget guidebook is really necessary. Even Europe in the 60s, you could just stay at the Post Hotel across the street from the train station, and still stay under Fodor's $5/day. In '68, I crossed North Africa from Tripoli to Casablanca with nu guidebook at all. I tried to wean myself of them, buy LP China was pretty essential off the beaten track in 1995. Nobody knew English anywhere. You hadd to point to the characters in the guidebook and hope that bystanders put you on the right bus.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:49 PM

3,938 posts, read 2,128,596 times
The US in general away from the biggest cities, the touristy smaller cities (New Orleans, Charleston SC), and the national parks. It's expensive to travel internationally and now all the borders are closed, so this is what I do.

I've had a great time road-tripping across eastern Washington, eastern Oregon, and Idaho with friends, and found interesting things to do ahead of time in many of the cities and towns out there --- from the Redmond Caves in Redmond, OR to the Eocene fossil beds in Republic, WA where you can keep the fossils you dig up. And they've had a great time too, and have told me they never would have thought to visit those areas and now want to organize their own road trips.

Two weeks from now, my partner and I will be road-tripping across rural Illinois, and we have a huge itinerary of things to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel