Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 03:29 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,828,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

Are Americans negative about France? Hadn't heard that, where does this sentiment appear?
Freedom fries.

Beyond that, France is sort of 'off the radar' of the average American enough to avoid all that much negativity, but seek the average American's opinion of France and you'll probably get some negative stereotypes of French people thrown back at you--weak, effete, arrogant, etc. I've heard it on and off throughout my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 06:26 PM

16,343 posts, read 12,311,258 times
Freedom fries are nearly 20 years old. And I bet most people don't even remember why they came about.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:33 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
Ohio - it's a very pleasant, naturally beautiful and affordable place to live. I am tired of unwarranted negative comments and snide innuendos about the state.

Most Eastern European countries are the butt of jokes, and are depicted as backwards and just not worth visiting. Having been to several, nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:46 PM

374 posts, read 251,598 times
Honestly a lot of typical American 'flyover' country is rife with small, quaint little towns and loads of nice scenery if you know where to look. Lot of interesting history too and generally speaking are much more affordable, even in the bigger cities.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:12 PM

11,916 posts, read 8,244,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Honestly a lot of typical American 'flyover' country is rife with small, quaint little towns and loads of nice scenery if you know where to look. Lot of interesting history too and generally speaking are much more affordable, even in the bigger cities.
Shhh, don't tell!

Old 05-10-2021, 12:53 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,256,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I love France. French people are so, well, French. Which is a thing in itself that everyone fits.

Colombia is by far my favorite Latin American -- the one Latin country that is inward-looking and proud of its Latin-American-ness.

Iran may be my favorite country in the world. A country where people treat each other with respect and dignity.
Oklahoma,Arkansas, New Mexico,Abilene/Angelo/Lubbock/Waco and El Paso in Texas and Texas in general

Old 05-10-2021, 12:55 AM

374 posts, read 251,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Oklahoma,Arkansas, New Mexico,Abilene/Angelo/Lubbock/Waco and El Paso in Texas and Texas in general

Honestly people talk smack about Oklahoma a lot and while our state government is a national embarrassment there's a lot of really cool stuff to see and do here and I feel like a lot of the people who do trash talk the southern plains have never actually been there.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:40 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,526,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Honestly people talk smack about Oklahoma a lot and while our state government is a national embarrassment there's a lot of really cool stuff to see and do here and I feel like a lot of the people who do trash talk the southern plains have never actually been there.

Right, Oklahoma is a well-kept secret. I pretty much stay off the main roads, and it's always a delight to drive across Oklahoma. Not spectacular scenery, but always interesting. Don't fail to notice the scissor-tailed flycatchers on every wire in summer.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:44 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,272,108 times
China. We have been there together three times and DH has been there on golf tours a couple of times without me. Our last trip was for a month and we just love travelling there. We find the people friendly and helpful, we feel very safe and there are some amazing things to see.

Turkey. Though to be honest everyone I know loves Turkey. DD backpacked safely through there for a month by herself when she was about 22. We have been there three times and it is certainly one of our favourite places.

New Caledonia. Seems to have the reputation of being boring and expensive but both times I have been there I have really enjoyed it.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:33 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,236,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ohio - it's a very pleasant, naturally beautiful and affordable place to live. I am tired of unwarranted negative comments and snide innuendos about the state.

Most Eastern European countries are the butt of jokes, and are depicted as backwards and just not worth visiting. Having been to several, nothing could be further from the truth.
I was born in Cincinnati when Dad was at college there and returned there to go to UC myself. I moved 3 years after graduation when I changed jobs. Great place.

DH and I loved Croatia and I'm booked for a tour of Eastern Europe in August of next year. I'm hoping to leave some of his ashes in Dubrovnik, which is probably one of our favorite places of all the places we've visited- a rare combination of scenic beauty and fascinating history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel