U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:33 PM

15,314 posts, read 26,456,714 times

Advertisements

Back in March, I booked a rental car for the month of October for $650. The same car was going for $1245 when I went back and checked yesterday. OUCH.

I think that I will be driving my beater this year on long trips on any additional trips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 11:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,976 posts, read 46,539,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I think that I will be driving my beater this year on long trips on any additional trips.
I have been known to buy a beater at my flying destination (when they could be had for $100.). I would sell to a scrap yard for $100 when I left the area. Or arrange for scrap dealer to pick the car up at airport if I had an early or late flight.

Really tough to find beaters FS under $1000 these days.

Need the 'island' creative mentally... Rent private vehicles from office workers who don't want to pay parking fees. One we rented in Penang had 2 baby seats, + a lot of stuff in the trunk.
Pick it up on the street at 8 am. Must have it back by the time they got off work at 7pm. (But not before). Worked well for us, since the hotel did not have any available parking.

I have arranged to buy used cars for our international guests, then sell when they were done with it. Next week... I have 2 of our cars lent out to traveling friends. It makes 'travel memories' for them. Not everyone has had the pleasure and excitement of driving a $35 car.!

The few 'Rent-a-wrecks' I have rented in Hawaii were far worse shape than my $35 cars. I keep very good performance rated tires and brakes on mine. Rent-a-wreck...Down right scary (bad brakes and bald tires) one had a baseball sized lump on the sidewall. It bounced all over the road.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-15-2021 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 06:08 AM

10,171 posts, read 22,598,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Does anyone have any experience with renting a car with the shortage going on?

I have a trip planned to Alaska in late June and I'd hate to get up there only to find out that they don't have a car waiting for me. I guess I should call a day or two before to make sure they'll have one ready.
When Covid hit in the US over a year ago, all major rental companies dumped a large percent of their fleet and laid off a large percent of employees because they thought ALL travel was halted; boy were they wrong!! Many aren’t back to full staff yet. Go to any local airport and you’ll see two-three people max working counter with a 90 min wait. They used to have four or five for peak times and holidays.

They made a rash decision and it’s biting them in the ass and frustrating customers all over. Enterprise basically ignored their walk in customers and scheduled customers and focused on corporate accounts. They would tell their managers to cancel all airport bookings and walk ins.. even if you have a reservation! Imagine flying I
in and being told’ “sorry, we know you flew 1500 miles and expected a car, but we don’t have one.”

You would think they would get their s$it together by now.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:24 PM

9,522 posts, read 4,504,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Due to the price/scarcity of rental cars, I'm hearing of people renting U-Hauls for $39/day, and just using those.
Okay this had me laughing way more than it should have. That's a good idea.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:49 AM

13,168 posts, read 26,389,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Back in March, I booked a rental car for the month of October for $650. The same car was going for $1245 when I went back and checked yesterday. OUCH.

Yep going to Nashville from Savannah and was going to fly, but the car rental crunch I'm driving, wanted a car so I can wander outside Nashville that would be too far to Uber. It's only about 8 hours drive so not too bad

Old 05-19-2021, 09:02 PM

15,314 posts, read 26,456,714 times
I have had the "OPPORTUNITY" of buying junkyard dogs from friends and neighbors.

And both have come close to killing me at least once.

In one vehicle, the car's automatic transmission would not stay in park and the car the I parked nearly ran me over and caused a concussion.

In the second, the steering was not well defined and resulted in the car hitting a ditch twice.

You are not going to get a car that can be safely operated for much under $3000 even before the pandemic.

I am now convinced that the best beater is the car you purchase new and drive FOREVER.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:24 AM

3,738 posts, read 1,985,563 times
Haven't experienced a shortage because I've rented cars in less popular trip destinations: Cincinnati and St. Louis. Both cars were unusually expensive though (~$500 for a week)

Old 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM

9,874 posts, read 18,455,065 times
Booked a mid-sized Cadillac ‘or equivalent’ for our current Arizona trip because it was about $50 more for the week than the Chevy Spark option. Got to Phoenix airport and Hertz told me they didn’t have that car class right now so just pick from the President’s Circle aisle so we came away with a BMW X5 for $50 more than the econobox and I’m rather okay with that.

Once in a while you do get lucky.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:59 PM

7,490 posts, read 8,332,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Haven't experienced a shortage because I've rented cars in less popular trip destinations: Cincinnati and St. Louis. Both cars were unusually expensive though (~$500 for a week)
Yea! Last few weeks I've been searching for rental cars for a ton of places for the rest of this year (NYC suburbs, Boston, Philadelphia, Maine, Atlanta, Greensboro, Dallas, Houston, etc) and all of em are way more expensive than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Booked a mid-sized Cadillac ‘or equivalent’ for our current Arizona trip because it was about $50 more for the week than the Chevy Spark option. Got to Phoenix airport and Hertz told me they didn’t have that car class right now so just pick from the President’s Circle aisle so we came away with a BMW X5 for $50 more than the econobox and I’m rather okay with that.

Once in a while you do get lucky.
What's the "mid-sized Cadillac" class? Is that Premium? Full-size?

Old 05-22-2021, 09:39 PM

9,874 posts, read 18,455,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

What's the "mid-sized Cadillac" class? Is that Premium? Full-size?
I think it was Ultimate or some other niche classification where they dump you into the President’s Circle area if Hertz doesn’t have they class in stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel