U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 12:36 PM

12,408 posts, read 9,806,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
This was a time before Uber or Lyft, so I went down the line, one by one, waiting in long lines, until I could find a car. I had a five-hour drive ahead of me, so taxi was not an option. I landed with a reservation from (A) and drove away a few hours later with a car from (B). If no cars were available, I would have stuck to my original reservation and waited it out at an airport hotel.

Kinda curious if "A" assisted with finding the rental from "B" or if that was something you found on your own?

The problem I'll have.. Is that the cost will at least double.. Because I prepaid the rental in January. So, if I have to get one from somewhere else, the cost will be significantly more.

Now, if they decide they can't get me a car.. again, there's some logic to this where if *I* didn't show up, I would forfeit the pre-paid amount.. So.. If they don't provide me a car after I've prepaid, they ought to forfeit double what I paid..

Highly doubt that argument would work, but.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,964 posts, read 46,519,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Kinda curious if "A" assisted with finding the rental from "B" or if that was something you found on your own?

In each case for me, Company A has handled getting a car from Company B.

Sometimes I have needed to insist Company A find me an available vehicle.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

2,395 posts, read 1,219,847 times
Automakers are the source of this problem, and now rental agencies are price gouging.
Such bull$hit.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,151 posts, read 64,005,314 times
Some rental companies are even selling some of their cars due to the high prices on used cars now. I just looked up several sources and found that 2017 F150 XLTs like mine are selling for what I paid for mine new nearly 4 years ago. We drove by several big dealerships this weekend and were amazed at the empty lots. One relative just bought a new car this weekend and the sales person said they have no loaners for service, those have all been sold.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 1,982,857 times
Where are shortages/dramatic price increases not happening (or at least less severe)?

I'd like to take another trip later in the summer, but I'm fine with pretty much anywhere --- I wouldn't mind exploring somewhere like North Dakota or Alabama. I guess my other option would be flying into a city like NYC and just using public transit, which would also be fun.

Old Today, 04:53 AM

2,214 posts, read 983,866 times
It is the same problem here. A friend was quoted about $US2,300 for a one way rental in Queensland for a few days, for a trip of 300 miles. Was much cheaper to fly south to Brisbane and then fly north again to their destination.
Seems the companies all sold off a lot of vehicles last year and can wait several months for new ones to arrive.

Old Today, 05:43 AM

10,173 posts, read 22,592,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Automakers are the source of this problem, and now rental agencies are price gouging.
Such bull$hit.
Automakers aren’t the problem. Rental agencies sold off a large amount of their fleet starting last March; they also let go a huge amount of staff. They’re now struggling to correct their rash decision, which was made due to Covid, and they’re slowing, very slowing, coming backs

Most of these agencies were focusing on thei corporate accounts... not public. I had no issue renting a car 2x in April and again 10’days ago.

Old Today, 11:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 4,880,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Automakers aren’t the problem. Rental agencies sold off a large amount of their fleet starting last March; they also let go a huge amount of staff. They’re now struggling to correct their rash decision, which was made due to Covid, and they’re slowing, very slowing, coming backs

Most of these agencies were focusing on thei corporate accounts... not public. I had no issue renting a car 2x in April and again 10’days ago.
I think the whole rental car shortage/availability is very location and time of year driven.

It's definitely NOT one size fits all when it comes to what is happening around the US and the world, with regards to rental cars.

Some places probably have little to no issues, while other places are a mess!

Old Today, 02:46 PM

2,490 posts, read 6,589,265 times
I am going to Ft Lauerdale in 3 months. Hotwire has a rav4 or similiar for $83/day for a $660 trip cost for the 5 days or so I'll need the car for. Booked on turo a new crv for a total cost of $236 before any insurance including delivery fee of $35
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel