Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 07:37 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Make sure others have keys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 04:31 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Don’t know if anyone mentioned passwords, but find a secure way to bring any passwords you might need. We flew from Sydney to Santiago in Chile and I completely forgot my banking password (something with the jet-lag) and later had to reset it. We have just had a week at our apartment in the next state and I needed some password I had forgotten to log in with the different internet.

Where we just stayed the whole island is cash free at the moment. I wondered what they do with arrivals who do not have a credit card. It is not illegal not to have one so they must have some arrangement. But I suppose I could add that you have to have a card.

Earplugs, for if you are used to sleeping in a quiet place. I loathe being in places where you can hear the neighbours moving about.

I keep a list of things to take with my passport and find it reduces the stress of getting away from home.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Don’t know if anyone mentioned passwords, but find a secure way to bring any passwords you might need. We flew from Sydney to Santiago in Chile and I completely forgot my banking password (something with the jet-lag) and later had to reset it. We have just had a week at our apartment in the next state and I needed some password I had forgotten to log in with the different internet.

Where we just stayed the whole island is cash free at the moment. I wondered what they do with arrivals who do not have a credit card. It is not illegal not to have one so they must have some arrangement. But I suppose I could add that you have to have a card.

Earplugs, for if you are used to sleeping in a quiet place. I loathe being in places where you can hear the neighbours moving about.

I keep a list of things to take with my passport and find it reduces the stress of getting away from home.
Passwords are a great idea!

Old 07-05-2021, 06:42 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Thanks everyone. The grand vacation has been accomplished and we are back home. We put over 8,000 miles on the car! The trip was amazing and for the first three quarters of it, all I could think was I wish we could do this forever. I want this vacation to last forever and ever. Then, gradually just as we started heading home, I started wanting to go home more and more. Until the last day when I really wanted to get home. I suppose 32 days is the perfect vacation length for us. LOL.

We had our neighbors watch the house from the outside every day and a good friend check things out on the inside once a week. We only had one real crisis. On day five, our neighbors called to say that there was a big leak from some equipment at the side of our house. It turned out to be the back flow regulator. It was a pretty horrible evening because I was feeling ill (I have a digestive condition which decided to flare up on that particular day); we were exhausted, having hiked about 10 miles from 6am to noon then driven 6 hours to our destination for that evening which turned out to be one of our worst AirBnbs. Then I had to deal with the leak on top of it. But I figured out how to get it fixed remotely and I felt better eventually and we left the crummy AirBnb the next day, so it all worked out.

So many highlights, but probably the very best segment was 5 days we spent at Sequoia National Park. It was really cool not just seeing the sequoias, but learning to ID them (and other conifers) and discovering them growing in other locations. We rented a cute cabin down at 1,000 feet or so (in Three Rivers) and it wasn’t until the third day that I realized we had sequoias growing there too, they just weren’t giant because they weren’t in an optimal environment. Every day we also took a different amazing hike.

The main purpose of the trip was birding though. We wound up seeing at least 270 different species and photographing most of them.

Thankfully, we didn’t hit the Pacific Northwest. But we did get our share of heat. The hottest we experienced was 111 degrees in Three Rivers. But the hottest we birded in was 107 degrees in Nevada. That was pretty insane.

I am looking forward to traveling as little as possible the rest of the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel