Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 07:11 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, packing light, makes the trip easier. You can get fed up of dragging in & out your suitcases every few nights, & not everywhere will have lifts, only stairs, or the lift may be broken. I would limit to one carry on size of baggage each. Do laundry or have the hotel do it. Plus bags in the car overnight attract vandals/theives.
Unfortunately, due to a medical condition (chronic pancreatitis) I mostly have to cook my own food from scratch (w some exceptions). So we will also need to bring food and some cooking utensils and other kitchen items from place to place. Sigh. Even if we just decide to buy food on the road, we will still need to cart it from place to place since we will be staying in 14 different places and it’s not like we are going to buy everything we need for dinner at one place, then throw all the remaining food and ingredients out and buy more stuff the next day. We have travelled this way in the past (I have had the condition for four years now) and we have a way of doing things. Typically we need about 2 to 3 bags besides the cooler. The bags are for non-perishable items like pasta, rice, bread and non-perishable fruits and veggies, but also things like Tupperware for leftovers, towels, veggie peeler, good knife, plastic wrap, plastic storage bags, paper plates, plastic utensils, a kitchen scale (I can only tolerate so many ounces of certain foods and have gotten in trouble in the past by guessing), etc. It is a drag and it’s going to make the Prius C even more cramped. But my parents, back in the day, did long road trips with my sister and I and actually camped each night in addition to making their food (just to save $$, not for medical reasons). And they did it. So I keep reminding myself that we have it easy in comparison!

And on the subject of space in the Prius C, we are also carrying birding gear — binoculars, camera, lenses, a monopod, a spotting scope.

We have made it all fit in the past without any blockage of sight-lines. , but it takes some fair bit of strategizing and experimentation.

But anyway, so much for traveling light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 07:37 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Unfortunately, due to a medical condition (chronic pancreatitis) I mostly have to cook my own food from scratch (w some exceptions). So we will also need to bring food and some cooking utensils and other kitchen items from place to place. Sigh. Even if we just decide to buy food on the road, we will still need to cart it from place to place since we will be staying in 14 different places and it’s not like we are going to buy everything we need for dinner at one place, then throw all the remaining food and ingredients out and buy more stuff the next day. We have travelled this way in the past (I have had the condition for four years now) and we have a way of doing things. Typically we need about 2 to 3 bags besides the cooler. The bags are for non-perishable items like pasta, rice, bread and non-perishable fruits and veggies, but also things like Tupperware for leftovers, towels, veggie peeler, good knife, plastic wrap, plastic storage bags, paper plates, plastic utensils, a kitchen scale (I can only tolerate so many ounces of certain foods and have gotten in trouble in the past by guessing), etc. It is a drag and it’s going to make the Prius C even more cramped. But my parents, back in the day, did long road trips with my sister and I and actually camped each night in addition to making their food (just to save $$, not for medical reasons). And they did it. So I keep reminding myself that we have it easy in comparison!

And on the subject of space in the Prius C, we are also carrying birding gear — binoculars, camera, lenses, a monopod, a spotting scope.

We have made it all fit in the past without any blockage of sight-lines. , but it takes some fair bit of strategizing and experimentation.

Oh bummer. But that makes it even more important to only take a few changes of clothes along. I hope you see some wonderful birds on your trip. Have fun.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:57 AM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:

While we don't do heavy cooking while on the road we do utilize the microwaves and mini fridges where ever we stay. It is not really all about saving money (it does help on extended road trips) but we like having sandwiches or a microwavable meal for the twins or make a basic salad or fresh fruit. It is a bit of a chore unloading and then reloading with fresh ice each morning and like you we bring along plastic utensils and paper plates and bowls.

You see a lot of family's or couples on the road doing the same. You figure over two to three weeks a family of four can spend a good bit of money taking all their meals at restaurants.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
While we don't do heavy cooking while on the road .. but we like having sandwiches or a microwavable meal ...or make a basic salad or fresh fruit. It is a bit of a chore unloading and then reloading with fresh ice each morning and like you we bring along plastic utensils and paper plates and bowls.

You see a lot of family's or couples on the road doing the same. You figure over two to three weeks a family of four can spend a good bit of money taking all their meals at restaurants.
We travel over 50% of the time, but seldom use cafes or fast food (even with family). A quick trip to the produce dept early in the morning often brings great deals on fresh fruit and veggies that are being 'culled' for bruises or age. We spend the same on food whether at home or on the road. ~$100/ month for family of 4. (subject to change very soon with inflation, likely will double to $200 / month). When in AG producing areas we check for local gleaners who have excess produce from commercial farms. Since we stay in guest homes, the hosts often stock us up every day with local food / extra meals. We get a motel or B&B about one night / week as Guest Homes are not always available, or we may have an early flight.

For packing light, you can always pickup some gear / clothes at a thrift store and 're-donate' while on the road. We did that often while on one yr long RTW, with only one small carry-on each. That became important when in areas of varying climate/ (Such as The Netherlands for tulips (burr / cold))

Old 05-14-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Oh bummer. But that makes it even more important to only take a few changes of clothes along. I hope you see some wonderful birds on your trip. Have fun.
Yes, I agree about not bringing too many clothes. But I have found that it is important to bring at least three pairs of shoes — one set of normal shoes, one pair of sneakers and one pair of boots, particularly if you are going to be doing a lot of hiking/bushwhacking/mucking around. If you need more clothes you can always wash the old ones or even buy something new quick, but it is more difficult with shoes, particularly if you have difficult feet like some of us do.

Also, about packing light: My husband is actually the king of packing light. We have travelled the world, and the only luggage he actually owns is one (small) carry-on bag. Part of the way he can get away with this is just sticking stuff in my suitcase if it doesn’t fit in his (think heavy coat), while still feeling great that he can travel the world with “only” his tiny suitcase, LOL. But on at least one occasion, he did actually pack too light. We were spending 18 days birding in Ecuador and he only brought two pairs of pants. His idea is that we was going to have one pair washed while he wore the other pair. But one thing he didn’t think through is that when you send your laundry out, it doesn’t get washed immediately. You actually have to wait … sometimes even 24 hours! Anyway, he sent his pants and other stuff out to get washed, put on his second pair of pants and within about an hour had slipped and fallen in a huge muddy area (we were in a cloud forest —- believe me, lots of mud). I have to admit it was pretty funny seeing him somehow try to deal with the situation ….

Old 05-14-2021, 10:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
AmEx's usual data mining is actually useful for travel stuff- last few times I've given them an 'out of the country' call, the response has been thanks but they already know I'm going.

I'm a big fan of extended stay hotels when available and reasonably priced- love the bigger room size and almost full kitchen with tableware and pots and the cost per night is often on par with the Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express option.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
AmEx's usual data mining is actually useful for travel stuff- last few times I've given them an 'out of the country' call, the response has been thanks but they already know I'm going.

I'm a big fan of extended stay hotels when available and reasonably priced- love the bigger room size and almost full kitchen with tableware and pots and the cost per night is often on par with the Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express option.
Yes, we have done extended stay hotels in the past. At the moment we’re on an AirBnb kick.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:42 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
This summer my husband and I will be leaving on our first ever very long vacation — 34 days from out the door to back home again. Does anyone have any tips? Planning this feels very different from planning a one week or even two week vacation.

Things that I have already thought of:

*Bills — we will miss an entire billing cycle, so I will need to set up automatic payments or handle this in some other way.
* Mail — the post office only holds mail for 30 days. I suppose we could just have them hold thirty days, then let the extra four days accumulate in the mail box.
* Medicines — we need to make sure we will have enough before we leave and get prescription renewed.

Anything else I am not thinking of?

We don’t have any pets, so that is one thing we don’t have to worry about.

We usually have someone watch our house when we are out, but only from the outside. (They don’t have a key.) Maybe we should find someone we trust to come inside. (My husband is extremely hesitant to give anyone who is not a family member a key to our place, though, and we have no family members nearby).
Tips?

Sure Jill.

Bring 4 times the money you think it's going to cost...and don't have it all in the same place...

Hire a "bondable" person to live in your place, while you're gone. (There are professional people that do this.) Keep your guns locked up.

DO NOT take your jewelry. (If you just HAVE to take jewelry, have a jeweler make up some copies w/CZ.) This way, you don't risk your good stuff. The LAST thing you want to do, is draw attention to yourself, when traveling.

Lastly, have a good time, and post up some pics when you return!

Old 05-15-2021, 05:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Post office keeps hanging roles. Once I came back and found that in day-31, they stamp it all Return to Sender. Have a neighbor save it for you.

Take a bare minimum of clothes. Pick things at yard sales, a great place to chat with locals..Your new-found fashion statements will keep you both in stitches. I always pack my pending discards and don't bring them home.

Take a campstove. You can enjoy your usual home cooking on the road, save hundreds. Couple pots and pans, plates and spoons, from thrift shops. For quickies, rotisseried chicken and a fresh baguette at the spmkt are half the price of a bucket at KFC. Make sure your cookpot is big enough to cook fresh corn from the roadside. Wife and I used to make a corn trip every summer.

Your food will keep fine overnight without ice, in a chest. Just make sure it's blanket-covered, proyected from direct sun in the car. Check and see if your glove comprtment will keep a drink or two cool from the AC. If you motel every night, use their freezer to refreeze plastic bottles of water, instead of buying ice.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:49 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am particularly concerned about the water. I want to shut it off, but if we do that, how will we keep the lawn watered? (We have an automatic sprinkler system.) And if the lawn is not watered for a month, it will die and I don’t want to have to pay for re-sodding (of course). I suppose there should be a way of turning off the water on the inside of the house, but not the outside, but unfortunately, neither my husband or I have any clue how to do it. One idea my husband had is hiring a plumber to fix a tiny leak we have, then while he is here ask him about this.
Wait a minute. You live in Florida and are going away during the summer; i.e., rainy season when it thunders and rains virtually every afternoon. There is no way that you're grass won't get enough water naturally.

Quote:
We have this bizarre plumbing manifold system where all the shutoffs for everything are in the garage (and poorly labeled). I’m not even sure exactly how it works. I just know it’s not what most people have for plumbing.
Oh, god. That sounds like a polybutylene pipes system. Was your house built in the 70s, 80s, or early 90s by chance? If so, you better find the valve to shut off the water to the interior of the house when you leave because PB pipes are infamous for leaking and bursting with no notice. So much so, that there was a class-action lawsuit in the mid-90s that finally ended their use in new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel