U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:42 PM

13,424 posts, read 8,757,432 times

Advertisements

https://www.redbookmag.com/life/g306...united-states/

Quote:
Looking for an escape from vacation clichés? Check out this list of the best off-the-beaten-path destinations across the United States.

Time for a little post-COVID travel!

These are great
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 07:46 PM

7,505 posts, read 11,958,186 times
None of the Colorado listings are exactly what I'd call hidden gems. All of them, with the exception of Blue Lakes, are overrun by tourons every year. Brainard Lake is so overcrowded that they're switching to a timed permit entry system this year.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:11 PM

194 posts, read 54,227 times
The one Vermont option isn't Stowe, Woodstock, or Killington, so I'll give it points for that.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:33 AM

55 posts, read 25,218 times
Any website about "Hidden Gems" that starts off with Mackinac Island, Michigan, can't be taken very seriously, I'm afraid.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:02 AM

46,380 posts, read 66,516,120 times
Maybe not hidden gems, but I really like this website:
www.onlyinyourstate.com
So many places to explore, and all neatly categorized.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:30 AM

1,084 posts, read 410,473 times
Is there a link to a list anywhere? I'm really bad at exploring clickbait.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:18 AM

14,004 posts, read 8,124,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Any website about "Hidden Gems" that starts off with Mackinac Island, Michigan, can't be taken very seriously, I'm afraid.
Exactly my first thought. Starts with "avoid the typical tourist traps" and gives a tourist trap as the first option.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:39 AM

10,270 posts, read 18,913,371 times
I’m bemused at the inclusion of the Salton Sea in CA. You can’t even take your dog for a walk in there because the fish can’t live in the foul water and then the birds die from botulism from eating the dead fish so everything living thing in the food chain dies and you’d have to watch your dog to keep it from eating any of the dead fish or birds whose bodies litter the lakeshore. Yeah, great place to send a tourist. It is beautiful and almost unearthly to drive by on your way to the date farms though.

Oh yah and those art colonies? I think they’re mainly thinking of Slab City, a place that literally has no laws and is very dangerous after dark or even daylight. It’s possible to go and it’s a very enjoyable experience but I went with a big group.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:57 PM

12,455 posts, read 5,177,800 times
I couldn't access the Redbook link...so maybe this was mentioned, maybe not.

Purina Farms, in Missouri. It's been years and years since I've been there, but it's free to get in, and it's all about domestic animals. Dogs, cats, sheep, horses, cows...etc. It's an enjoyable way to spend the day. https://www.purina.com/about-purina/purina-farms/visit

Old 05-13-2021, 02:09 PM

69,636 posts, read 65,053,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
None of the Colorado listings are exactly what I'd call hidden gems. All of them, with the exception of Blue Lakes, are overrun by tourons every year. Brainard Lake is so overcrowded that they're switching to a timed permit entry system this year.
Really. I've been to Colorado once, forty years ago, to visit a friend who had moved from NJ to Colorado Springs, and Garden of the Gods was the first place she took me to. Twenty years after that, my neighbor's father died of a heart attack in the park while his parents were on vacation. So if people from 2000 miles away know about it, it's hardly a hidden gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel