Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 01:08 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,693,436 times

Advertisements

I'm a few weeks away from being fully vaccinated and I'm already considering ramping up my travel plans for the rest of 2021

For those how love beaches but not humid 90-100 degree weather, what destinations would you recommend for slightly cooler temperatures for a July trip?

I just returned from Miami and go there multiple times a year; I cannot take a July trip to Miami. Did that once and almost melted. Would love to go somewhere that won't be over run with tourists as I need a bit of a secluded getaway; somewhere to really clear my mind/relax and just zone out staring at the waves. I'm thinking 4-6 days and it might just end up having to be over July 4th weekend (unfortunately as that's when I have my next time off).

Any suggestions?

If I can't do a beach I might just be open to a place that has weather that is cooler (i.e., not scorching like Miami) as long as it has beautiful surroundings (so I'm slightly open to doing a lake or mountain trip or something along those lines).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 01:21 PM

765 posts, read 610,660 times
Maine has cooler weather and more secluded beaches. I haven't been in a while, but there's some nice places to relax there.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,526,122 times
Peggy's Cove, NS, (Many areas nearby are very nice and not at all crowded. We often stay with a friend in Luneburg, but Halifax is closer (but busy).

Or Newfoundland (if open)

USA = NH (including Lake Winnipesaukee) and Maine. (We fly to Manchester, Portland, ME, or Boston for this region)

+ PNW and AK.

SanJuan Islands (WA State) are great in July / Aug with wild berries and Salmon too! Take red-eye flights to not waste a day traveling.

Great Lakes, Thousand Islands, Apostle Islands, ...

Old 05-14-2021, 03:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,486,761 times
I like Wheeler and Scarborough beaches in Point Judith Rhode Island as well as Easton's in Newport RI. They can get busy during the summer but they will have cooler temps/water, access to great seafood and of course, everything in Newport.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:19 PM

13,260 posts, read 22,670,360 times
There's a lot of awesome sandy shoreline along the Michigan side of Lake Michigan and they get pleasant and mild summers by Atlanta standards. The hard part can be avoiding the tourists, but space opens up in a lot of the state parks and Sleeping Bear NL if you're willing to work a little bit to get there.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:29 PM

10,141 posts, read 6,577,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm a few weeks away from being fully vaccinated and I'm already considering ramping up my travel plans for the rest of 2021

For those how love beaches but not humid 90-100 degree weather, what destinations would you recommend for slightly cooler temperatures for a July trip?

I just returned from Miami and go there multiple times a year; I cannot take a July trip to Miami. Did that once and almost melted. Would love to go somewhere that won't be over run with tourists as I need a bit of a secluded getaway; somewhere to really clear my mind/relax and just zone out staring at the waves. I'm thinking 4-6 days and it might just end up having to be over July 4th weekend (unfortunately as that's when I have my next time off).

Any suggestions?

If I can't do a beach I might just be open to a place that has weather that is cooler (i.e., not scorching like Miami) as long as it has beautiful surroundings (so I'm slightly open to doing a lake or mountain trip or something along those lines).
So, let's see...

Empty beach during 4th of July celebration? Check

Mild temperature during 4th of July? Check

Not over run with tourists (of which you ARE one...)? Check

Solace to gaze, aimlessly at the waves? Check

Allandale Island Queensland Au.

Perfect!

Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 PM

10,716 posts, read 5,518,947 times
Michigan? Like Mackinaw City or Grand Haven. Michigan has a dozen beautiful suitable beaches for summer leisure.

Atlantic City Beach.

Ocean Beach, MD?

I don’t know how much cooler Virginia Beach would be in July, but I would expect it to be somewhat cooler than Miami. I doubt Myrtle Beach would be much cooler.

I have never been to any, so I am just trying to help out. It seems there are tons of suitable northern beaches. You can watch YouTubes of them to find one right for you.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:42 AM

1,199 posts, read 920,107 times
If you want quiet, not overrun with people, I recommend Beaver Island in Michigan.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:28 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,109,196 times
Surprised no one said to head out west. California, Oregon, and Washington all have beautiful beaches and the temps are way cooler most of the time than in Florida. The summer Pacific water temps are more like Florida's in the winter and early spring.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:21 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,524,785 times
Miscou Island, New Brunswick, or anywhere out in that direction. It's a closer drive than Nova Scotia, 4th of July is not a holiday. Take a big pot, cook a lobster, and have the beach all to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel