Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 08:09 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times

Advertisements

If you've ever rented/stayed in one overnight say through AirBnb, what did you think? I'm thinking about renting a yurt for an evening this summer.

Last edited by santafe400; 05-16-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 05:26 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Yes we have. It was in a Northern Colorado campground in June and it had no heat or cooling. We froze at night and burned up in the daytime. The walk to the shower and bath rooms was a quarter mile. Will never do this again.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:41 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I stayed in a really interesting structure in India. They said it would be a "tent". Some tent! It was a cement foundation and included Western-style indoor plumbing and electricity, but the upper part was a structure that, sure enough, zipped closed all around you. It had A/C, too but I didn't need it. It was cool to hear the critters outside at night.

I'm sure there are yurts and there are yurts. You may get one like nalabama described or you may get something like the tent where I stayed.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
It is a matter of matching wants / expectations / season with the right yurt.

Nearby to you options found here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sant...i457.13104j1j7

This one looks pretty nice.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/35003702
Can find cheaper or more expensive probably.

I stayed at a big one a couple times in winter with lots of college friends long ago for maybe 5 days at a time. Had stove, kitchen, plenty of different inner & outer circle spaces, outhouse.

Would do it again in right circumstance; but generally prefer to camp for much less or free, so it hasn't happened.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-16-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 06:22 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
AirBnB? No.

In March 2010 I stayed in a few on the Oregon coast in Oregon state parks. They had unit heaters. They were quite nice. We didn't have to pack a tent when we drove up to Portland and back home.

NH has some yurts, but they are kinda pricey - a $27 premium over a regular spot.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
As mentioned a yurt can have a wide range of amenities and comfort.
Some people live in them FT.
Weather?... if in eastern USA and in mid summer I would want to know precisely the AC / ventialtion situation.
They could be fully comfort controlled!, But I don't go east of MO river after May 30. Until Oct.

I have used them in state parks (minimal amenities, but dry!, usually...)
No AC, minimal air circulation, but space heaters (for winter)

Old 05-17-2021, 08:39 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Asking if someone has ever stayed in a yurt is a little like asking if anyone has ever stayed in a house. Yurts come in a huge range from the very basic to luxury. We stayed in what was billed as a
“luxury yurt” near the Great Smoky Mountains and it was one of our best lodging experiences ever. Of course, this yurt was pretty large, beautifully decorated, and had a gorgeous, highly functional bathroom, A/C and heat, a washer, a dryer, WiFi, a fully stocked kitchen with too-notch appliances, etc. etc. Your yurt may vary.

The specifically yurt-like things we liked were the skylight and the curved, canvas walls: lots of light, a neat shape and easy to hear natural sounds through the canvas walls (of course, hearing things through the walls could easily be a drawback depending on the location).

Old 05-17-2021, 10:38 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I stayed in a yurt for a couple weeks way back in 2001. However, it did not have indoor plumbing; we used a shower house that had restrooms, sinks and showers. It was rustic but quite comfortable and had a deck in front where we could chillax.

You can go from stripped down basic to high end, connnecting yurts with full baths, kitchens, etc. If you were going to live in one, you can weatherize for your particular location and even install a wood burning stove for heat.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:32 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
I stayed in an Airbnb yurt for a weekend while apartment-hunting in Greensboro, NC in 2017. It was in the backyard of someone's house but separated enough for privacy. Fully furnished plus an HVAC unit and space heaters. Bathroom was in the main house, though. Very relaxing place to stay.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Years ago, my family & I stayed in yurts a couple of times in state parks in Oregon. There was sleeping room for 4 people, I think. You still needed a sleeping bag, as there were no linens. There was a picnic table & barbecue outside, restrooms & showers down the road. Very peaceful.

It was a nice break from a LONG tent camping trip. I’m guessing a air bnb yurt would be more posh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel